Who's trying to break the internet today?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Imgur was bought out by a holding company a couple years ago and the founder left shortly afterwards, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Ungnome

Citizen
Killing encryption ALONE would kill the the internet. You suspect illegal activity, go to a judge and get a warrant. That's the way it works if you suspect someone is hiding illicit goods in their garage, that's the way it should work online. Frankly, the Black Hats are probably drooling at this proposal. It would make things so much easier for them.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
This is going to **** over your economy hard; partially because no company EVER would keep their deepest, darkest secrets without encryption, and no sane COUNTRY would want to do business with the US or its government without some promise of protecting their data.

Ungnome

Citizen
I get WHY they are doing it. The bean counters are probably looking at the storage costs and saying "Hey, lets cut some expenses by purging inactive data." Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
On the bright side, the last update I saw on that is they are leaving accounts with youtube videos alone. I personally take that with an unspoken "For now" though.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Is Google just no longer run by people who know what they're doing? Someone decided it was a good idea to have a new internet domain that's the same as a commonly downloaded file type.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oh, he elon couldn't afford google before twitter, he definetly can't afford it now.

No, it's just the google guys trying to emulate musk, because apparently the more zeros in your bank account, the stronger the urge to be complete narcissistic sociopath.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
It's how they got most of those zeroes in the first place, after all. Or how their families got them, in Musk's case.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
If e2e encrypt goes, the internet goes. It will become useless for any purpose involving finance or personal data.

Ungnome

Citizen
Of course it won't even stop E2E encryption. The companies will just move their servers offshore to countries who have saner privacy laws. It will only hurt US citizens and companies.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
And economy: as people will move not only their infrastructure, but take necessary steps to insure their data doesn't pass through an american run server at all. Much in the same way people are already doing for china.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The UK's getting in on it too:

nCqDTLs.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66256081

Top Bottom