Takara Missing Link G1 Series

unluckiness

Somehow still sane
Citizen
The sales have little to do with the design and everything to do with being Optimus. The toys are literally the G1 transformations with a few added joints; it’s cool but not all that impressive. People in their garages have been doing that for decades now.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I would absolutely be interested in Megatron, the Constructicons, Rodimus, and Hot Rod. Outside those, I don't have a ton of interest. The G1 toys were a blast 40 years ago, but I've just largely moved past them.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The Seekers are an obvious one to do but seems like one of the hardest. How much can you change the Parts-forming and such before it stops being Missing Link which prides itself on being exactly the original aesthetic but fully poseable.

Soundwave seems very easy, but do you articulate up the cassettes?

I'd buy Brawn though I'm not sure how they'd do his arms. Also his tiny feet are barely sufficient to hold up a non poseable toy.

Doing Prowl seems obvious as it gets you Blue Streak, Smokescreen and most of Jazz easy enough.

Most of the original Autobot cars should be fairly doable prospects. Ironhide and Ratchet would be interesting to see.

-ZacWilliam, moving beyond 84 the Dinobots or at least Grimlock would probably be a huge seller and Ultra Magnus is at least something they could consider since they did Prime.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I'm mildly interested in this line, but the price really keeps me from indulging in my curiosity. Especially with the minibots. 40 bucks is too much. At least for me.

Arazyr

Citizen
I'm splurging on Bumblebee and Cliffjumper from this, but only because I have a small sub-collection of the G1 BB/CJ design figures, and these would be a crowning addition.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I'd be down for Leader 1, Cy-Kill and then anyone else I owned as a kid I guess.

-ZacWilliam, I'm still sad I missed out on the Spay-C toy from the last time they did Machine Robo
From the Action Toys run, I wish I'd picked up Steam Robo and Buggy Robo, but they were getting pretty fiddly, and I was trying to budget better, so I didn't go completionist on them.

My personal wants for a Machine Robo Missing Link series would be Baron Von Joy, Turbo, and Flip-Top for the Guardians and Zero, Twin Spin, and Stinger for the Renegades. Oh, also Bug Bite, if only to compare with Bumblebee.

Shockwave 75

Citizen
I'm splurging on Bumblebee and Cliffjumper from this, but only because I have a small sub-collection of the G1 BB/CJ design figures, and these would be a crowning addition.
Yeah, I splurged on the trailer-less Optimus at a toy show a while back, but Bee and Cliff are over $50 each here in Canada. No thanks!
I'd have been all in at $30, MAYBE even $40, but between $53-$56 each, depending on the retailer, I'm out.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Do we think this line may not last very long because of the R&D costs?
I think this line may not last very long because it's a 40th anniversary thing.

I mean, if it were successful enough, I've no doubt they would continue it, but besides the "costs" of R&D, this seems like a lot of extra WORK that they probably never had any intention of sustaining for long, so it's probably only intended for this fairly narrow window of time.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Wasn't the Masterpiece line announced to be folding into the MPG series? If the Missing Link figures sell well (and continue to do so), I could see them continuing the line to fill the space left by Masterpiece. (Similar complexity/parts count, but without the need to be combiners as well)

That said, Transformers is said to be a pretty niche market in Japan, so I would imagine these would have to sell REALLY well to continue beyond the 40th anniversary.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I think this line may not last very long because it's a 40th anniversary thing.
True, but, in the past, we've gotten anniversary things that people didn't expect to continue beyond their respective celebratory years yet did, so I wouldn't necessarily see the anniversary aspect as an immovable roadblock, which is why I singled out the R&D costs.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If this were intended as a short term line just for the anniversary, I imagine they'd be doing something more interesting than Minibots right now.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Bumblebee is a main enough character to justify it, and Cliffjumper can reuse basically all of the actual engineering with a new car shell and face, so he's not a huge extra investment from there.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, they're limited as to iconic characters that are also possible to do. Megatron probably isn't going to happen. The seekers are likely impossible due to the amount of partsforming that they do. Soundwave and Grimlock are definitely candidates, though.

Top Bottom