The Twit destroying Twitter is a Twaitor

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
For a non-profit to be viable; there needs to be massive amounts of extant "space" infrastructure. We're not there yet, and unfortunately a for profit model right now will be the most effective means of researching and bringing down the costs of space flight. There is absolutely no doubt that corporate space flight will be very cost effective.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It would be nice if everything was a non-profit, but there's a reason people don't do that. Even those so inclined aren't going to dedicate that much effort to anything other than providing basic necessities to those who can't afford them. Because until that's taken care of, anything else feels like a waste.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Private spaceflight should be banned. It’s incredibly polluting, a waste of natural and economic resources, and gives the human race zero positive benefit – no human will ever set foot on Mars, let alone be able to ever live there. Space travel and colonisation is essentially impossible.
One of the FEW things I actually agree with Musk on is for the human race to survive we HAVE to move beyond Earth. Even if WE don't make it uninhabitable, we're only one cosmic incident away from extinction. True currently, we don't have the tech to have permanent settlements on Mars etc. but that could change. Problem is Musk wants to be the one who does it and he will cut any corners necessary to ensure he gets there first in order to claim the glory.

As far as no positive benefit from private space travel, I'm not convinced. While I would prefer publicly funded space exploration, I do believe there is room for private exploration as well, but it HAS to be regulated in a sane manner.

Shadewing

Citizen
One of the FEW things I actually agree with Musk on is for the human race to survive we HAVE to move beyond Earth. Even if WE don't make it uninhabitable, we're only one cosmic incident away from extinction. True currently, we don't have the tech to have permanent settlements on Mars etc. but that could change. Problem is Musk wants to be the one who does it and he will cut any corners necessary to ensure he gets there first in order to claim the glory.

As far as no positive benefit from private space travel, I'm not convinced. While I would prefer publicly funded space exploration, I do believe there is room for private exploration as well, but it HAS to be regulated in a sane manner.

I'm fairly sure, or at least hopeful; that when SpaceX has an Challenger type event due to said cost cutting; we'll start to see the regulations crack down. That's usually, unfortunately, how these things work. You don't get them till after something goes very wrong to the point that it can't be ignored.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Privately funded space exploration ends in the lightspeed trap, if only because consumerism and profit will always precede technological advancement.

Course, publicly funded space exploration might very well end in the lightspeed trap because of bureaucracy and red tape.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I wouldn't be surprised if shit gets bad this century and the federal government winds up nationalizing the oil companies and SpaceX. Assuming we don't go full Running Man dystopia first.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Privately funded space exploration ends in the lightspeed trap, if only because consumerism and profit will always precede technological advancement.

Course, publicly funded space exploration might very well end in the lightspeed trap because of bureaucracy and red tape.
Or because breaking lightspeed is literally impossible, no less a product of wild imagination than witches turning people into toads.

I dunno, I have a hard time thinking that far ahead either way. Even in a best case scenario it'll be centuries before we land on an exoplanet suitable for settling down on as a replacement for Earth—either because it'll take that long to find one or it'll take that long to perfect terraforming technology—and if we really believe keeping the human species alive for eternity is some kind of moral imperative, we're doomed to fail anyway because the heat death of the universe is also inevitable.

I'm mostly opposed to letting private companies get into space shit because it's an easy way to waste insane amounts of resources and because it could lead to them literally owning entire planets in the off chance they don't blow themselves up trying.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
elnocountry.jpg

Ungnome

Citizen
I wonder if the issues with Starship are due to Musk INSISTING on certain features, the engineers telling him it won't work and Musk telling them to do it anyway. Apparently that happened a LOT at Telsa and is one of the reasons the Model S was so expensive.

Jobs used to do the same thing, one time complaining that the motherboard on one of the Mac models wasn't aesthetically pleasing enough and ordering the engineers to re-route the layout of the ram traces on the board. The engineers told him it would lead to instability, he told them to do it anyway and he only relented when it turned out that the engineers were right.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
The Apple III is the most important "Steve Jobs insists on a bad design" story that can be told. He insisted it be devoid of ventilation fans; it ended up being a disaster because of its tendency to overheat and break down. It's very possible that if not for that, it probably would have dominated the business market before IBM could get a foot in the door.

Ungnome

Citizen
He was great at marketing and convincing people to do what he asked, outside of that....

Musk is just the 4chan version of Jobs with a little Donald Trump thrown in, really.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
he93jS2.png

Ungnome

Citizen
Who won't Elon sue? He's at the point in his life that everyone knows what he's full of so his only recourse is to bring out the lawyers his insane wealth allows him to hire.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
This could be a huge deal because Sweden and Norway are two of Tesla's biggest markets.

Ungnome

Citizen
I'm still trying to figure out how he can sue the Swedish government for the actions of its citizens. Seems unhinged, even for current-day Musk.

Top Bottom