Activision-Blizzard Thread: Just announced the Layoffs of 1900 jobs.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Maybe they should think about quitting game design and just get into the Animation game because damn this one was damn good,

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The animated shorts were always the best part of Overwatch. I still love Reinhardt and Bastion's clips too.

Ironbite4

Citizen
RISE FROM THE DEAD THREAD!

Ok so, getting off the Sexual Harassment train, we need to also go into the aquistion of ActivBliz by Microsoft. We all heard about that right? The $69(nice) billion that MIcrosoft was gonna pony up to acquire ActivBliz for it's massive(snerk) game library? That one. Well a few setbacks have happened to it. First off, UK's version of the FTC decided that no, this ain't good for consumers, we ain't gonna allow you to do business in our country if you go through with this. Which led to Microsoft going "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE WANT CALL OF DUTY!" and appealing.

So that's an ongoing thing and ActivBliz has also entered the fray. Because that's how you're gonna do it. Be united. Be together. Be blocked by the FTC. Wait what?

Yeah seems the good ol' boys at the Federal Trade Commission basically told ActivBliz and Microsoft that the deal is off. Microsoft and ActivBliz apparently are stupid and said that this means the deal is ready to go at any time and we're just waiting for liftoff boys!

Ironbite-should be funny to see how this plays out.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
The FTC likely will not win this one.

They have let Sony have too many monopolies as well as other companies, and their own arguments have been fundamentally flawed. More than likely this will go against the FTC. The only reason they are fighting this hard is because they are still angry that Microsoft beat them before.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Microsoft is not going to let this go. They need the IP, and Activision needs Microsoft to take over too. I don't see this move as being anti-consumer, especially since Microsoft wants to sell software on all the platforms. Minecraft is prime example of their business tactics. Flood it on every system, license it out to toy companies, and turn it into a cash cow. Making games like Call of Duty Platform exclusive cuts their software sales down a tremendous amount in order to get additional console sales which they usually lose money on, all while risking the good will of the community.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
And again... FTC has basically gone

"Poor little Sony.. Such a small baby company... Here.. Have ANOTHER monopoly in the US."

"Microsoft beat us before... They are such big bullies how dare they!!!"

"Nintendo doesn't matter in this because of "REASONS!!!!" Don't ask us!!!!"

"But but but! What about Nintendo?!"

Seriously.. Almost any argument the FTC has against this is defeated by their own words.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Microsoft beat us before... They are such big bullies how dare they!!!"
That one's particularly bile-raising, since Xbox has never beaten PlayStation in any generation since they've both been active.

Almost did it in the 360/PS3 race, but then people apparently decided that having their security compromised wasn't that big a deal and bought enough PS3s to pull PlayStation just ahead of Xbox by the end.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That one's particularly bile-raising, since Xbox has never beaten PlayStation in any generation since they've both been active.

Almost did it in the 360/PS3 race, but then people apparently decided that having their security compromised wasn't that big a deal and bought enough PS3s to pull PlayStation just ahead of Xbox by the end.
I think that he was referring to Microsoft beating the FTC in court before.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I think that he was referring to Microsoft beating the FTC in court before.

Yep.. The FTC has never forgiven Microsoft for that.. They have ignored other blatant Monopolies just to focus on ANYTHING to go after Microsoft... Seriously.. They are like Toku Villians, completely forgetting about what their objective is for... just to get petty revenge.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
What I don't understand is why so many people think this buyout is actually going to be good for anyone except the scumbags who caused all this and are going to be sent on their way with golden parachutes. Name one time a company with this much dirty laundry has been fixed by a buyout from a bigger megacorporation.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I'm honestly hoping they simply hand the IP's over to competent devs who were fans of the games, and future iterations get proper treatement. Literally all I want from this. Let the scumbags parachute away with their millions, so long as they **** off and never do anything in public again.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Arguably the current devs still there are those competent devs who are fans of the game, from everything I've heard about Dragonflight. Replace the management is all they really need to do... though there was something about an exodus recently due to management killing off the remote work initiatives. So undo that, hire back those people and you're good. At least as far as WOW is concerned, I haven't given Diablo 4 more than a cursory glance, and I never cared much about Overwatch et al, so I haven't followed whatever debacle happened there.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They are literally being as stupid as possible with overwatch 2. To the point where they are SELLING access to the game missions. That'll just help kill it faster, I think. Unless they are absolutely magnificent in play and crafting.

If replacing management is all that's needed to get them back on track to crafting wonderful game worlds and building on the franchises that already there: microsoft will accomplish that. I don't necessarily like how they are going about it, cause nobody needs literally thousands of game companies but it's also plainly obvious that no one can stop the companies that have more money than god.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Skylanders (Without Toys to Life) could be good.

For example, you could have a platformer with Spyro and some of similar Skylander characters. an young kids FPS with Trigger happy and a couple other shooters.

A dungeon crawler with Hex and Chop Chop.

Top Bottom