Climate change (because it's still political for some reason)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
His vacation home at least. If the water levels are rising in West Virginia, we've already lost and I'm probably posting this from a raft somewhere in the newly expanded Atlantic Ocean.
Just to be clear, there is literal flooding in West Virginia going on right now and it is the result of climate change. Just not from rising ocean levels directly.

And I'm pretty sure if the ocean level rises anywhere enough to affect houses, we're already doomed.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Just to be clear, there is literal flooding in West Virginia going on right now and it is the result of climate change. Just not from rising ocean levels directly.

And I'm pretty sure if the ocean level rises anywhere enough to affect houses, we're already doomed.
There are numerous pacific islands that are literally disappearing, and have been slowly "sinking" for years now. Granted, the populations displaced currently are relatively small, but it is already happening.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
True enough. Kentucky and West Virginia have both been hit pretty hard by the latest round of extreme weather, but people like Manchin still like to insist that freak weather events AREN'T linked to climate change and are more due to dumb luck or god's will.

When somewhere like New York, Tokyo or Shanghai starts facing major 'sinkage' issues we are in for a world of trouble. It won't be a few thousand islanders displaced, it will be HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS displaced. If anything is gonna trigger WWIII, that will.(I know New Orleans is already in a bad state due to this sort of thing, but their issue has just as much to do with being built on unstable ground as it does with rising sea levels)

wonko the sane?

Citizen
New orleans got what was coming to it: When you build a city in a flood plain, you get flooded.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen

The greater NYC metro area and its largest suburbs are to be surrounded by 900 miles of seawalls and gates, costing $50 billion, estimated completion in 2040.

This is not concept art, it's a real development project. "The Expanse" was right. The era of even pretending to talk about prevention is over. The era of trying to technologically cope is here.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Eh, they've been trying to one-up each other for centuries. How is this new? It's a dysfunctional parent-child relationship, always has been, just not as outwardly hostile as it was in the early 19th century..

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
I haven't seen anything even remotely approximating "good news" on this topic in decades, so this is kind of nice:

The 2020-2021 increase in GHG output was over 2 billion tons; the 2021-2022 increase was 300 million tons. This is thought to be a result of greater fuel efficiency, more normalization for electric cars, and Russia deliberately cutting its fuel outputs to freeze Europe.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Cool. And only half of Europe will have to freeze to death for it to happen. But at least we can blame bad people for that.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Here in RI, it was 70 last week, then in the mid-40s for a few days, then back up to the high 60s to low 70s.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
If we lived in a just society, ExxonMobile would have had their corporate charter revoked LONG ago.
I'm frankly surprised they aren't leading the clean energy industry. by the 90's they had it pegged that they were RIGHT, so you diversify the portfolio, right? Or am I really that disconnected from the means to make money?

Top Bottom