The Caffeinated Equine Thread

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In a recent dream I saw a different apocalypse scenario than usual. It was one of those dreams that feels like it lasts years. It was a slow motion kaiju apocalypse. At first I didn't know if it was just my city or what, but during a moment of downtime I learned that it was happening everywhere. They started out small but gradually became too big to fight. The dream went through a lot of stages as these things got bigger and humanity got shuffled around in a continuous attempt to just stay away from these things. I moved four times. The fourth move sent me to a place that turned out to be already wrecked by the time I got there. There was enough left standing to use for shelter, but really no other resources, and communication ceased to be a thing so there was no way to know where to try moving next. There was a lot of thought given to just giving up. Eventually a kaiju appeared in the distance, but it never came our way.

Finally, with no way to fight these things and no idea where to try wandering next, with no reason to believe there would be anything better waiting for me if I did keep moving, with no hope left whatsoever, suddenly, in a moment that felt like divine intervention...

... the world was destroyed by a new Great Flood.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Another dream. I saw the flood again, from a different perspective. It wasn't sudden this time. This was just another normal, boring, mostly realistic dream. Just slice of life normalcy. Except that it was raining. Always raining. And after what felt like days of this, it was still raining. It was starting to flood badly enough that we had to stop and notice. Things started breaking down, but it didn't devolve into chaos. People adapted. We gave up on things ever going back to normal, but we didn't give up on making something work. It was kinda comfy.

This dream was probably derived from a distorted combination of my memories of some past hurricanes, and the epic flooding Fort Lauderdale saw in April of this year.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I had a dream about a Commander Ultra Magnus. But not the Legacy one. A different design. It was still a boring all-in-one design but at least it looked nice. It looked very nice. The proportions were just beautiful.

But there was a picture of a leaked sample, and some of the colors were different from the official reveal, and they were wrong. Some parts that should have been blue were red. This resulted in several pages of complaining, and speculation as to whether the factory goofed it up or Hasbro deliberately changed it for unknown reasons, a few people coping that it didn't actually look bad, just incorrect, as well as a few people popping in just to do the usual useless "WOW why do people care so much about this? Look at ME not caring. Can't you see how much I'M not caring?" shtick. You know who you are.

Then another picture surfaced of a different sample that was screwed up similarly, but less extensively. So now we were sure this was the factory screwing something up. Then the discussion evolved into analyzing the three versions to figure out which parts were on the same sprues, and that got fun.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rumor is Windows 12 will be subscription based. I surrender.

If you can see this message, I have successfully posted from Linux.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Can't download Firefox or Discord. I have two built-in browsers and they both suck. This site looks horrendous. But it's technically working.

Update: Firefox is working! The site looks fine now.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's just a rumor for now. Just a sadly believable one.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I do like Windows. We complain a lot, but ultimately the only thing wrong with Windows is Microsoft itself. They add flaws that aren't inherent to the design and are often completely removable. Cut their crap and there is a really good product under it all. I don't want to give up that good design.

But if Windows ever goes subscription only I am gone. I hate Linux but subscriptions are a line I will not cross. I will own my stuff.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I mean, it's one thing to have certain programs subscription based. I don't like it, mind. But if it means I don't have to buy a whole new suite every time Office gets a new version, I can understand the trade off.

But to have your entire operating system be subscription based? Glad I switched to Mac! As long as your system can handle it, upgrades are free.

I really hope this bites MS in the ass.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I used a Mac back when I needed Final Cut Pro. It was fine but I don't remember much about it. I never tried looking under the hood, so I didn't get to know its quirks. But I never needed to look under the hood, so it certainly had something going for it.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
If it were my job to worry, I'd be paranoid too. Why do they need me to be worried all the time? What's their endgame?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Last night I had a very different sleep paralysis visitor. This time it was... my old dog. I could barely make a sound and barely get my arms to twitch, but it was still a pretty good experience. It's been quite a few years now and I guess I still miss him even more than I realized.

Top Bottom