Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Axaday

Citizen
I'm confused about this assertion that Eridani is a star. Is it not a constellation?

I am willing to say what you want, within reason. I went back to the episode in question to see what they said and it is complicated. In the cold open, Nurse Chapel says they are on their way to "The Vulcan system" to "survey the moon of Kirkov on the far side of the sector". It isn't clear to me whether Kirkov is on the far side of the sector from the Vulcan system or whether Kirkov AND the Vulcan system are on the far side of the sector from where they were on her last log entry. Same mentions Eridani B in backchat a few minutes later. I checked the flyby and they don't say anything. I'm not sure where else to look and it is time to go to work.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Yes, we should be saying 40 Eridani but we're not going to. And it's probably best to just say "the Vulcan star system" anyway as this is a triple star.

Edit: I swear I remember the nomenclature being more obtuse than it is. 40 Eridani is the whole triple system.
Vulcan's primary is specifically 40 Eridani A (as opposed to 40 Eridani B and C).

So Kirkov seems to be around Eridani B, making it fairly close to Vulcan but still remote enough that nobody bothers going there.

Axaday

Citizen
So Kirkov seems to be around Eridani B, making it fairly close to Vulcan but still remote enough that nobody bothers going there.

400 AU. A tiny fraction of a light year. It is about 8 times as far as Pluto is from us. If checking out a new anomaly there isn't worth a trip, you don't need a starship at all.

These issues are also where "Her 5 Year Mission" always breaks down under scrutiny. 40 Eridani is really close to Earth. Pike and Kirk's 5-year missions spend an awful lot of time in really, really known space, subtracting greatly from the notion that they are really going very far from home at all. What is "5 Year" about a mission that can run errands around Earth and Vulcan? What happens when the 5 years are up?

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Shit, it is. That means Uhura's line about the communications was bullshit, her one light year range might as well have been 12 parsecs. I'm back to, never mind, don't use real star systems, guys, never worth it, not even once.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I saw an article today that said that Season 3 of SNW was ready to shoot prior to the actors going on strike. So apperently they have the scripts, or enough of them to start Season 3, just not the actors.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I saw an article today that said that Season 3 of SNW was ready to shoot prior to the actors going on strike. So apperently they have the scripts, or enough of them to start Season 3, just not the actors.
in theory, yes, but isn't it the case that they typically want the writers on-hand during the shoot so that they can write updates as the season goes along, and they keep everything as coherent as possible?

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I am willing to say what you want, within reason.
Sorry if I sounded like I was being pedantic (certainly I have that tendency). In this instance, I was truly confused what the problem was, since (not remembering specifically what the show asserted) I was imagining someone traveliing from a planet circling one star within the constellation to a planet circling an entirely different star within the constellation. In such an instance, the apparent visible proximity to us on Earth might belie many hundreds, if not thousands, of light years of distance between the actual stars.

Now that I'm clearer on the details, you can safely ignore me on this topic, and carry on.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, it's just so ubiquitous in Trek to have one exotic sounding word as the name of the system, which sometimes is and sometimes isn't the most important inhabited planet in the system or its (usually single) star. Very much to a fault, since apparently Romulus and Remus are planets orbiting the binary stars Romulus and Romulus B. Even the real Alpha Ceti gets reversed to Ceti Alpha, which sounds way more like a place and less like a catalogue designation (and luckily, unlike Romulus, it comes with enumerated planets.) Either way, we were just falling into that general habit there.

Enterprise canonized it, but it was an established bit of fanon dating back to the 60s.

As far as I can tell it was James Blish's idea, and Roddenberry himself supported it.
It's cute but it's a bad idea, just another piece of lore to contradict. No one in the 23rd century is going to refer to the Vulcan home system by its 20th c. catalogue designation, so if you want to make the connection, you have to force it, and eventually either the scientific understanding of one of these systems is going to expand (say, rule out the possibility of an exoplanet in a system Trek says is inhabited) or the writers are going to simply contradict something we already know (as in this episode.)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
in theory, yes, but isn't it the case that they typically want the writers on-hand during the shoot so that they can write updates as the season goes along, and they keep everything as coherent as possible?
Well, hopefully the guilds can get what they need so everyone can go back to making some great shows and a lot of crappy ones. :)

Axaday

Citizen
Sorry if I sounded like I was being pedantic (certainly I have that tendency). In this instance, I was truly confused what the problem was, since (not remembering specifically what the show asserted) I was imagining someone traveliing from a planet circling one star within the constellation to a planet circling an entirely different star within the constellation. In such an instance, the apparent visible proximity to us on Earth might belie many hundreds, if not thousands, of light years of distance between the actual stars.

Now that I'm clearer on the details, you can safely ignore me on this topic, and carry on.
Kirk took the Enterprise to Orion's Belt once.

MrBlud

Citizen
It is! Very Sealab 2021 and not as inane as the first one which I found a bit whiny what with the “wahhh every one is too sensitive” conceit.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, this one is at least less an "ugh" than the first one, and also still feels really surprisingly like fan humor and unlike something official. Still one very drawn out gag I didn't think was funny, but without the extra stank. And "It's funny, because he usually has legs" was kinda funny, NGL.

I notice the Star Trek identity stinger thing still uses the TAS Connie, but the establishing shot of the ship is a TAS'd SNW Enterprise this time. When "Those Old Scientists" used the SNW Enterprise design in animation, they gave it a white hull, sort of pretending it was the same ship, but here they opted to make the SNW Enterprise silver-grey instead, really hammering in the difference. So that was interesting.

Overall it's giving me vibes of when the Attack on Titan anime did a chibi parody of itself, probably just in the way that it's accepting zero conceits of the source material. It is fun seeing the SNW crew in TAS style and voiced by themselves, though.

Top Bottom