Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
If Trump does go to jail before the election, I'll be interested to see if any of the candidates promise to issue a pardon for him when they get elected in an attempt to get Trump's supporters to vote for them.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Also his lawyers quit:
The attorneys, Jim Trusty and John Rowley, did not explain in detail why they had resigned, other than to say in a joint statement that “this is a logical moment” to do so given his indictment Thursday in U.S. District Court in Miami.
I would have GTFO long before this point, but maybe that's just me.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
If Trump does go to jail before the election, I'll be interested to see if any of the candidates promise to issue a pardon for him when they get elected in an attempt to get Trump's supporters to vote for them.
Each and every one of them will: because they want the cult on their side and currying favour with dear leader is how you do it. They will also, to a man; threaten the alphabet soup groups, the DOJ, and then scream about how the election was stolen when they lose.

Until both trump AND the nazis are excised from the republican party, or until they collapse and burn: this is their playbook now.

Axaday

Citizen
United States v Donald Trump is a bit of a confusing name since we had 4 years of Donald Trump v United States. But I guess there is a format they have to follow.

Axaday

Citizen
Also his lawyers quit:

I would have GTFO long before this point, but maybe that's just me.
It is weird. I mean, I don't blame them. But when your rich client gets indicted for a crime is not a "logical time" to quit in any world I know.

Ironbite4

Citizen
There's a reason why they quit. Bet you anything they're gonna be called as witnesses for the government and client-attorney privilege don't count when your client WANTS YOU to do dirty crimes.

Ironbite-yeah that's a thing.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
More to the point: trumps legal team does not seem to have any defense strategy what so ever. Which is kinda a GREAT time to nope out.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Your client, obviously guilty, insists upon pleading innocent, and has a history of not paying his lawyers. Perfect time to get out.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
At this point, the only people who would represent Trump either know they're not getting paid and don't care because they're part of the cult themselves—and therefore idiots—or they actually still believe he's going to pay them—and therefore idiots.

And I wonder what's supposed to happen in that situation. The system, at least officially, demands that people have decent representation on both sides regardless of how obviously in the wrong they may be. Having an incompetent lawyer is the sort of thing that gets cases thrown out. So what are you supposed to do when getting a competent lawyer to represent the defendant is literally impossible? To say nothing of an impartial jury...

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
They probably realized that as soon as he's called to the stand, he's either gonna incriminate himself in record time, or do nothing but plead the fifth the entire time. Or somehow manage to incriminate himself while pleading the fifth.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
lio dis gun be gud.gif

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
At this point, the only people who would represent Trump either know they're not getting paid and don't care because they're part of the cult themselves—and therefore idiots—or they actually still believe he's going to pay them—and therefore idiots.

And I wonder what's supposed to happen in that situation. The system, at least officially, demands that people have decent representation on both sides regardless of how obviously in the wrong they may be. Having an incompetent lawyer is the sort of thing that gets cases thrown out. So what are you supposed to do when getting a competent lawyer to represent the defendant is literally impossible? To say nothing of an impartial jury...
Let's be real though: Trump is going to claim ANY lawyer he has was "incompetent" if he doesn't get acquitted. He is still entitled to representation, and don't you get a public defender, even at the federal level? Though, that would probably be enough for him to argue he got incompetent representation right there...

In a logical world, I would be shocked if this case made it to trial. There is such a volume of charges with supporting evidence that most sane people would angle for a plea deal of some sort, even if it meant some jail time.
But it is neither a logical world and Trump's sanity is questionable at the best of times, so who the hell knows how this is going to go.

Half expecting the man to keel over before this case is completed...

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Trump will go to trial simply because it will allow him yet another opportunity to pass on TV, even if he legally shouldn't and his lawyers are telling him to keep his fat orange gob shut. That alone is incentive enough for him.

That'll play badly for him, but it also plays into his victimhood complex and narrative. But so long as he can continue to rile up his supporters and keep grifting: that's what he will do. He's completely predictable that way.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
In a logical world, I would be shocked if this case made it to trial. There is such a volume of charges with supporting evidence that most sane people would angle for a plea deal of some sort, even if it meant some jail time.
Does the DOJ have any incentive to accept a plea deal? What could Trump possibly offer that would be worth more to them than having him put away for life and banned from participating in politics? It sounds like the investigation is already going to reveal everyone who's ever aided and abetted his crimes, so it can't be that.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Does the DOJ have any incentive to accept a plea deal? What could Trump possibly offer that would be worth more to them than having him put away for life and banned from participating in politics? It sounds like the investigation is already going to reveal everyone who's ever aided and abetted his crimes, so it can't be that.
To my thinking: the DOJ has every incentive to throw the book at him. Republicans in specific, the rich in general, and trump in particular: have been flaunting the law for decades now. This is an opportunity to really throw the book at someone, ANYONE rich and white and prove that thing they keep saying about "no one is above the law". This is going to basically be the one, the ONLY shot for the 21st century for the justice system to prove that there is not in fact a two tier justice system in the united states.

There needs to be SIGNIFICANT repercussions to trumps actions, to the cultists inside of and outside of government whom are willing to destroy your country to protect him. There has to be, otherwise it's another day in the collapse of the US as a democracy, world power, and relevant figure in global politics.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Who he sold some of the classified documents to.
Does it matter, at this point? It's probably better to just assume every government that's hostile to the US has it and adjust our plans accordingly. Especially since we'd have no way of verifying whatever he tells us and he's a chronic liar.

Axaday

Citizen
Prosecutors don't just do plea deals as leverage. A jury trial is a risky thing and this one will cost a lot of resources. Not just money, but tying up people and work hours that they have just so many of. I'm not saying they would in this case. I don't know. But they often will do a plea deal because it is a sure thing.

Top Bottom