What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
They're up to a (I believe) record setting 4th round of voting now. It'll be hilarious if 6 moderate Repubs get fed up and vote Dem to just end this. I doubt it'll happen but it'd be the ultimate troll move.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Hating Congress is something people of all political affiliations seem to be united in, but to their credit, they clearly have procedural rules in place to prevent anyone from splitting the vote, which is more than I can say for our own elections.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Welp, they gave up and adjourned until tomorrow after the 4th vote failed the same way.

MrBlud

Citizen
They hate government and want one party rule under their own Dictator.

Being so comically inept they can’t even elect their own speaker certainly plays into that.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Update: McCarthy still doesn't have the votes and is banking on Democrats helping him adjourn for the day and try it all again tomorrow. Spoiler alert: they probably won't help him and we're on our way to Ballot 04.

I'm just loving all this chaos. While the Senate has their shit in order.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
So....can the Senate DO anything during all this idiocy, or have they basically paralyzed the government through childishness? Because this would seem like a great time to get some work done before the GOP picks their next dancing monkey.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not much. They can pass all the legislation they want and send it to the House but there's nobody there yet to do anything about it. Not that they will once there's eventually a GOP Speaker of the House.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
4th vote failed. He actually lost a vote because Victoria Spartz changed from McCarthy to just present. They're now on the 5th ballot.

This is so much fun.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Funny thing is that Democrats could help the GOP by voting Present and lowering the number needed to be speaker. But I can't imagine the concessions that they'd ask for. Can't see them doing it for McCarthy but maybe a less crazy consensus candidate? Google "least insane GOP congressman" and start from there I guess.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Verse 6, same as the first. Fun little tidbit from the C-SPan transcriptions:

MY COLLEAGUES, WELL IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY, AGAIN --

And whomever is running the show is having a rough time keeping order at this point it looks like. Though a thought - you mentioned voting "Present" reduces the number needed. What if enough GOP folk did that to get Jeffries elected? It would be one way to say "F this, let's get back to work" without being on record as actually supporting the Ds and killing their careers. Probably wishful thinking though.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In my dreams the entire House Caucus does exactly that to elect Jeffries as the ultimate f you to McCarthy. Doubt it but it would be golden.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The irony is: the dems need like 6 votes. Is it really that hard to find SIX not insane republicans and bribe them?

Ironbite4

Citizen
The modern, as in last 100 years, record for number of ballots needed to elect a speaker is 9. Will we hit 10 this time around? Also, number of days without a speaker? 19.

Ironbite-CAN THEY DO IT!?

Top Bottom