Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

electricidad

Citizen
RTD is encouraging viewers to see this live. We all presume that the Doctor regenerates in this one…so is there some other component of this episode that’s super spoilery?

Guess I’ll find out in a few hours!

AgentOrange

Citizen
RTD is encouraging viewers to see this live. We all presume that the Doctor regenerates in this one…so is there some other component of this episode that’s super spoilery?

Guess I’ll find out in a few hours!

Retreading old have your cake and eat it asspulls with slight variation might be

electricidad

Citizen
That was great!

New big bad teased for a later season (the one who waits) plus a certain gold tooth are going to figure into the Doctor’s future.

Damn. This worked perfectly. Just…damn!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’d say rumors of a spinoff series is very viable here. That was definitely not how people were expecting things to play out though I’m sure.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Oh wow. Well certainly wasn't what I was expecting. In the end 10 got what he always wanted, he didn't have to go. Now we got two Tardis's in play (well technically 3 as it sounds like Clara is still out there putting off her death) and two doctors. Which means we might see a spin off or we might see 10 and Donna or Rose pop in during the future. Honestly seeing as it sounds like 10 isn't 100% taking it easy we could hypothetically have a series where we don't know what Doctor the next episode will be following. Also we get the master back, again, and some mysterious person with red fingernails is going to be involved. Honestly if 10 can come back then I vote for Missy to come back, we didn't get enough of her after all.

One completely unrealistic thing about this episode however. Absolutely nobody told him to put on some trousers.

Echowarrior

Citizen
One completely unrealistic thing about this episode however. Absolutely nobody told him to put on some trousers.

I can let that slide. Most of those present were women, after all, and Ncuti Gatwa ain't unattractive.

Anyway, I enjoyed the special very much. Loved the teases of what was to come.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I honestly have mixed feelings about the whole bi-generation now there's two Doctors thing tbh. Like I get that moving forward the main Doctor is going to be Gatwa's Doctor (and anyone who succeeds him) but IDK also having another Doctor played by one of the most popular actors to have played the role just kind of feels too much like refusing to move on from the past to me?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
But honestly this felt like a back door pilot for a few things.

One, obviously the continued Adventures of Fourteen and the Nobles. No way Donna is going to be able to keep Rose from going out occasionally with her favorite Uncle. And it’s not like Tennant hasn’t played an older uncle putting children in danger in recent years….

Two, UNIT’s set up felt like a more permanent set than most times we’ve seen their HQ’s. Definitely seeing some of the Disney cash in the production there and the new robotic alien assistant feels a bit like a more interactive wall computer than Mr Smith was in the Sarah Jane Adventures.

The question would be if they are separate or the same project. Obviously Donna gets the job offer from Kate tying the two plots together, or it could be a convenient way to keep them interacting with each other occasionally.

Echowarrior

Citizen
But honestly this felt like a back door pilot for a few things.

One, obviously the continued Adventures of Fourteen and the Nobles. No way Donna is going to be able to keep Rose from going out occasionally with her favorite Uncle. And it’s not like Tennant hasn’t played an older uncle putting children in danger in recent years….

Two, UNIT’s set up felt like a more permanent set than most times we’ve seen their HQ’s. Definitely seeing some of the Disney cash in the production there and the new robotic alien assistant feels a bit like a more interactive wall computer than Mr Smith was in the Sarah Jane Adventures.

The question would be if they are separate or the same project. Obviously Donna gets the job offer from Kate tying the two plots together, or it could be a convenient way to keep them interacting with each other occasionally.

Well, Mel might be back next season, so it could go either way.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I honestly have mixed feelings about the whole bi-generation now there's two Doctors thing tbh. Like I get that moving forward the main Doctor is going to be Gatwa's Doctor (and anyone who succeeds him) but IDK also having another Doctor played by one of the most popular actors to have played the role just kind of feels too much like refusing to move on from the past to me?
Like an earlier post mentioned, this actually isn't the first time this has happened, kind of. Remember way back when the Doctor had his hand cut off and poured his regeneration energy into it and it sprouted another Doctor for that Rose? Also if you want to keep the Timeless Child idea *ducks all the tomatoes* this could be how said species reproduces.

Last thought on the idea though, I do like the idea that the Valeyard and the Curator both could be previous splits. And if we want to keep the idea that there were Doctors before Doctor #1 like the Fugitive Doctor, the Valeyard could have split from one of those, and be the cause of the "myth" of bi-generation in the first place. On the other hand, the Valeyard was supposedly at the end of his regenerations, so maybe splitting means the "infinite" regens only follows one branch, and the other has the usual limited regens?

I did like that they called back to some of the major previous events, like the Key to Time, and especially Logopolis considering someone just brought it up a page or two back in comparison to the Flux.

There was one other "blink and you'll miss it" comment that because they're time Lords, they're doing rehab out of order, which while on the one hand seems to be a way to let the new incarnation run around without having to angst about the Flux, but on the other hand makes me wonder if bigeneration eventually reverts....

Okay I know I said I was done with talking about the bi-generation but that jsut struck a thought in me. The fourth Doctor had a forced regeneration by merging with "the Watcher" because he otherwise wouldn't have made it. At the time, they said the Watcher was the Doctor all along, then later when they reappeared for the 5th -> 6th regeneration, they said they were unregenerated projections of the next incarnation. Could the Watchers instead be previous bi-generation splits, that they attributed to projections because it was just thought to be a myth by that point? And that was how the 4th-> 5th one worked, by the bigeneration re-merging to help make the transition?

DarkeklawGW

Immortal Maximal OC
Citizen
The Bi-Generation thing felt like a call back to how 1-7 all had totally different regenerations instead of a generic Glow up energy release morph to new body thing. Also if a future incarnation (5) can step INTO the Doctor's Body, why can't the Next (15) be pulled out.

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay on one hand, that is exactly what I've been wanting from this trilogy. Toymaker is a wonderful villian and kinda sad he'll very likely be a one off. NPH clearly had a blast here. Only disapointed he didn't get an actual song, though the musical Spice Girls bit was great.

On the other.
I am very much torn on this whole Bigeneration thing. My big issue was always bringing 10 back, and now he's still here. It feels like a back-up plan. Oh, rating are tanking again? Roll out Tennant. Don't need to explain it now, he's just there! They never really even got into why he regenerated back to this face. And yeah, he gets a happy ending; hell a second happy ending if we include the last time 10 split up. And then there's just willing a second TARDIS into existance, becuase reasons. I can just see now how the loud minority are gonna be after them to get back to 10 rather then follow the black gay Doctor; seeing how well that excepted girl Doctor. They're already pissy over the trans elements in the first special.

But seperate from that: It might be interesting to see a Doctor that is free from their baggage. I look forward to what 15's run will be like.

Also... Element of the Master left behind picked up by a female hand to be teased for later use? Yeah, we've already seen that from you RTD.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I’d say rumors of a spinoff series is very viable here. That was definitely not how people were expecting things to play out though I’m sure.
Transformers did it first.

G2issue5-PowerandtheGlory-BuddingSteps.jpg

wentwood

Citizen
Doctor Who XL
60th Part 3
The Giggle

This one was pretty solid and hadn't expected Mel to show up.

As for the regeneration that threw me off.

Usually they switch over to the next Doctor but that was unexpected.

It sounds like they might keep 14 on active status in some way

I'll see the special on December 26 so I'm curious to see how 15 and Ruby do in 2 weeks.

I hope RTD plans a few specials on the off to balance out for the drop to 8 episodes.

15 looks like a decent Doctor.

I had seen Doctor Who XXXVI with 12 and Bill on DVD so where they go with 15 doesn't totally phase me.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Okay well I don't like that new Sonic. Looks like Adam Sandler is going to burst out of a alleyway and warn the Doctor that the angel of death is just messing with him to teach him a lesson.

Shadewing

Citizen
I hope RTD plans a few specials on the off to balance out for the drop to 8 episodes.

From what I recall reading; his plans is to fill the gaps with Spin-off series, that was there's a consistent stream of episode throughout the year. So you get 8 eps of DW, 8 eps of likely UNIT, maybe 8 eps of a 3rd thing this episode certainly planted enough seeds. Or maybe we'll see a new Torchwood series; would be nice to get maybe some closure on that. Even if it's a one-off. I'm also kinda hoping maybe we might see some SJA stuff trickle over, since that UK only series brought Clyde back for some of the flashbacks. I'd like to see him and Luke again, espically since they brought up Sarah Jane's death in passing here. I'd be nice to know how Luke's doing and handling his mother's passing.

Top Bottom