The Repaint Concept Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Interesting choice, though I'd think that Sentinel Maximus would be the preferable form of the mold to use.
But it's the same mold. The suggested digibash would have a new Optimal Primal head put on it, not an existing head in Primal's colors (especially one that looks more like Optimus Prime than Primal).

Lobjob

Citizen
I still think both retooled heads are very Primaly. Based on nothing i doubt those are easy to get to or exist at all these days. Also wouldn't stop the digibash from happening. Sorry for the rambling, i just like acknowledging Sentinel Maximus exists.

Although when Hasbro inevitably makes a legacy overload...

Last edited:

Onyx

Citizen
If and Digi-repainters have the time, I would love to see what the Siege Seeker mold repainted as both Scourge and his Sweeps. As well as the Earthrise Seeker mold repainted as both Gen Selects Cyclonus and Kingdom Cyclonus. Working on something for my personal continuity that may have me doing some RL repainting soon.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But it's the same mold. The suggested digibash would have a new Optimal Primal head put on it, not an existing head in Primal's colors (especially one that looks more like Optimus Prime than Primal).
I mean, mostly. The head is a different mold.

From the way the initial post read, I thought you were talking a straight recolor of the original mold, head and all.

But yeah, a new head would be the ideal way to go, of course.

Rycochet

Citizen
LcJ7jyq.png

Yes, I known it;'s autobotty, but I'm a sucker for vintage space toy colours.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
u84d0c7.png

We've had MP, leader, voyager, deluxe, core class and legends... Titan Seekers anyone?
Don't tempt them! They know people would buy it!

Actually, it's kind of surprising that there were never repaints of Cybertron Supreme Starscream

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I seem to remember those shelfwarming to the point of clearance, at least in my area., so they probably assumed there wasn't enough demand.

That's true, now that you say that. It's the only reason I own one. I hadn't been watching Cybertron, but I kept an eye out for good looking toys that integrated well with the Classics. When Supreme Starscream went on deep clearance at K-Mart, I picked one up to represent Underbase-powered Starscream.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It also didn't help that most people didn't even want that giant Starscream at first, wishing Hasbro had just released the Voyager class toy from Galaxy Force. It wasn't until Starscream finally went big in the cartoon halfway through the series (months after the toy's release) that people decided they wanted the big toy, but by that point the Supreme toy was mostly already gone from retail stores. And it wasn't even released in Japan as part of the Galaxy Force line, just as a limited import in Hasbro packaging. Talk about pretty bad synergy between the U.S. toyline, the Japanese toyline, and the show.

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It also didn't help that most people didn't even want that giant Starscream at first, wishing Hasbro had just released the Voyager class toy from Galaxy Force. It wasn't until Starscream finally went big in the cartoon halfway through the series (months after the toy's release) that people decided they wanted the big toy, but by that point the Supreme toy was mostly already gone from retail stores. And it wasn't even released in Japan as part of the Galaxy Force line, just as a limited import in Hasbro packaging. Talk about pretty bad synergy between the U.S. toyline, the Japanese toyline, and the show.

That's interesting. I wasn't really following Cybertron news at the time, so I guess I always just assumed that the toy came AFTER that development on the show. I can see why people wouldn't have wanted what looked to just be a large and wildly out-of-scale figure of a popular character (which is absolutely the kind of thing toymakers do all the time, whether it makes any sense or not).

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
That's interesting. I wasn't really following Cybertron news at the time, so I guess I always just assumed that the toy came AFTER that development on the show. I can see why people wouldn't have wanted what looked to just be a large and wildly out-of-scale figure of a popular character (which is absolutely the kind of thing toymakers do all the time, whether it makes any sense or not).
The Supreme class Starscream toy was a launch item for the toyline, released at the beginning of the line before the cartoon had even started airing in the U.S.

EDIT: Now that I've found the release dates of everything, let me paint a complete picture.
  • The Galaxy Force toyline started in Japan in December 2004, with the cartoon premiering a month later on January 8, 2005.
  • The Cybertron toyline didn't release in the U.S. until June 2005, with the cartoon premiering on July 2, 2005 (a whole six months after both first released in Japan)
  • The Supreme class Starscream toy was a Hasbro exclusive, and released with the launch of the toyline in June 2005.
  • By June 2005, the Galaxy Force cartoon in Japan was wrapping up its second story arc on Jungle Planet and just beginning its third story arc with Starscream making his big play for power on Earth.
  • The Supreme class Starscream toy was not released in the Galaxy Force line proper, but as a limited USA Edition exclusive to Toys R Us Japan, released in August 2005 (two months after its Hasbro release).
  • The episode of the cartoon in which Starscream finally grows giant first aired in Japan on July 30, 2005, so the timing of the Hasbro toy's imported release in Japan a month later is reasonable, but that same episode would not see release in English until March 25, 2006 (EIGHT months after its debut in Japan, and NINE months after the Hasbro toy's release at the START of the Cybertron toyline).
  • The second Supreme class toy, Primus, would not first see release until February 2006 in Japan (one month after the cartoon finished airing on Japanese television), and June 2006 in the West (during a gap of time when the show was on hiatus in the U.S., but at a point when Primus had just been revealed onscreen two months earlier), meaning there was a full YEAR of time between the Cybertron toyline's Wave 1 and Wave 2 Supreme class releases.

Last edited:

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I saw that huge Cybertron Starscream many times at retail and passed on it. Then I decided to grab the Galaxy Force Voyager version, and I'm still glad that I did. I like the toy a lot, I just didn't need it at triple (or whatever) the size.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My theory, and this is pure speculation without knowing anything that went down behind the scenes, is that Hasbro was determined to save Primus for late in the line to give him an appropriate buildup (and maybe the mold wasn't ready anyway), but some retailer or another refused to promise them a Supreme slot unless the line had one from the launch. So they had to cobble something together or risk getting crowded out later.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
My theory, and this is pure speculation without knowing anything that went down behind the scenes, is that Hasbro was determined to save Primus for late in the line to give him an appropriate buildup (and maybe the mold wasn't ready anyway), but some retailer or another refused to promise them a Supreme slot unless the line had one from the launch. So they had to cobble something together or risk getting crowded out later.
And that's if the Primus toy was planned from the get-go.

Unicron, for instance, wasn't part of the original plan for Armada back when it started up. The decision to add him to the line was first conceived at a much later stage after Armada had already begun (the original vision for the line was merely the Mini-Con collecting incentive, with the "Armada" title referring to the vast army of Mini-Cons that one was supposed to amass by collecting all the toys).

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Wasn't the ring around the Minicon emblem a subtle hint of a Unicron connection, though? I mean, Im sure there was no plan to make a Unicron toy until later in the series, but it seems like there might have been at least some idea that Unicron had a part to play in the story?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Wasn't the ring around the Minicon emblem a subtle hint of a Unicron connection, though? I mean, Im sure there was no plan to make a Unicron toy until later in the series, but it seems like there might have been at least some idea that Unicron had a part to play in the story?
What ring?
Minicon_symbol.png

It's a square. Turned on one of its corners.

And don't forget that that the Mini-Cons had zero ties to Unicron in the Armada comics, which came out before the cartoon started.

Top Bottom