Transformers Legacy toyline

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
Animated Prowl looks... okay. There was no way I would be totally satisfied by what they did. I don't get why they all have to have G1 noses. I think his head is too broad and his body too chunky rather than lithe. I think it's because they worked in too much G1 Prowl. Look at the cheek guards. Animated Prowl didn't have those. But this is better than any of the Prime characters have received so far. On the flip side, I like the way they managed to work in his big chin. That shows respect to Animated's style. I don't get the guns, but they might be there for whatever the retool will be. I'm not onboard with much of the G1 conversions of non G1 characters stuff. But in its own right it's still an interesting and good looking figure.

Another motorcycle with the Junkion? A lot of motorcycles here. Looks cools. I hope they haven't forgotten about Scrapheap, though. Maybe for Selects.

I hope Armada Sideways is coming up sometime. But I also hope he isn't compromised by being retooled from someone too different. Like one of these guys, for example. A lot of motorcycles lately. Not that having a lot of cars, jets, and tanks ever stops them from making more.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
SOD leader class, Comander class, he needs to tower over most bots
Commander class would allow him to be tall AND chunky and is the best solution. I doubt they'd let him have the slot, though... But then again, how many characters COULD occupy Commander Class and still allow them to release a new one every year?

Shadewing

Citizen
The Junkion seems to be based on the thrilling 30 design, with the seat being one leg, and the fuel tank being the other.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
As one who still has the original Animated Prowl, the Animated Samurai Prowl, and the Japanese-exclusive G1-colored Animated Elite Guard Prowl, I ask myself what this new G1-ified Animated Prowl offers me that those original toys don't?
For you? Probably not much aside from gelling with other recent Generations toys.
BUT, for someone who wasn’t able to get an Animated Prowl FIFTEEN YEARS AGO…it might be a more cost effective solution than trying to hunt down one on the secondary market.
I think it bears repeating that, if you have a remake or character from 2005 to about 2015? A new Generations version is very likely to NOT be a definitive update. At best, we’re seeing “sidegrades”, new iterations that choose a different design focus than prior attempts at a design or character. It’s not about finding something better, it’s about what this iteration does differently and if that works for you or not.

The Junkion looks fine. I’m not sure I’m going to be buying much into the subset, but I appreciate the design work work on another Junkion Bike that doesn’t share design notes with WreckGar. And I’m sure the more talented people will be making some wonderfully weird mixes with this and Scrapheap.

Prowl looks surprisingly good to me. If you had asked me what an Animated Prowl would look like in the current Generations brand, I’m not sure he would have ended up as nice as this turned out. He’s chonkier , but they still managed to keep all his core design elements. His chin is more pronounced, he has his ninja stars, and I think the thicker look actually helps with the CHiPs inspiration come through a little better. I’m actually quite surprised they gave him the “neutral hands”, a design quirk that kind of disappeared after 2013 or so, when Generations got a bit more standardized.
Not sure I see where the guns are some are talking about. I see the handlebars, but they don’t appear removable. If anything, it looks like they are supposed to be swung up farther to create a clean line on his “back wings”

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I think it bears repeating that, if you have a remake or character from 2005 to about 2015? A new Generations version is very likely to NOT be a definitive update. At best, we’re seeing “sidegrades”, new iterations that choose a different design focus than prior attempts at a design or character. It’s not about finding something better, it’s about what this iteration does differently and if that works for you or not.

I think this does describe the current mindset behind Legacy, and with that in mind, it makes me wonder why we haven't really seen any Movieverse characters in Legacy. (Assuming they are available outside of Studio series; obviously licensing rules might place a lot of restrictions on this.) Beyond Animated and Prime, the movieverse Transformers are probably the next farthest departure from the Generations/Legacy style.

Virtually all of the core cast from the first film would be departures from their usual decos and, sometimes, altmodes; and then there are the new characters. Barricade has seen some use as a redeco, but it would be cool to see a dedicated reimagining of the bad cop in a Legacy style. Likewise, while I hate the characterization of Skids and Mudflap in RotF, I would love to see a Legacy take on their original Ice Cream truck combined form.

There's a lot of unique ideas in the movieverse, but much like Animated, they don't often visually gel with most of the rest of my collection. It would be cool to have "movie" characters that did.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I absolutely love Animated Prowl, I have every toy of him that I could get my hands on.
This looks great to me. I will be getting multiples so I can have one at work too. He looks just fantastic to me.

NovaSaber

Citizen
At the very least, he's another case of a once round and curvy character made blocky. It seems only BW, G1, and UT characters are allowed to keep their curves if they originally had any. No curviness allowed for any Prime or Animated characters, apparently.
Even G1 characters aren't safe from being made blockier than their originals; look at Skullgrin.

I’m not wild about the head but it’s super strange to see people acting like this is an abomination on par with Prime Bulkhead when I’m struggling to see how they could possibly thread the needle between “blocky G1” and “lithe Animated” any better.
It's obviously better than Bulkhead by a wide margin (except for the head), but that doesn't mean it doesn't have some of the same issues.

And the balance you correctly say they seem to be going for is one of them; "lithe" is not a style-wide thing for Animated.
So once again I am saying that even within the premise of "unified aesthetic" being a goal, there is no reason why being "Generations aesthetic" has to mean standardizing body proportions.
In fact, the Modulators and Fossilizers basically prove that "Generations aesthetic" never meant "everyone has similar proportions" until Legacy started.

I think this does describe the current mindset behind Legacy, and with that in mind, it makes me wonder why we haven't really seen any Movieverse characters in Legacy. (Assuming they are available outside of Studio series; obviously licensing rules might place a lot of restrictions on this.) Beyond Animated and Prime, the movieverse Transformers are probably the next farthest departure from the Generations/Legacy style.
I'd say the movieverse (the first three movies in particular) is the farthest departure...or maybe tied with Beast Machines.

But I'm more interested in the opposite. If the rumors of the WfC (game) designs getting into Studio Series are true, it's no longer limited to movies, so I just want Studio Series versions of anything that Legacy seems unwilling to make accurately.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
As one who still has the original Animated Prowl, the Animated Samurai Prowl, and the Japanese-exclusive G1-colored Animated Elite Guard Prowl, I ask myself what this new G1-ified Animated Prowl offers me that those original toys don't?
From the looks of his feet, not falling on his face thanks to the ball joints in his toes wearing out.

I like the engineering of it, but I'm hopeful he ends up repainted/retooled as someone else, like Sideways.

Top Bottom