The Toku Thread

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I know it's not a popular opinion.. But after Watching Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider...

Stop giving Anno shit. He's not that great.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Wow really? That's kinda weird.

Ironbite-consensus among Toku Fans is the Shin series was rather well received

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Wow really? That's kinda weird.

Ironbite-consensus among Toku Fans is the Shin series was rather well received
Imagine a Ninja Turtles movie with no jokes.

That's Shin Ultraman.

Now imagine Sam Rami's Spiderman three with less humor, more villains, and the end goal of the bug bad to cause the second impact from Evangelion, in the dark. That is most of Shin Kamen Rider (and not one henshin scene... rider 1 movies seem to have an effing obsession with the helmet.)

Again, Shin Rider was better than Ultraman, but I fell the better parts were mandates.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I have recently been watching the masterpiece that is Star Fleet/X Bomber, and I must revise a previous assessment. Yume no Hero is the second greatest toku theme. The greatest toku theme is the Star Fleet theme. Specifically as covered by Brian May and Eddie Van Halen.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The mask thing is how it was in the original manga. Shin KR pulled a lot from that version of things, like with the surgery scars showing up in Ichimonji before he put on his helmet when he powered up. The entire last bit
with Hongo seemingly dieing, and the bridge scene where he's telling Ichimonji he can feel the wind
was taken directly from the manga too. In the manga though
Hongo became a brain in a jar that remotely connects to Ichimonji rather than downloading his mind, and eventually builds himself a robot body which saves Ichimonji's butt in a later fight
so if they do make a sequel, that'll probably show up in it too.

wentwood

Citizen
Shout Factory

E One has been sold to Lions Gate.

What would that do to Turbo (Series 13) and Magi with USA disk releases?

Last time it happened we lost 2 and a half years before we got 5 Man , Aba and Deka.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So..."Explosion Squadron Boom Boom-gers"? I wonder what they could have been watching recently to come up with something like that?

19438211_hi

Trying to go after Dynaman's crown of most explosions in a single series could be a fun time.

Part of me wonders if they could play on the "Kage" part to be some sort of ninjas, but I don't think that works with the words they're using. Not sure what's with the "booN" part, unless there's something with treasure involved? Looking it up, it looks like it's supposed to be a combination of the sound effects for a explosion with the sound a baseball bat swing makes in Japan (buun buun). So...again, Dynaman inspired, probably.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Rumor is it'll be a vehicle theme, with no rescue element. The Boon could be related to vehicle sounds like Vroon's name(from Zenkaiger) is.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Turns out there's a new Garo series coming finally next year, set in Ryuga's timeline/era.

K0hoS3g.png

1697204485610465.jpg

1697228199783721.png

Unfortunately so far it sounds like Amemiya won't be involved. Plotwise, this might be a "passing the torch" thing for Ryuga too, since Hagane is the term for the basic initial armor knights who just finished their training get, according to the second season way back when.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Huh...well those helmets are sure a...choice. That they are. I guess they have to balance out those big puffy shoes. I...hmm...I'm going to need to see these suits in motion.

"Coming BOON" Okay.

We're only starting out with three, from the looks of it? Huh, okay. I can get behind that.

*squints at the picture* Are they going to be fighting birds? The birds seen fairly prominent for this poster. As well as that ONE star. A return of Car-MAGIC from Carranger, perhaps? (probably not, but still).

At the very least, it looks like they'll be doing something completely different once again. And Sentai's been on a roll lately (....pun wasn't intended, but I'll swerve into it), I have no reason to think this won't be good.

At the very least, if they manage to incorporate some sort of racing element into this, it should make for some exciting action/chase scenes.

wentwood

Citizen
When Shout gets to Bouken will we get DVD or Blu Ray?

Bouken was the first HD Series

Magi will likely be DVD.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
First episode of the new Garo series is out, and following Tsuburaya's lead, Garo Project is making it available internationally on youtube officially, with subtitles.
The monkey's paw twisted though, and they used LLM translation for the subtitles. There's nothing egregiously wrong with the subtitles themselves in English, just a bunch of quirks and minor mistakes that might throw you a bit. And of course the fact it uses "AI" for the translation, for those who care about such things. It looks like T-N may be doing their own subs if you know where to look, not sure if anyone else will.

If the AI subs thing doesn't bother you, or you want to support the official distribution, you can watch it here:

And if you'd rather fansubs than AI subs, as I said, T-N seems to have done them if you know where to look.

And if you just want some eye candy, here's the new opening:

Top Bottom