Along with trying to stop schools from giving all their students free meals, the proposed 2024 Republican budget includes efforts to:
- cut Social Security and Medicare
- make Trump’s tax cuts for the top 1 percent permanent
- impose work requirements on “all federal benefit programs,” like food stamps and Medicare
- extend work requirements on those aged 55–64
- bring back all of twice-impeached and twice-arrested former President Donald Trump’s deregulations, including the weakening of environmental protection.
What do feminists, minority rights activists, gay rights activists, environmental activists, civil rights activists, and worker rights activists all have in common?
At one time, not too long ago in our history, it took SERIOUS courage to belong to any one of those groups. And no, we're not talking about chickenshit problems like being "cancelled" or "de-platformed". We're talking about being beaten, arrested, or even killed.
In contrast, it never took the slightest bit of courage to stand against any of these groups. If anything, one would typically be rewarded. Even now, the people who say they're being "cancelled" are literally making money by claiming to be cancelled.
When your conservative friends try to act like they're so principled for siding with centuries of established social hierarchy, maybe you should remind them that in every era, the cowards have always done what they're doing now.