Starfield: bethesda's newest offering.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Where oblivion meets fallout 4 and elite dangerous.

In other words: it's the 24th century, humanity has begun the long process of settling the galaxy... and I'm still wandering around looking for ammo, super glue and duct tape. Excuse me; vacuum tape and sealant.

I kid, I kid: I actually do love wandering around collecting crafting materials. Like, seriously; crafting, and modifying my own equipment is literally my jam.

But you're not here for that: let's hit the high points!

Graphics: The game looks good... once you turn of dynamic resolution. The pixels disappear right away when you do that. Yes, even if you set it to the highest resolution. Sure, it suffers from the same thing that all other games suffer from: notably repeating textures, but they are very pretty textures. Also, the environmental filters tend to make most places look piss coloured, but eh, doesn't bother me.

Gunplay: Matches fallout 4 in general. Same level of AI involvement and intelligence. Relatively smooth and flowing; enemies ain't geniuses but take cover, fall back when charged. I liked the gunplay in fallout 4, so absolutely no complaints here... yet. But hey: that's what mods are for. :p

Now, where this game is more like oblivion than fallout is the cluttered world in which most of the crap you can grab isn't worth it. The set pieces (to date.) are gorgeous, lived in (in both the comfortable and homey way, and the dystopic/post apocalyptic way.) and is generally well done. There's all kinds of lore in individual places which cue you into what happened there, as well as the usual bethesda exemplary environmental story telling... I'm still waiting to run into a terrormorph... actually, dreading it. I doubt my coachman will be enough to stop it. And the skills you spec into actually have an effect in the world at large, giving specials interaction options; speech checks, hacking, combat, crafting. The usual for bethesda but FAR more ingrained and better implemented than in previous offerings. It's actually slower and feels more like an RPG. You aren't in town to JUST unload your inventory: you're seeing what's changed, hunting new missions, looking for new people to talk to. So far anyway, haven't gotten hundreds of hours under my belt yet. I have managed to move some contraband already, but the red flags to the mission only appeared when I pushed through ALL the available conversation options with the dude. I still did it, cause... money. But still.

Space combat is fairly simple: like you would see in a barebones space flight simulator. One gun breaks shields, one works on hulls, and missile for heavy damage. There is a seemingly all encompassing shipyard system, but it seems very based towards end game, and a tooltip made it clear that no ship has more than three weapons. Simple ain't bad though, it's fluid, sometimes hectic, and easy enough to grasp that it's not a bar to the rest of the gameplay. There is also a default pirate faction which you can freely attack at will and no one will blink at it. To whit: I passed a persuasion check with the local pirate leader to get him to stop attacking me and my ship: then noticed there was an explosive barrel behind him and blew his ass up anyway. Got a "nice" space suit out of it.

I am liking it. It's a slower play than like fallout 4, 76, skyrim or ESO. And I don't mean like long to play, I mean like; you aren't feeling rushed. You're doing stuff yeah, you have missions, yeah, but most of them don't have time caps, the ones I've seen are fairly generous, and you don't have the pressure of being the dovakin, the nerevarine, or the sole survivor. Given the nature of gameplay, there are a fair number of load screens: but you can effectively cut them in half through proper use of the game menus.

But it IS a bethesda game, and they are absolute bastards when it comes to monetization. But... I am kinda looking forward to at least SEEING the dlc offerings. If nothing else, in a few years we'll get a remastered edition for free for just owning the game.

I like it, I do. It's scratching all the itches I currently have; all the base building, looting and raiding, space ship fighting desires.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright, on a technical level: I am impressed. It's amazingly stable, swift and functional for a just launched bethesda title. It hasn't crashed, isn't stuttering, isn't getting caught in loading loops. There isn't even the volume of background nonsense with the NPC's you usually find in bethesda game. I've seen ONE dude just trying to walk through another person, that's it. No floating, no appendages through models, no contortions, nothing. While dropping a WORKING title isn't supposed to be an impressive feat: we are still talking about bethesda here. I'm wondering if they learned something from the 76 launch, or if this is the hands of microsoft making themselves felt. I am also no fool to think that snappy load times is the norm here. I know my shit is fast, but it seems at least slightly optimized because it's far faster than it should even for a high end SSD and a 100 gig bethesda title.

Other than that: my single complaint is that the lives of the interactable NPC's in the game isn't as nearly full or busy as in other titles. Even in morrowind: folks had schedules. Shops closed, shopkeeps went home, eat food, go to bed. They don't here. You meet a person at the counter: they are always there. Most times, they don't even seem to wander around even in a small radius. Same thing with the members of constellation at the lodge: They sandbox around the main floor; but they don't hit up work stations, or go to bed, or hit the bar. I get WHY though: the different times on each world makes it harder to have a fluid game play experience if you're constantly chasing people among multiple places, sometimes behind locked doors. Just feels like a missed opportunity to me: they could have shoved some more robots in there and done a diamond city surplus. I mean: fallout has more robots than a space faring, highly technical, highly industrialized society. In fact: I've only seen TWO working robots, and one of them is a companion.

(is waiting for the mod which turns them all into protectrons.)

Edit: Something I am liking though: not every tom, dick and harry is champing at the bit to make conversation with you. Not every citizen is turning their heads and making random chitchat. Guards are still talky, but it's a welcome thing to walk through town and not have literally every person within a radius spout a random line. To be just another person in the crowd, and not some center of world attention. You are not big in this game, there is a world that plods on with or without you.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I'm wondering if they learned something from the 76 launch, or if this is the hands of microsoft making themselves felt.
I'd say the latter, as from what I heard Microsoft engaged EVERY QA person they employ to QA Starfield(not just Bethesda resources), and then they obviously gave the devs enough time to do something with all that feedback.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So last night, I transitioned between an inside and outside while an NPC was talking to me... and he didn't load into the new map with me!

They have very much upgraded the gamebrio engine, and by no small measures here.

Also: laredo weapons? Yeah, that shit is awesome. Lawgiver for the win!

wonko the sane?

Citizen
-Gets mission,
-flies halfway across known space,
-lands at abandoned military listening outpost,
-Fights through space pirates inhabiting the outpost,
-Rescues the person I was sent to find out the status of;

Hi! I'm from galbank! Can you please make a loan payment? Thank you!

I shit you not, that was my last half an hour.

Dake

Citizen
Woo, can't wait to install Starfield!

IMG_20230911_161513.jpg

J/k, about forty hours in and enjoying myself immensely. Some things could always be better, the absence of ground vehicles (even Skyrim has horses) or (as near as I can tell) summon your ship to you is a bit annoying.

But it's been solid. Not a single crash on either the desktop or Steam deck!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
A lot of people are hating on this game but everything I'm seeing says I would have fun with it. This is going on my "When I can afford anything besides food" list.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, I can maybe understand a couple of the common complaints (and I am annoyed that they intentionally disabled the nvidia side in favour of Amd; thank goodness for mods), but much of the griping seems to involve people expecting to play the newest AAA title on an old PC.

Like, welcome to every big new game ever! No you can't play it on Ultra/120 fps on your 486.

It does look "softer" than something like Cyberpunk or BG3, but that seems to be an intentional aesthetic choice, and I'm fine with it.

It also plays fine on Steam deck (Low) so far, so that's good.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
From a distance, I think the "It gets good after 12 hours" meme might be real but misunderstood. It's not that it mechanically takes that long to reach the fun parts. It's that the game doesn't really tell you what you can do, and the marketing didn't give it all away. So there's a lot of "I didn't know that was a thing" moments that slowly add up until it's 12 hours in and you're invested in some goofy goal you've set for yourself.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So I was hoofing it around some blasted, airless moon, when a ship drops in out in the distance. I figured, okay, let's go check this out, the scanner doesn't give any useful information, and I want to know what ship that is.

So I walk out there... and immediately start getting shot at by ecliptic mercenaries. There is no good cover from them where I'm standing (due to how I approached the ship.)... except their own airlock bay. So I leg it up the ramp.

Oh hey, I can enter this ship! The last time I was in another airlock bay (spacer ship during a mission.) I couldn't open the door. So I head inside.

-Kill the crew OR
-leave the ship

Oh now that's a NEAT pop up...

Anywho; long story short, I now have a new ship. Need to rebuild my funds, and hit up a couple of shipyards to see if I can get some better parts on it. New Atlantis is great if you're shopping *for you*, but if you're in the market for ship parts: it's kind of a pissant source.

Unrelated to my misadventures in grand theft spaceship: does anyone else get the feeling that starfield was built with the idea of making it an MMO like 76? Or like the precursor to such a venture?

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Most of the complaints I see about Starfield *and I haven't played it.. no desire too.. so no fist in this fight*

Are basically people who go to McDonalds... Buy McDonalds Food. Eat McDonalds Food.. Then Complain that it tastes like McDonalds Food.

Basically.. It's a Bethesda game... and people should have known that going in.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yup, pretty much. Hell, if they took out a few circuit boards and dropped in a few nixie tubes: it would be fallout in space.

And I have absolutely no complaint with that. None of this is particularly outstanding or groundbreaking; but it's good, it's fun to play.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh God. This game has a perk that lets you get out of trouble by playing verbal ping-pong with NPCs until you break their souls.

This game was made for me.

Dake

Citizen
My two main ships: Axolotl and Night Mantis

bpgb1Dm.jpg

The Mantis is my "algorithm exploit", which is supposed to make it harder for the AI to hit you in a space battle. But I'm kind of wondering if that's been patched out already as I just got my ass handed to me by a trio of Eclipse Bayonets who had no problem hitting me quickly and frequently. :D

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would be shocked if Bethesda patched out an exploit people were having fun with. Maybe your ship is still too sensible looking to pull it off. You almost have a B-Wing there.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I've yet to find a colour scheme that makes those taiyo modules look good... I'm also wondering how long it will take (once mod tools drop.) that someone will create a star wars ship parts pack.

Top Bottom