Why was there a lack of fanfare for the 20th anniversary of a Beast Wars and could have this have caused Primal to win the prime fan vote?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly? I think anyone who voted for Ultra Magnus wasted their vote. There is a short list of characters who will 'always' have a figure in the works. ('Always' being a bit hyperbole, but not far off the mark) If there is an opportunity for a fan vote for a figure, voting for an upper tier character is almost like telling Hasbro to release stuff they would release anyway, thus wasting the vote.

In the case of Ultra Magnus, there was the CW figure, Siege, Kingdom, and supposedly a Studio Series in the works. And, while it's less common these days, Magnus still occasionally can be a white redeco of Optimus Prime, figures of which are always a dead certainty. The only way I would vote for Ultra Magnus in a fan vote is if it was Specifically Identified as either Robots In Disguise 01 Magnus or Animated Magnus. Otherwise, I might as well vote for a new Bumblebee figure.

To be fair, this was before Siege. Ultra Magnus fans didn't know how good things were going to get.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Well, yes, of the figures i mentioned, only the CW Magnus existed at the time of the fan vote. But the point was, we got 2 (maybe 3) Magnuses since then (plus the CW one that did exist). And that's not counting all the white Prime redecos that preceeded it (FoC and Classics come to mind as major ones, then there was the Titanium that was its own mold!) Ultra Magnus is a high enough tier character that Hasbro is likely to make one even if it doesn't win a fan vote.

The fan vote can be powerful. The PotP vote seems to have helped clue Hasbro in to the importance and popularity of Beast Wars (Which seems to be what the opening post was asking). So, what I was getting at was, why use that power to support a figure of a character that Hasbro is likely to make eventually, anyway?

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
You picked Primal to send a message. I picked Hound because I like Hound. We are not the same.
I picked Hound too....a favorite character of mine, but also the most interesting choice for a Prime from that list. Most of the others were ones people would expect as a Prime or leader. Hound Prime would have been magnificent.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To be fair, this was before Siege. Ultra Magnus fans didn't know how good things were going to get.
Still, the vote was just a couple years (YMMV) from the release of Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus (which was pretty good), a year after Takara’s version (which was also pretty good), and Ultra Magnus was heavily featured in Transformers Prime, and got a number of good toys there.
I’ll stand with Haywire, in that voting for the likes of Ultra Magnus, Megatron or Shockwave was a wasted vote. In general, especially with the complete disregard for Beast Wars’ 20th Anniversary, there felt like a building “push back” against G1 remakes.

Beast Wars ALWAYS scored high on fan polls. And I think the seeming disregard for that “era” came to a head during the 2017 fan vote. I firmly believe the design team at Hasbro was expecting Star Saber or Thunderwing to be the ultimate winner. I recall there being some push towards Japanese characters at the time with the releases of Liokaiser, Overlord, and Sixshot.
And I think that DOES show in the final product. I think the “idea” of Optimus Primal being able to “evolve” into Optimal Optimus was not, innately, poor. But the final execution, was. I mean, MY idea was a monkey Primal (maybe even influenced by Beast Machines) using the Optimal armor as a vehicle that could convert into armor (thus, becoming more “Prime-like” in looks). Like the OTHER PotP leaders.
But nope. He turned into a slab.

I think the repeated high placing of Beast Wars characters here (and subsequently lackluster result) and in the Hall of Fame polls DID influence the decision to make Beast Wars such an integral part of Kingdom.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And even when the CW Ultra Magnus came out, there was still a sizable number of naysayers complaining about the IDW-based execution of the figure, upset that it wasn't a more Geewun-based Ultra Magnus with a white Optimus wearing armor, saying things like "Why does he have a tiny bearded dude inside him? That's stupid!" and "Ultra Magnus is supposed to be a Transformer, not a Gundam!"

So there were still cries for a "proper" Ultra Magnus at the time.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I'd disagree that those were wasted votes. We we were voting for a story and something unique, not just who gets the next toy. Shockwave or Megatron as a Prime would have been wild. It wasn't until recently that we got an Autobot Megatron toy.

Also, at the time we had no idea that IDW was just going to ignore PotP, unlike Combiner Wars and Titans Return. I really thought we were deciding who was going to become the new Prime there as well.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Could we have have voted more on the same device using those as well as any other method ?
Maybe something like web browser's that you can make proxy address ?

Someone said on Transformers 2005 that they were able to vote more than once with Incognito mode.
Someone else may have said that they did it with google chrome and/ or different wen browsers.

Would you all please tell me if you think the Hasbro fan vote could have been tricked like this ?

It may make me think if I had done that I could have got a character that I preferred and it can bother me that I did not and really has in the past.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe this is a less-than-generous read, but I don't think "I'm upset that I potentially could have cheated to get my way, but didn't get to" is the sympathetic take you think it is.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I remember voting more for interest in the ramifications in fiction, rather than who would get a new toy.

Nevermore

Citizen
Okay, so what does it matter now?

Like, do you have a time machine? Can you alter history?

If not, this is just idle speculation about increasingly moot "what if" scenarios.

What if Hasbro had never gotten the license for Diaclone and Micro Change from Takara?

What if Simon Furman had never gotten a job at Marvel UK?

What if Hasbro hadn't purchased Knickerbocker Toys, and Marvel had published the Mysterians comic?

What if Soundwave2.0 had never signed up to the Allspark forums?

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
fam, it was a vote to determine what character would get a new toy

it literally doesn't matter at all if some people figured out they could vote more than once and did so

what do you want to do, have them rerun the vote from 6 years ago or some shit? have hasbro figure out who may have done this and arrest them for voter fraud?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
At this point, I feel it really should be said.

This is not Reddit. One does not have to keep making new threads over and over again every time one has a new question to ask people if said questions are still related to the subject of another thread that's already been made beforehand.

Thread topic titles do not have to be annoyingly long questions. Save those for the actual posts, while making the titles themselves something more general and far shorter.

Last edited:

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
At this point, I feel it really should be said.

This is not Reddit. One does not have to keep making new threads over and over again every time one has a new question to ask people if said questions are still related to the subject of another thread that's already been made beforehand.

Thread topic titles do not have to be annoyingly long questions. Save those for the actual posts, while making the titles themselves something more general and far shorter.
Would someone please say if it is likely or not that Hasbro could tricked and was or not prepared properly for this ?

Top Bottom