Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

I'm surprised with myself but I can't find a trailer for it...

I've just seen the whole Dalek "film" in colour (which just dropped on the BBC iPlayer, I think). I have to admit that although it's technically impressive, the sound editing with the "new"music seemed "jarring" (it felt overlayed in top, rather than mixed in with the "lower quality" speech/sound effects) and the some of the visual edits felt off (like when the Doctor and chums use a Dalek shell to fool the Daleks and someone gets stuck in the shell, but I'm not sure if they was in the original b&w cut).

I did end up looking at my phone more...

Anyway, it was briefly mentioned in the clip below, alongside info about the new episode "tonight" in the UK (at time of press and probably "tomorrow" for me in Japan) :

Also, the BBC children's show, Blue Peter, has a TV spot about Doctor Who.

And the BBC's Breakfast Show has a special on the anniversary.

Last edited:

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Oh gosh. Well on one hand I enjoyed the special and its definitely better written that most the who we got under Chibnal. On the other hand it felt like it got a bit.. sexist and trans-masc phobic towards the end with a completely unnecessary to the plot attempt at having a girl power moment.

New Tardis looks great, I mean it feels way to big, but it looks great. Kinda fucky how its not waterproof.

electricidad

Citizen
Doctor and Donna are back in this largely-delightful special. Went in knowing nothing about the Meep, and was pleased with the direction the story went.

I’m also pleased the two have slipped right back into their comfortable dynamic. (Line of the night goes to Donna, for her crack about men over 35 not wearing skinny suits.)

They do dwell a bit longer than they need to on the “I’m back in this face but why this face?” which means it’s absolutely a plot point that gets resolved in the third special. Still, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Echowarrior

Citizen
New Tardis looks great, I mean it feels way to big, but it looks great. Kinda fucky how its not waterproof.

How do we know it isn't? Why would the TARDIS have a coffee maker in its console, and not provide some protection in case of spills? She might be old, but she's still tricky.

Remember, the TARDIS doesn't always take the Doctor where they need to go...but it does take them where they need to be.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I just watched the special on Disney+ (as I'm at my girlfriend's place) and it was pretty good. My girlfriend has never seen that many Doctor Who episodes, as the streaming services here in Japan don't carry them, so she was happy she could watch an episode with me with Japanese subtitles.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
For those of you that have seen it, could I jump right in if I'm way behind on Who? Loved the Doctor / Donna seasons, but I haven't seen anything past 3/4 of the way through Capaldi.

Shadewing

Citizen
For those of you that have seen it, could I jump right in if I'm way behind on Who? Loved the Doctor / Donna seasons, but I haven't seen anything past 3/4 of the way through Capaldi.

Yes, I think you can. this is basically a direct sequel to the DoctorDonna seasons, it mentions stuff that happened, but this is 98% just RTD getting "10" and Donna back together and tying up that loose end in a mostly remarkable way.

Not completely a fan of the resolution, but by god this is very much "classic" modern who; and I say that as someone that mostly enjoyed 14's run overall. Chibnall got better as he went, but it never fully captured this feeling that RTD just never lost.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Indeed, there's a bit at the beginning of the episode clearly designed to bring new viewers up to date. And if you HAVE already seen the original Doctor/Donna seasons, you're golden.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yeah overall there is no problem jumping back in here even if you jumped out immediately after Tennants run. There are some mentions to his previous regenerations and a joke with the psychic paper, but nothing that would take you out of the show if you know about the Doctor and how he regenerates.

My only issue that I had which might be minor over all is
how does Donna even know he’s ever regenerated at all in between? The whole Noble family has been avoiding him like the plague after Wilf last ran into him at the end. And obviously even if Wilf is aware of regeneration, he wouldn’t have been there for it despite knowing the Doctor was in for it

But the simple explanation would be that Donna would share some knowledge of the Doctor after regaining the Time Lord part of her back. Some part of her might know due to the shared regeneration energy.

Glitch

Citizen

I don't buy the timeless child stuff but I am wondering if the toymaker has something to do with that and the flux.

wentwood

Citizen
Saw The Star Beast this morning.

That was a wild start.

There is one thing I considered however after seeing this -

Donna and Rose flushed their time lord energy out of their bodies -

Donna had wanted to travel with the Doctor again.

As for Rose she wanted a regular girl life. Now she can.

wentwood

Citizen
Donna flushing out her time lord energy

She wanted to keep traveling with the Doctor and she can.

Even if Donna and Rose flushed out their time lord energy the Toy Maker may yet have a more dangerous end game in mind like what happened with the Master in the 3 part Series XXIX finale Utopia - The Last Of The Time Lords.

Top Bottom