Transformers Legacy toyline

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Must be new toy week, saw the newest wave of Deluxes at Target today, along with Studio Series Voyager Rhinox and Gamer Megatron.

Like a dweeb, I got the Beast Combiners Optimus Prime instead of the new Legacy stuff.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I used to really look forward to both Toyhax sticker sets and DNA upgrade kits, but these days, both of their sets for most TFs seem to be bloated, irrelevant and overpriced. I think they both need to have a long look at themselves and start releasing smaller sets more in-tune with "essential" features fans want.

In fact, I think both companies should sell such sets together. I would love it if I could buy the types of "PayPal only" kits sold at TFSafari, plus a few stickers to give extra details for around 20-40 dollars (depending on the amount of wanted items in the set).

What I don't want toys are mummified in stickers, complete with leg-fillers, massive, unwieldy weapons the original toy/character never had, a hardly noticeable increase in height, screw hole covers and extra characters that are being sold by Hasbro anyway. Just give me the bloody weapons and features and paint/sticker details the original toy had and be five with it.
You... you don't need to use every sticker ToyHax includes in a set. In fact a lot of that "bloat" are redundant options to give the customer agency.

I get that this may chafe you, buying stickers you don't need, but I'm always going to be a fan of giving customers options.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
You... you don't need to use every sticker ToyHax includes in a set. In fact a lot of that "bloat" are redundant options to give the customer agency.

I get that this may chafe you, buying stickers you don't need, but I'm always going to be a fan of giving customers options.

I prefer my customer agency to provide for things like not having to spend money on stuff I'm not going to use and not, you know, after the fact justification for selling bloated sticker sets. "You don't have to use all of them" isn't really a solution when it's not USING them I have a problem with, it's having to buy them!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen

I'd like for one of those "options" to be "the ability to pay less and get what I actually want" rather than "pay more to get a bunch of stuff I never wanted."

Shadewing

Citizen
I prefer my customer agency to provide for things like not having to spend money on stuff I'm not going to use and not, you know, after the fact justification for selling bloated sticker sets. "You don't have to use all of them" isn't really a solution when it's not USING them I have a problem with, it's having to buy them!

I mean you don't /have/ to buy them; you don't /have/ to buy anything. Them existing doesn't mean you must get them, same with upgrade kits.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'd like for one of those "options" to be "the ability to pay less and get what I actually want" rather than "pay more to get a bunch of stuff I never wanted."
It reminds me of when DNA sold their Scorponok kits in three separate kits, so I was able to buy the two that I wanted. However, even they combine them all together in an overpriced kit for Black Zarak, I didn't bother with it. I could be wrong but the "main" two Scorp sets sold out quickly but Black Zarak kits weren't sold out for ages (or even up to now)?

Post-BayTransformersFan

Citizen
This may not fit here but does anybody else think it's weird that ER Prime is one of the only Optimus figures to not get a Nemesis/Scourge redeco? I was hoping for a Gen Selects release but now I'm not too confident

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen

Echoing Shadewing... you're not required to buy anything. If the prices and options aren't to your liking you can choose not to buy.
But for those who are ok with their prices they get a plethora of options.

That's not even the main point though. PrimalxConvoy complained about figures "mummified in stickers" which is absurd to me.
Either buy the set and only use the ones you want or don't buy the set, I really don't care. But no one is forcing him or anyone else to use the full set of stickers on any set.

Shadewing

Citizen
Echoing Shadewing... you're not required to buy anything. If the prices and options aren't to your liking you can choose not to buy.
But for those who are ok with their prices they get a plethora of options.

That's not even the main point though. PrimalxConvoy complained about figures "mummified in stickers" which is absurd to me.
Either buy the set and only use the ones you want or don't buy the set, I really don't care. But no one is forcing him or anyone else to use the full set of stickers on any set.

This is, I kinda agree with them. I can get no loiking sets, I can agree some do feel bloated, and no I'm not including sets with large amounts of spare options; sometimes meant for army builder characters. There are sets where it feels like they are trying to cover ever flat space possible. One that comes to mind is Selects Jackpot where all the stickers just look guady to me and they do cover everything it feels. Then there are sets with the stickers feel right an natural, like the recent Toxiton Cloud Clover; and in rare cases you get sets that honestly improve figures to such a degree I would almost say they are required. Stuff like SS Scavenger or Legacy Knock-out where the improvement is so drastic it feels like what the figure should have looked like in the first place.

But that doesn't change the fact that, these are all still incredibly optional and no one is forcing you to buy them if you don't like them.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
This is a Transformers board; we talk non-stop, all day every day, about stuff we don't HAVE to buy. It's the entire point of this place. Not a single person here NEEDS to buy a Transformer. Yet nobody is suggesting we curtail complaints about Transformers based on that fact, so I'm genuinely not sure why you think it's a valid argument against people who aren't fans of how Toyhax chooses to bundle their offerings.

Like, it's a smorgasbord (smorgasbullitinboard? :)) of people complaining about Hasbro's increasing prices, hollow plastic, waffling, large backpacks, lack of paint or any of the zillion other comments people have about the toys we consume.

It's not like I hate Toyhax or something; I like the work they do and would likely buy a lot more of their product if it wasn't so expensive. But it is, so that's a very real barrier for me. Like the stickers for Velocitron Scourge are $35 normally; well over half of the cost of the base figure. Even on sale it's $24 dollars.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
This is, I kinda agree with them.
Meh.
Unofficial stickers are, to me, the epitome of a luxury item in a hobby that is all about luxury items.

This isn't even a case of "don't be entitled" because the problem here seems to be that they're trying to please everyone and some people don't want to shoulder that cost.

But again- you don't need to buy them and you don't need to apply everything in a single set.

This is a Transformers board; we talk non-stop, all day every day, about stuff we don't HAVE to buy.
Here's my honest take on it.

I'm happy to pay for options and I'm happy to pay for sets where maybe I don't need everything applied.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
As far as Toyhax goes, i absolutely adore them. I'm just dissapointed they don't sell actual repros for original Laser Prime, but instead offer this weird replacement that doesn't say OPTIMUS PRIME across his chest. That's like one of his best features, what gives guys?
Perhaps the name is copyrighted?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Takara has released a relatively small grainy picture of United Silverbolt. Looks good.

Botcon Windrazor is almost a definite. That's gonna happen, so any other repaint might be a stretch but I can't help but imagine...

Purple Universe Silverbolt is probably the outside weird option.

In my dreams I'd like a Raven/Fox(or red wolf) repaint as a new character but that's probably pretty unlikely...

-ZacWilliam, I do wonder if we could get him remolded into anyone else with a Wolf mode: Wolffang, Thunderhowl, Beast Machines Quickstrike, Maybe even Carnivac or RiD Steeljaw

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Takara has released a relatively small grainy picture of Unite Silverbolt. Looks good.
T_001.png

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I rarely get Toyhax sets anymore because of unacceptably low percentages of stickers I'll actually use, but I think they probably think that the people who get mad at Hasbro for not exactly recreating every tiny mark that existed in the G1 cartoon for exactly one frame because a stray eraser crumb accidentally found its way onto the animation cel are probably more reliable customers than the people who just think it would be cool to see taillights get painted more often. Same with the add-on makers doing gap fillers and screw covers and such--the people who want gap fillers are going to want gap fillers basically every time, while it's more of a gamble whether anyone really cares whether Velocitron Road Rocket's blade is similar enough to G2 Road Rocket's.

At this point I would be surprised if the kit includes the parts we do want. DNA has gotten weird.
Lines from shortly before the mutants escape containment

Top Bottom