Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

Echowarrior

Citizen
I like to think that the Tales of the TARDIS versions of the Doctor that we see are some sort of avatars, versions of the Doctor created by the Memory TARDIS that are so close to the originals that they may as well be the originals. After all, the TARDIS is linked to the minds of all those who have traveled in it.

Of course, this is mostly due to me wanting to canonize them as well as the shorts made to advertise the Blu-Ray releases. These are fantastic.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Honestly, I don't care what they think.

Yes, ideally, a new Doctor coming onboard can make for a good jumping-on point for new fans. That's part of the reason RTD had Eccleston as the Doctor rather than bring back McGann - folks can feel like they're starting fresh. And guess what? It was a good idea.

But yeah, I don't care too much. I don't break up the program based on seasons or series, I break it up based on whomever is playing the Doctor (Hartnell Era, Troughton Era, and so forth). Disney+ wants to advertise it as a fresh start? Fine. Let 'em. Because, for all intents and purposes, it is a fresh start.

And why aren't you discussing this in the pre-existing Doctor Who thread?

Shadewing

Citizen
Disney doesn't have as much say on this as you think. This is still largely the BBC and what they are deciding. Its just they are now partnering with Disney to broaden the brand's reach in other countries. Disney is help funding things, and do get some say in stuff; but the BBC seems to largely be creating this new era by their own choice; though I do feel the Season 1 rebranding IS for Disney; since they won't have any of the older stuff; so it makes sense, imo, that the new stuff be a season 1 to help new viewers understand they don't /have/ to see all the previous seasons.

LiamA

Citizen
Is Neil Patrick Harris the first time they had an American born actor in 'Doctor Who'?

wentwood

Citizen
I've watched Doctor Who since Rose on DVD.

Anyways the LX is to help keep track of the full picture for the series.

wentwood

Citizen
Past Doctor Who

I feel that episodes starting with Rose are Generation II.

Unlike the Rose restart there won't be a 16 year wait for the new Gen III episodes.

I look at the over all big picture of Doctor Who.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I like to think that the Tales of the TARDIS versions of the Doctor that we see are some sort of avatars, versions of the Doctor created by the Memory TARDIS that are so close to the originals that they may as well be the originals. After all, the TARDIS is linked to the minds of all those who have traveled in it.

Of course, this is mostly due to me wanting to canonize them as well as the shorts made to advertise the Blu-Ray releases. These are fantastic.
I've just got the iPlayer to work. The Doctor at the start of the first intro to the first episode says that he, his assistant and the current state of the TARDIS are memories. "Time is memory and memory is time", so they are all recollections by the TARDIS. Apparently, it's trying to recall or remember something.

wentwood

Citizen
Tubi has all of Doctor Who Generation I.

I'm resuming the run with The Claws Of Axos from the 3rd Doctor.

Not on steam is the first 4 part mini series An Unearthly Child.

This I own on DVD in case there was a rights fight for the mini series.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

(Not sure if any are geo-blocked, but they play fine for me in Japan and so I'm going to share several here in the hope that some will be available to us all here)

For those unfamiliar with British culture, "Children in Need", just like "Comic Relief" is a nationwide charity event that's televised on the BBC (and sometimes on rival channels). It usually involves live coverage of people raising money for a collection of charities that are partnered with the events and the televised content runs throughout the week/month, culminating in an almost day-long marathon, with various individual TV shows airing specially themed live/pre-recorded content. In between hosts asking for money, there are also several "crossover/what-if/multiverse/versus" mini-episodes, often featuring famous British characters, franchises, real-life people, etc.

Doctor who has often been part of this.

https://youtu.be/G17_B4uACgg?si=Hap5DobvY20nKw74

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Tubi has all of Doctor Who Generation I.

I'm resuming the run with The Claws Of Axos from the 3rd Doctor.

Not on steam is the first 4 part mini series An Unearthly Child.

This I own on DVD in case there was a rights fight for the mini series.
Unfortunately Tubi is missing a handful of serials, and I ain't just talking about the missing ones.

They don't have The Reign of Terror, The Tenth Planet, The Moonbase, The Ice Warriors, The Web of Fear, or The Invasion.

Interestingly those are all stories where they have missing episodes but, unlike what they do nowadays where they do all of the episodes - even any surviving ones - in animation, they only animated the missing episodes. Not sure if that plays a part in them not being on Tubi, but it is something I noticed. (I know they are all available on iPlayer in the UK - maybe Tubi just didn't want to confuse casual viewers by having these stories switch between being live-action and animated depending on what episode you were on?)

Tbh not having The Web of Fear and it's early PS2 cutscene-ass quality CGI episode 3 is actually a blessing in disguise.

wentwood

Citizen
I just got BBC I player to work. I get to see the new episodes.

Bring it on.

Now I don't need Disney+.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The
I just got BBC I player to work. I get to see the new episodes.

Bring it on.

Now I don't need Disney+.
New episodes aren't out yet though, right?

Also, the quality of streams on iPlayer has never been good for me. I've had to use the mobile app on my TV in order to get anything half decent and then the iPlayer app doesn't always work...

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It's time for a DEATH BAAAATTTTTLE!

(Probaby not safe for work? I think that's a safe bet?)

My thoughts before watching it:

The problem with this is that even if the Doctor dies, he can just regenerate infinitely now. He's effectively immortal.

....And there's literally a infinite number of Ricks (and Mortys) if they want to get the multiverse into this. Rick can can probably summon or reprogram a infinite number of himselves to overwhelm any opponent.

Rick is WAY more willing to fight dirty, though. Even if the Doctor DOES lie. I'm still giving the edge to Rick. I'm betting Rick could find a way to "drown Wolverine" as it were, and trap the Doctor in a constant state of dying, forced to regenerate against his will for all time. Maybe even use the Doctor's infinite regeneration energy to power a refrigerator where he's keeping his snacks, just to add insult to injury.

After watching:
Eh, I call shenanigans. I'm not sure if the D-Mat Gun works on EVERY version of a person in the multiverse, just in that timeline. I'm not sure how it accounts for mind-uploaded backup clones from alternate realities. If the mind-data was already sent to a alternate reality, I'm not sure if the D-Mat Gun would have the "range" to erase it from that alternate reality. But, I'll admit, I don't know how that works.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Rick is WAY more willing to fight dirty, though. Even if the Doctor DOES lie. I'm still giving the edge to Rick. I'm betting Rick could find a way to "drown Wolverine" as it were, and trap the Doctor in a constant state of dying, forced to regenerate against his will for all time.

It is actually canon that the Doctor CAN die. In 'Turn Left' its shown that in that altered reality he died at the end of 'The Runaway Bride' by drowning ironically enough; with it explained that he can died if something happens too fact for regeneration to heal/take effect.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
That's kind of what happened in the 4->5 regeneration, actually. The Doctor wasn't going to be able to regenerate normally, so The Watcher(which was some aspect of himself IIRC?) came down to merge with him and force the regeneration.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It is actually canon that the Doctor CAN die. In 'Turn Left' its shown that in that altered reality he died at the end of 'The Runaway Bride' by drowning ironically enough; with it explained that he can died if something happens too fact for regeneration to heal/take effect.

Honestly? I had forgotten about that before they mentioned it in the video. But, that WAS before he got his powerup from "The Time of the Doctor". And the whole "Timeless Child" thing. So, I honestly don't know how that works anymore.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Honestly? I had forgotten about that before they mentioned it in the video. But, that WAS before he got his powerup from "The Time of the Doctor". And the whole "Timeless Child" thing. So, I honestly don't know how that works anymore.
Not TOTALLY confirmed, but the basic understanding is simply that the 12 regeneration limit (13 distinct incarnations) was artificially imposed, and "Time of the Doctor" merely lifted it. "The Timeless Child" doesn't change any futher rules about "how regeneration works." It just establishes an origin for regeneration (and for the Doctor, pre-"First Doctor") not previously suspected.

Thus, the Doctor still CAN die, exactly as before, should something happen that interrupts a regeneration or otherwise makes it impossible. Nothing's really changed.

Top Bottom