Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Axaday

Citizen
In his speech on Saturday, Trump said that now that the Democrats have set the precedent, then if he wins and someone runs against him, he can tell the Attorney General to find something to indict them for.

Does he know that if he wins, no one will ever run against him again?

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
He's been promising for some time now that if he gets back into office, he intends to use the Justice Department as his personal vengeance weapon against anyone who's slighted him.

Of course, he's either missed or ignored the point that there has to be an actual crime first, but he'll flood the system with as many toadies as he can first, so it won't really matter anymore

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
He's been promising for some time now that if he gets back into office, he intends to use the Justice Department as his personal vengeance weapon against anyone who's slighted him.

Of course, he's either missed or ignored the point that there has to be an actual crime first, but he'll flood the system with as many toadies as he can first, so it won't really matter anymore
That's literally what all the experts are warning us about. If trump, or anyone with a trump inclination gets into office before the republican party dies entirely or reforms entirely: democracy, the rule of law, what little justice is to be found in the US right now: it all DIES. The next republican president will become "el-presidente, ruler for life."

Axaday

Citizen
The point I meant is that if he wins, it'll be his second term. He won't run for a third, so no one runs against him. Unless he decides to run for Governor or Congress, I guess. But I think he'd rather just become a power broker.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The point I meant is that if he wins, it'll be his second term. He won't run for a third, so no one runs against him. Unless he decides to run for Governor or Congress, I guess. But I think he'd rather just become a power broker.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that that particular law wouldn't stop him from running for a third term. I mean, the guy was already trying to over throw democracy once......

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The reaper hasn't taken McConnell yet either, so I'm not really taking death into account here. Prepare for the worst and all that.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There's no scenario where Trump has enough power to unilaterally overturn the 22nd amendment and doesn't just use that power to declare himself dictator for life instead. He's just being an idiot who doesn't think more than negative-two seconds ahead of what he's saying, as usual.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Term limits don't mean anything to these people. The constitution does not mean anything to them. No one will run against him, because whomever replaces him will be a handpicked autocrat whose sole purpose will be to ensure there is never a threat to their rule.

You're running on the assumption that they'll abide by the rules: they won't. They already consider themselves above the law (despite the incredibly slow evidence to the contrary.), and have already come within a hairs breadth of having the unquestioned power they want. Now they're scared, desperate animals because not only is there functionally no path back to that power, but the consequences on their actions is facing them down. If they get the power back to ensure they don't have to compromise on anything: they will never give it up willingly.

We got to watch brutus stab caesar, but the guard actually stopped him before brutus got to 18. This was the very real "Fall of the republic, rise of the empire" moment, and it honestly seems like we're not taking the seriousness of the moment to heart.

Axaday

Citizen

It is near perfect stuff to have Trump saying Biden is "cognitively impaired" right AFTER saying he beat Obama in an election and right BEFORE saying Biden may lead us into WW2.

--==--

But isn't it kind of a whiff? If Biden knew how to lead us into WW2, I think an awful lot of Trump's supporters would like to go.

Axaday

Citizen
I don't think they'd fight the war. I think they just want to finish their days in the 40s and 50s.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I don't think they'd fight the war. I think they just want to finish their days in the 40s and 50s.
Hmm, I've often thought of the idea of time travel as a tourist industry, but a retirement community sounds like a solid business idea too.

Top Bottom