Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Finished season 2. Man, I think I shouldn't binge these. I end up losing sleep.

The forgetting planet made me think of the Memento movie and it's a pretty scary predicament. But OMQ, Erica became my favorite character because of her I am Erica Ortega's. I fly the ship! Luuuuved it!

Odd to me but Spock isn't a favorite character of mine. I didn't care much for his human switch. Maybe it's cuz it's all about his marriage stuff. I did enjoy his mini bathroom punchy tantrum, haha

I felt sad for the poor guy with the hallucinations. Would have been nice to see the creatures tho. I'd like to see more of Pelia the engineer. I would have loved to see her interact with Hemmer, when he was alive.

Saw the crossover ep before. But it was only now that I got that La'an was telling Boimler to be careful of messing with the past cuz she was recovering from Kirk heartache.

The war flashback ep was gritty but I didn't get the ending. What was that thing on the healing pad? Alvarado? Did I miss something? And also I doubt Benga could kill a bunch of Klingon generals, with or without his drug.

The musical ep was great fun but, darn, I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't see the Klingon bit beforehand. I thought there's be more silliness along those lines but it was all about resolving the relationships. I'm actually glad the La'an and Chapel stuff is out of the way. Cool that I saw in Wrath of Khan movie that Kirk had a child and this Carol being pregnant must be referencing it.

The Gorn in space suit looks great! Very cool looking! Scotty seems very suspicious btw. So many coincidences for him. Since Batel didn't die in this ep, I'm sure she'll survive next season. Though I kinda want Pike to fool around more, haha. Honestly, there's not enough Pike centric stuff.

Anyhow, SNW is quite awesome. Looking forward to more.

Only going to watch the Star Trek movies when I visit my friend. Will be watching Next Gen next.

I loved the fully human Spock episode and its setting off for Chappel and Spock. This season also gives TOS Spock a good reason to be reserved of Chappel's advances then. The whole Spock getting upset about his human mother getting insulted is a great piece of canon to have.

What you might not realize about Mbenga is that he was a member of Section 31. The Andorian that he was talking to, was Section 31 and wanted his help to get to the Klingons. Mbenga was an amazing assassin using that drug to enhance his abilities, he can decimate numerous enemies in hand to hand combat. You can see how he is evenly matched with the Klingon in their sparring without the drug. Mbenga became a doctor to try to be a better person, but as you can see, a lot of times the galaxy won't let him. I was hoping for a redeemed Klingon War criminal story in this episode like we got in DS9, but its twist was pretty good too.

Yup, He mentions her name, Carrol. She is Dr. Carrol Marcus, and they will name their son David. Something will happen and Carrol will ask Kirk to stay away and let her raise the child alone, as Kirk mentions in TWOK. David shows up again in the third Star Trek film, the Search for Spock. No idea if Carrol's father is an admiral in the Prime timeline, but he was in the Kelvin universe. Maybe her father dies in service and that triggers her to ask Kirk to choose between Star Fleet and them. That is just me guessing though. I hope that after he and Carrol break up that Kirk calls on La'an again.

Scotty is awesome! The reason why he survived was that he is a miracle worker, and he can hot wire a toaster into a photon torpedo.

TNG is a great series to watch! Just a word of advice, season 1 is a bit rough to get through, but once you do, the show is amazing.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd argue that Quantum Leap still doesn't have the writers dealing with a universe where time travel makes things better. It's just that instead of avoiding time travel making things better, they avoid dealing with the universe.
They change things, and sometimes they talk about the consequences. A lot of the times he helps, it just helps people in general, and not huge epic events. however, there are a few examples off the top of my head of them talking about the consequences.

When Young Al is accused of murder, and Sam messes it up to where its almost certain that Al will be convicted, a new guy shows up. To that guy, he has always been there and this was just another mission. Once Sam gets the likelihood back down, Al shows back up.

On the train, Sam helps this woman in her law studies, which gets her a higher grade, which dominoes into a better career that puts her in charge of the senate hearing on the program's financial fate, allow for Al to continue to help Sam.

In the JFK episode, its revealed that originally both JFK and his wife were killed, and Al got to comfort Sam that he had changed that.

Finally, in the series Finale after talking with God, he learns how to leap through time on his own without even jumping into a body. He goes to Al's first wife to let her know that Al is alive, not dead and would be coming home. This changes Al's entire life, and instead of having a string of Ex wives, he and his wife stay married and have a family.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
On the war Mbenga ep, the transport bed thing lights up at the end, when he was packing up. I figure he was saying something along the lines of letting his demons rest now that the Klingon is dead. But then there was a light at the bed thing. I wasn't sure what that was, but since a previous ep had that 'Gorn detected' stinger, I figure the light was something important.

I was afraid for Erica on the finale cuz it'd be like the red shirts in the Aliens s1 ep being happy about their promotions before dying. Erica was happy to go on field work, so she'll get killed. She'd better not! I rewatched that I fly the ship part repeatedly after seeing that ep and I don't want another Firefly Wash thing on my hands, dang it!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
On the war Mbenga ep, the transport bed thing lights up at the end, when he was packing up. I figure he was saying something along the lines of letting his demons rest now that the Klingon is dead. But then there was a light at the bed thing. I wasn't sure what that was, but since a previous ep had that 'Gorn detected' stinger, I figure the light was something important.

I was afraid for Erica on the finale cuz it'd be like the red shirts in the Aliens s1 ep being happy about their promotions before dying. Erica was happy to go on field work, so she'll get killed. She'd better not! I rewatched that I fly the ship part repeatedly after seeing that ep and I don't want another Firefly Wash thing on my hands, dang it!

Yeah, I am not too sure what the bed malfunction was about either. Is it a sign of Gorn eggs inside the chair? Is it there to show that it will malfunction at a critical point later on?

Well, we will see what happens to them. With the Writer and actors guilds on strike, we are not going to get a continuation anytime soon. For you, this will be your best of Both Worlds(Star Trek TNG episode, don't google it), where you have to wait an extremely long time to see a star trek cliff hanger resolved.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I thought the bed thing was specifically an illustration of what he was talking about in his log entry voiceover that was over top of that entire sequence, and an analogy for himself - you think things are fixed, but there's still something broken down deep that can still come up. It's not meant to be something taken on surface value, just as a metaphorical illustration.

Of the crew members taken by the Gorn, M'Benga's the only one we know will make it out for sure, as he is in TOS. Hopefully they'll resist the urge to use it as a way to write Ortega out and slip in Sulu to continue and try to complete the TOS bridge crew. I have a feeling though La'an won't make it, and that she'll sacrifice herself getting everyone out, to bring her character arc with the Gorn full circle.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sulu wasn't on the bridge crew until after the second pilot though. I hope that we get Ortega and La'an back next season. I know Boihmler said she was a war hero, but maybe he wasn't talking about the Klingon war, but the upcoming Gorn war?

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I will be shocked and disheartened if anyone we care about is killed by the Gorn, doubly so La'an. I don't think "tough because she has trauma" is a very good character background to begin with, and losing her to making it her defining arc would be a complete waste.

On the war Mbenga ep, the transport bed thing lights up at the end, when he was packing up.
Just a biobed, not a transporter anything.

I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. Like Defafox said, they're just being literary, it's just imagery for Mbenga's story. The ominously flickering error is things not being as resolved as we all hope they are.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Sulu wasn't on the bridge crew until after the second pilot though. I hope that we get Ortega and La'an back next season. I know Boihmler said she was a war hero, but maybe he wasn't talking about the Klingon war, but the upcoming Gorn war?
Boo! Hiss! Don't you dare take Ortega's away from me! Kidding, hehe

On the biobed, ah ok. With all the references I'm missing, I figure the malfunction whatever was something else flying over my head. I really thought it was Alvarado. Back from the dead. In a bed. Haha

Kup

Citizen
Yup, He mentions her name, Carrol. She is Dr. Carrol Marcus, and they will name their son David. Something will happen and Carrol will ask Kirk to stay away and let her raise the child alone, as Kirk mentions in TWOK. David shows up again in the third Star Trek film, the Search for Spock. No idea if Carrol's father is an admiral in the Prime timeline, but he was in the Kelvin universe. Maybe her father dies in service and that triggers her to ask Kirk to choose between Star Fleet and them.
David was also in TWoK with Carrol.

We know that Alexander Marcus is in the Prime Timeline since (and I forget where/how I came to realize this), he recruited Pike to Starfeleet before the timeline split.

Edit: I guess I should clarify too that you're right, we don't know what Marcus's final rank was, nor if he was in S31 in the Prime Timeline or if that was a change due to the Narada. Would be curious to know.

Of the crew members taken by the Gorn, M'Benga's the only one we know will make it out for sure, as he is in TOS.
Sam Kirk too, since we see his body (played by Shatner) in a ToS episode (Obsession maybe?).

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
David was also in TWoK with Carrol.

We know that Alexander Marcus is in the Prime Timeline since (and I forget where/how I came to realize this), he recruited Pike to Starfeleet before the timeline split.

Edit: I guess I should clarify too that you're right, we don't know what Marcus's final rank was, nor if he was in S31 in the Prime Timeline or if that was a change due to the Narada. Would be curious to know.

Sam Kirk too, since we see his body (played by Shatner) in a ToS episode (Obsession maybe?).
Yeah, Sam has his fate sealed too. He gets killed on their colony by these alien creatures along with his wife. Their child survives though.

Axaday

Citizen
It would be fanwanky and unfortunately so if they gradually brought everyone from TOS in and then pulled Pike and said "Voila!"

What did we see in "Quality of Mercy"? Pike had stayed in command and kept all of his same crew except La'an (who had already left) and Una (who was already inevitably taking an exit). The most direct reason is that it is a TV show and these people work there, but there is meaningful story material there too. Kirk should have some latitude in choosing his crew. I really hope they don't just plunk Kirk in and say that Pike picked everyone for him and he just lived with it.

I don't know what is actually going on in Season 2 with Kirk being in a lot of episodes. Maybe they've found a way around my concern. But I would appreciate it if some of Bones, Sulu, and Ensign Chekhov were brought from the Farragut by Kirk because he liked working with them. We "know" that Chekhov was on the ship before he was on the bridge.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
But I would appreciate it if some of Bones, Sulu, and Ensign Chekhov were brought from the Farragut by Kirk because he liked working with them. We "know" that Chekhov was on the ship before he was on the bridge.
Memory Alpha thinks Chekov was assigned to the Enterprise fresh out of the Academy sometime during the first season. Assuming for the sake of argument that their assumptions are valid and won't be retconned (both of which are shaky TBH but I've got to base my speculation on something), I think he's actually a really strong candidate for this. He serves on the Farragut as their pet cadet like first-season Tilly and Uhura, makes a good impression on Kirk, and then Kirk gets assigned to captain the Enterprise and sends a space email to the Academy saying "hey when this guy graduates can I have him? kthx"

Of course, we probably won't actually see how Chekov ends up on the Enterprise no matter how and when they decide he's getting there, unless their decision on "when" is "when he was 17 like in the Kelvinverse."

(I think it's worth mentioning also that, as far as I'm aware, we don't know Scotty's joining the Enterprise crew already--maybe at the end of 3x01 someone tells him the shuttle is here to pick him up, and he takes one more wistful look around Engineering and promises he'll come back someday. So for now he's provisionally also on the list of potential Kirk picks.)

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Honestly, I've been assuming he's just around as a cameo like I thought Kirk was before Kirk became a weirdly present character. Never really considered him joining the crew....

Axaday

Citizen
I would like them to nail home what is implicit in canon. Chekhov was VERY promising. He shot up the ranks after that 5 year mission. Circumstances stymied him until Kirk's retirement, but he was really going places. So it would make sense for Kirk to be sponsoring him.

Axaday

Citizen
After Season 1 Finale irritated me by relegating our hero to someone who would wreck the galaxy if he didn't die in order to glorify the hero of another show, Season 2 Premiere hit with a bunch a strange new character decisions in a story that felt uselessly big. I was feeling pretty disappointed. Ad Astra was pretty good, though, and then Tomorrows, which I was pretty skeptical about, was actually really good. It worked on every level. Not really a big idea episode, but got to that by the end. I have always regarded La'an's history as being pointless, but it made itself something today. And the twists and turns involving Pelia were similarly neat. I strain to connect this James Kirk to the one I already knew, but I liked watching this character.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I will die screaming about the second disruptor from the grassy knoll and I think the need to protect the arbitrary timeline is exactly as much an issue with Tomorrows as it is with Quality of Mercy, but at least it's thematically meaningful this time.

After Season 1 Finale irritated me by relegating our hero to someone who would wreck the galaxy if he didn't die in order to glorify the hero of another show, Season 2 Premiere hit with a bunch a strange new character decisions in a story that felt uselessly big.
The version of the episode where they just stole a shuttle instead makes infinitely more sense to me, and yet I think the whole point of the episode was to start off the season with a big, exciting adventure of "steal the Enterprise" proportions. Really weird choices made there.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After Season 1 Finale irritated me by relegating our hero to someone who would wreck the galaxy if he didn't die in order to glorify the hero of another show, Season 2 Premiere hit with a bunch a strange new character decisions in a story that felt uselessly big. I was feeling pretty disappointed. Ad Astra was pretty good, though, and then Tomorrows, which I was pretty skeptical about, was actually really good. It worked on every level. Not really a big idea episode, but got to that by the end. I have always regarded La'an's history as being pointless, but it made itself something today. And the twists and turns involving Pelia were similarly neat. I strain to connect this James Kirk to the one I already knew, but I liked watching this character.

Pike doesn't die. He honestly spends very little time in his debilitated state thanks to Spock, yet again, stealing the Enterprise.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah but they *really* want to play it as an equivalent fate. I think that two points in the favor of the showrunners here are that 1) his being removed from the life he knows and everyone he cares about is pretty similar to him dying as far as the world at large is concerned, and 2) the question of the philosophical value of his long and happy afterlife in a dream world apart from everyone he knows aside, he just doesn't know that that's going to happen, he has fully accepted his fate at the point at which he's rescued from it.

Top Bottom