IMG_9927.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_1752.jpeg

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got this little angel cat marker off of Amazon and a paver stone to put it on. The wife and I still see him out of the corners of our eyes. Expect him to be in a room until we remember he is gone. We still miss him but I hope that this would make him happy.

Attachments

• 5D96E5C9-69FC-4F33-9C6D-E93DFE255A14.jpeg
    5D96E5C9-69FC-4F33-9C6D-E93DFE255A14.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 93

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
That's really sweet. I should've marked the spots where we buried our old pets better. I know the rough areas, the terrain is pretty rocky and we took random large stones to mark the spots. Problem is, there's a lot of other random large stones, and with lawn growth over the years, I'm not 100% sure which stones they're under.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I really wanted to put that marker there as we plan on putting in a flower bed there eventually, and I wanted to remember exactly where he is buried so I don't try to plant some annuals on top of his box.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Welp, STORY TIME!

So I was getting ready to mow the lawn; plugged in the battery, got the yard waste bag, and I opened the garage door. I saw an orange cat literally STREAK under the car. This is not uncommon around here. Lots of folks let their cats out, they shouldn't, but they do. I largely ignore it and keep doing my work.

Then the cat creeps out the other side of the car, looks like the poor thing is petrified... wait a tic, is that my cat?

It was my cat. My fat, orange, dumb as a brick whiskey biscuit. I was on the fence though, might just be a similar looking one. Then he opened his gob and squeaked at me, cause he doesn't meow. SHIT! That is definitely my cat.

So now I'm trying to just act calm, become small and let him get close enough so I can grab him. It took a few minutes but he did, and when I grabbed him he didn't fight me. He wanted to come back inside. Alright, so I got a death grip on him and... mistake #1... I close the garage door. I wanted to make sure that if I dropped him he would stay inside. He freaked right the **** out at the noise of it and started fighting to run away. Thankfully (though my wrist and shoulder might argue the point.) I managed to keep my death grip until the door closed, so at least he was stuck in the garage. Plus, now I can open the door to the house and let him inside. So he's literally running the WHOLE LENGTH of the garage, and every time he passes the open house door (in the middle.) he stares right at it but that single orange braincell refuses to signal "hook a turn" and run into the house. So all his running (and screaming? Did I mention he was screaming?) called the attention of the other cat (charlie.) who is now sitting in the doorway watching the whole thing unfold.

Alright, so we finally get him inside the house proper, get a few treats into him to try to help him calm down. And with that done, I get back to work and mow the lawn.

So I'm heading back inside to my computer, with my nice cup of tea. Whiskey is kinda flopped in the hallway. He doesn't normally do that, but I figure he's trying to make sure he's seen. Doesn't want to get lost again. Whatever.

Hit my computer, whiskey follows me into my room (cause he likes sleeping on my bed.), and he IMMEDIATELY starts caterwauling... wait, he's not making a damn peep. It's charlie that wauling, growling and hissing. She's squatted in the corner like she's ******* terrified... of whiskey.

Whiskey hears all her noise, and wanders back out, but charlie WILL NOT stop growling and hissing, and will absolutely NOT move from the low shelf of the night table. Finally, I just pick her up (she's not fighting, she's just not happy.) comfort her a bit and go and put her on my dad's rocking chair (which is one of her normal day-time sleeping spots.).

Things seem to be quiet at the moment, but... holy ****, and it's only been about 40 ******* minutes.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Glad both cats are ok. Charlie might not have recognized him right away if he suddenly smelled like garage.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I missed something somewhere - how long was Whiskey gone?
Somewhere between 5 and 30 minutes. Like, literally. We weren't even aware he had gotten out of the house! We do know how he did it though, and the fault is probably on us for 1.) not fixing it, 2.) assuming his single orange braincell had forgotten that the "easy to push out screen" was a thing.
Glad both cats are ok. Charlie might not have recognized him right away if he suddenly smelled like garage.
Charlie is still acting all anxious, but... she's eating when given food, she's moving around the house on her own, and she is NOT hiding. So It's not a horrible outcome, but still suboptimal when compared against a completely normal day.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright so.. charlie was still growling and hissing at whiskey last night, even early this morning. Like I was up trying to comfort her at quarter after 4... BUT! She's not doing that anymore. She's calmed down quite a bit, isn't intently watching people inside her range, she's not checking the hall like she's about to sprint across a four lane highway, she's purring when I pet her, and she's been seen both eating and drinking on her own (as in; we did not bring food to her, or her to food).

So everyone (including peoples.) just had a bad day yesterday, and we're largely over it today.

We're going to get some rescue remedy today, just in case something like this happens again. Charlie is 14 and being that wound up for that long cannot be healthy.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The dimwits in question!
IMG_20230622_153527_652.jpg

The orange coward: Whiskey!
IMG_20230622_153658_894.jpg

The house matriarch with a 24 hour crisis timer; Charlie!

Edit: to compound the point that everyone is acting like absolutely nothing happened: These photos are taken 3 feet apart.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A stray cat is asking if she can live with me.

I'm not a cat person. What should I do about this?

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen

Don't you have peacocks that live in your front yard, too?

This is a real question, not a joke - would that be a problem, or would they leave each other alone?

wonko the sane?

Citizen

You could take it in short term, and cart it to a vet to see if it was tagged. If it was, then the vet takes it from there and contacts the owners. If it's not, you can then release it to the vet, or take it to the humane society.

You don't need to keep it, you have lots of options.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Don't you have peacocks that live in your front yard, too?

This is a real question, not a joke - would that be a problem, or would they leave each other alone?

They mostly leave each other alone. Cats are ferocious but peacocks are big enough to make them back down.

Sounds like you are a Snow white grade animal magnet.

It actually runs in my family. Animal magnetism is absolutely a real thing some of us have whether we want it or not.

You could take it in short term, and cart it to a vet to see if it was tagged. If it was, then the vet takes it from there and contacts the owners. If it's not, you can then release it to the vet, or take it to the humane society.

You don't need to keep it, you have lots of options.

I don't know how old she is but there is definitely no owner. There were some neighbors years ago who had way too many cats and deliberately released them all when they moved away. This cat is either one of them or at this point quite possibly a descendant. She is very feral and skittish, but she started warming up to me out of nowhere.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
The ASPCA will still deal with a feral, even if all they do is neuter it and release it to a cat colony. If it's warming up to you, it's either found a mark it think it can exploit, or it's starting to be older and in pain and wants out of the life.

Top Bottom