Takara Missing Link G1 Series

MrBlud

Citizen
I know the new ones piss off some people who legit wanted a reissue of the original but I love my light blue Thundercracker (with painted face!)

Lobjob

Citizen
I had an original G1 op as a a kid *and* a G2 op (I still have them) and I consider myself very fortunate. Garage sales aren't quite like they used to be. This thing is glorious and if I didn't have either of those I would be all over this.

Now you know what I didnt have 30 plus years ago? A G1 Nemesis Prime...

Blot

Citizen
Nothing we've ever gotten before, from Hasbro or a third party, has come close to this level of re-engineering a G1 toy while keeping everything that was G1 about its appearance and size. For someone who loves Transformers as toys first and foremost, it's mind-blowing that something like this could exist. I don't want it *instead of* all the G1 reimaginings and reissues and recolors we've gotten over the years, but I love it as its own thing. It's a marvelous curiosity. In its own way, it's a Masterpiece.
We almost did, funny enough!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Here's something unexpected.

Similar to how Beast Wars Again has rebroadcast certain episodes of the Japanese dub of Beast Wars (albeit, cut in half to make two 15-minute episodes each), TakaraTomy has gone and uploaded the Japanese dub of first three episodes of the G1 cartoon, the three-part pilot mini-series, onto YouTube, to tie in with Missing Link.

What's more, while these videos lack both the opening theme song or the end credits sequence, they instead end with a new toy advert for new Missing Link line, showing that the idea for these new Optimus toys was rooted into an articulated fan custom of the original toy that was shown on display at BotCon Japan 1997.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's funny where people in the fandom draw the line over what is and isn't too expensive.
I agree with this because I am very bad about it. There are certain pieces that I'm like "OMG... I MUST HAVE IT... TAKE MY MONEY!" and then other pieces, that might be even less, where I say "HOW MUCH?!?! NO WAY!!". I really think it just has to do with what speaks to me and what doesn't. Some pieces really fit something in my brain and it makes me do whatever it takes to get it. Other pieces, while I think are cool, just don't speak to my brain the same way.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here's something unexpected.

Similar to how Beast Wars Again has rebroadcast certain episodes of the Japanese dub of Beast Wars (albeit, cut in half to make two 15-minute episodes each), TakaraTomy has gone and uploaded the Japanese dub of first three episodes of the G1 cartoon, the three-part pilot mini-series, onto YouTube, to tie in with Missing Link.

What's more, while these videos lack both the opening theme song or the end credits sequence, they instead end with a new toy advert for new Missing Link line, showing that the idea for these new Optimus toys was rooted into an articulated fan custom of the original toy that was shown on display at BotCon Japan 1997.

Front Paged!

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I agree with this because I am very bad about it. There are certain pieces that I'm like "OMG... I MUST HAVE IT... TAKE MY MONEY!" and then other pieces, that might be even less, where I say "HOW MUCH?!?! NO WAY!!". I really think it just has to do with what speaks to me and what doesn't. Some pieces really fit something in my brain and it makes me do whatever it takes to get it. Other pieces, while I think are cool, just don't speak to my brain the same way.
I am pretty much here. If it's a Gobots reference, it becomes a must-own-at-any*-price (*though I recently discovered during an ebay auction what my upper limit was for even that kind of purchase). On the other hand, I've passed on some stuff recently that would have been bought on sight 10-15 years ago.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I pulled the trigger on a preorder today for the toy version. Even if the line starts and ends with Optimus, this will be one of those Takara curiosities that will endure in my heart forever (alongside the Disney Label Mickey Prime and the Nike Megatron).

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am seriously considering the $69 version. I honestly don't believe that the trailer and some minor color changes are worth the extra $50.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The new boxart in case you folks didn't check it out on the front page:

1691787367740.png

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I got a G1 Prime when it was new (I don't think I have pictures) but I clearly remember the close-molded foam being such a paint to get the toy OUT of. After I saw Transformers the Movie (in theaters when it first came out...) I found some hair clip thing laying around in my house and it looked close enough to the Matrix I stuck it in Prime's chest. Later the arm broke off, so I re-reused that Optimus as the dead one from Dark Awakening.

My 'with trailer' Primes are the Ghostbusters one, the dead one, and the TR 'Powermaster' that transforms without coming apart. This one reminds me a great deal of the awesome kitbashes I saw at the only Botcon I went to back in the Beast Wars era. I wished back then I could have pulled off something similar. Now they have it for sale and it's when finances are iffy.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This one reminds me a great deal of the awesome kitbashes I saw at the only Botcon I went to back in the Beast Wars era.
Funny you should say that, because this line was inspired by one such custom that was on display at BotCon Japan 1997.

bcj97progf.jpg

Alas, the program guide seems to be the only image of this custom online (even if it's just a drawing).

Top Bottom