Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I should probably wait to see if Legal Eagle puts out of a video on this, but what exactly is happening here? Trump hasn't been convicted of any criminal acts yet, right? I didn't sleep through that and miss it? Why is it even possible to ask the Supreme Court for a ruling on this already, let alone for them to say they'll do it?

Autobubbs

Citizen
Yeah, that immunity does nothing against this judgement. We'll see if SCOTUS considers presidents as living gods, but he's still gotta pay.

Plus, they'd be collectively shooting themselves in the foot ruling in Trumps favor. If he has immunity, Biden has immunity.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Well that's the great thing about being a Republican. You can abuse your powers all you want and be confident that the opposing party are too nice to abuse theirs back, even if you get the Supreme Court to say it's totally fine.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
I think this is just another delaying tactic. Trump's due to start another criminal trial (the hush money one) in late March, which could end up being delayed pending the result of the Supreme Court's decision.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
If they want to give immunity to trump: they literally have to wait until after the election AND a trump victory (which statistically cannot happen, unless democrats get lazy and complacent.) otherwise they give it to biden first.

And then biden can just have the whole lot of them assassinated, supreme court included, and install people who aren't corrupt fuckwits... or no one at all, as a dictator wouldn't need a supreme court OR an election cycle.

The irony being that Biden doing this, wielding unilateral supreme power and assassinating his opponents would only make americas standing on the world stage go up.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I should probably wait to see if Legal Eagle puts out of a video on this, but what exactly is happening here? Trump hasn't been convicted of any criminal acts yet, right? I didn't sleep through that and miss it? Why is it even possible to ask the Supreme Court for a ruling on this already, let alone for them to say they'll do it?
The Special Counsel petitioned the Supreme Court to take up the issue several weeks ago, before the lower court ruling (because, obviously, this issue would end up before them anyway). The SC passed then, but OBVIOUSLY took it up when Trump threw his hissy fit.
The Constitution, and subsequent legislation, is VERY vague on on many of the liabilities associated with many parts of our government. Because, up until Trump, there was an expectation that most people serving the government weren't crazy, wannabe dictators. Because of that, Trump is claiming he is immune to prosecution for his actions during his presidency.

The Court will now decide if Presidents are immune to anything they do as President.
If they want to give immunity to trump: they literally have to wait until after the election AND a trump victory (which statistically cannot happen, unless democrats get lazy and complacent.) otherwise they give it to biden first.

And then biden can just have the whole lot of them assassinated, supreme court included, and install people who aren't corrupt fuckwits... or no one at all, as a dictator wouldn't need a supreme court OR an election cycle.

The irony being that Biden doing this, wielding unilateral supreme power and assassinating his opponents would only make americas standing on the world stage go up.
Sad part is that Biden COULD fix a LOT of the issues doing so, and without consequence if the court grants full immunity. But he might take that pesky moral "high ground" and we end up with Trump, or some wannabe down the line, doing far worse.

Biden doesn't have the balls to go that extreme. Harris, though....

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Why is it even possible to ask the Supreme Court for a ruling on this already, let alone for them to say they'll do it?
Because the issue at stake ("absolute Presidential immunity") would moot the entire trial, so the decision needs to be rendered before the trial begins, thus the interlocutory appeal.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
These are the issues the country avoided with Nixon, who chose not to push a Constitutional crisis and resigned. Gerald Ford then pardoned Nixon rendering the entire thing moot and the country moved on.
Trump is not one to back down. His entire persona is one of confrontation and bullshit. If he has a chance, and let's be honest he does, then he's going to take it. He's never truly tasted humiliation before. His defeats have all been minor compared to what he faces now and I truly believe he does not grasp the consequences for either himself or the nation. Not that he cares about the nation, but I digress.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I'm increasingly uncertain he's even capable of grasping the idea of consequences. Both because it's never really happened to him before, and because of his obviously increasing mental decline.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Rumor has it Trump is going to announce Tulsi Gabbard as his running mate.
She's just about perfect for Trump world.

Top Bottom