The Caffeinated Equine Thread

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Today I spent many hours trying to run a DOS program that kept hanging up on a divide by zero error. It turns out I just had to change one value in the INI file. Then it worked.

I loved every minute of it.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
u-dun-goofed.jpeg

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Welp, there goes that universe! Guess it's time to roll up another character sheet.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've managed to install OS/2 Warp 4. Haven't been able to install a working browser though.

I regret getting sound to work, because holy moly the system sounds are obnoxious.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The last time I got Cuban coffee they offered a larger size.

They do not do that often.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Windows 12 is supposedly going to have a bunch of built in AI crap nobody asked for.

*sigh* I hate Linux. I hate it. But I will find something I can live with.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
if that's true, i might have to get something not running on Microsoft. I'm tired of their subscription shit anyway.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hopefully the ReactOS devs will finally get it together soon. It is the true hope for personal computing.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have now confirmed with absolute certainty that objects in my house are being moved around and it's not me doing it.

So a little while back I started noticing that objects weren't where I expected them in the morning. Nothing important. Nothing missing. Just stuff moved around a little bit. Like my usual chair at my kitchen table wasn't right where it should be. Stupid harmless things like that. The obvious explanation was that I must have moved it the last time I got up, and just didn't think about it. So I tried to pay attention to it. Still moved.

So I said hug it. I made a point to know where everything was before bed. I took notes. If they moved, it could not be me. They're right here, right now, and I'm not touching them again tonight. List made. I'm going to bed.

Still moved.

Either I have a poltergeist, or I am doing some unusually elaborate sleepwalking despite having no history or risk factors for sleepwalking at all, and have managed not to hurt myself yet. Or someone is quietly breaking into my house, harmlessly rearranging stuff, not touching the cash I left plainly visible, and politely locking the door on their way out. I kinda doubt that.

So I suppose the next step is to set up cameras and figure out where I'm going to store 8 or 9 hours of video.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's a poltergeist.

This time that chair wasn't moved in the morning. The whole table was moved in the opposite direction, achieving the same relative effect. Whatever's doing this is intelligent, it knows I know, and now it's toying with me.

The non paranormal options aren't credible. I make no secret that I'm armed and jumpy. Nobody's breaking into my house to pull a dumb prank. And I don't think I dragged a heavy table while sleepwalking. So what am I left with?

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Small tremors? House settling? Some creepy person living in your cabinets who comes out after you sleep to eat your food?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I considered a foundation issue, because a few objects were consistently moving west, including my chair at my kitchen table. So if my floor is on a slope, maybe that would explain it. But then the table moved east. If my house is on a slant, the table and all the chairs under it should be sliding the same direction. But that is not the case. Suddenly the table moved east and the chair wasn't moved at all.

And if it's a foundation issue or tremors, how is it strong enough to slide heavy furniture around yet nothing's falling off shelves or anything like that? I'm not waking up to a whole house in disarray. Whatever's doing this is strangely selective.

Top Bottom