What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hilarious but outdated. We now need 9 No'ing Drakes. McCarthy has failed again.

If I were a House Democrat I would be bringing popcorn at this point.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
When will they change the rules anyway? How long will they let this go on before someone changes something to break the insanity?

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's now ten time loser for McCarthy. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Would you rather the tone set be a willfully united and defiant republicans who IMMEDIATELY throw into pointless and wasteful investigations for complete and utter non-crimes and non-offences.

Cause I'm sure hunter bidens laptop, nancy pelosi and dr. fauci are really appreciating the reprieve here.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So what are they even doing? Are they just immediately holding the vote over and over again with nothing changed? Because that's... that's not how run-offs work.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
9 TIMES! HE'S LOST 9 TIMES! HE HAS BROKEN THE 100 YEAR RECORD!
giphy.gif

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
No such thing as a run-off according to their rules. You have to get a simple majority of the vote, and people can vote for whomever they want - see the Trump vote in there. I saw someone posit that it's actually a test to see if the group that supposedly has the majority actually has the majority and so far the answer is no.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Which is my supposition: eventually someone in the two WORKING theaters of government is going to push through a policy change and force the senate speaker position into a more straight forward vote where-in the highest number wins.

Even with such a change, I suspect mcarthy would win, since it would end the bottleneck and republicans aren't about to give anything to democrats. On the other hand: those maga chuds are REALLY ******* stupid. Like, epically stupid.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I don't think the President has that kind of authority; Congressional procedure is governed first by the Constitution, and then by rules enacted by Congress themselves. Even the Supreme Court could only weigh in if it's in question whether those rules are constitutional or not.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There's an old saying about the definition of insanity, but I never thought I'd see such a clear-cut case of it with my own eyes.

Yeah, that's what blows my mind here. This is one of the least significant things the Republicans could possibly find to split over right now. Like if there were a bid to get one of the crazies like Marjorie Taylor-Greene into the Speaker seat? Sure, I could see that causing a huge split. Or if one of the two candidates had supported that gay-marriage bill that a whopping 47 Republicans voted in favor of? Absolutely. But no, it's just a choice between the boring old dude and some guy I've never heard of.

The even wilder thing is—this Donalds person who's getting all the dissenting votes? He's not even the same guy who challenged McCarthy's spot back in November when the Republicans voted among themselves who to back!

Top Bottom