Star Trek: Picard

Axaday

Citizen
Yeah, I don’t get it. Option A wasn’t working. Option B turned out to be a bad idea but there only seemed to be the two Options short of surrender.
And it just goes against everything they've been showing us with these 2 men. They've gotten out of a lot of tight spots together, but this time Riker is just "We're doomed and it's your fault, so you are no longer the person I would follow into anything or the man I respect most in the universe"

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
And it just goes against everything they've been showing us with these 2 men. They've gotten out of a lot of tight spots together, but this time Riker is just "We're doomed and it's your fault, so you are no longer the person I would follow into anything or the man I respect most in the universe"
Perhaps Riker blamed Picard for not remembering that the enemy was using this weapon just minutes before he told them to
turn around and fight
?

Axaday

Citizen
Probably yeah.

Everybody seemed super cool with it. Giving Robocard his rank back and everything. Super weird considering the Federation was blatantly racist against Synths five seconds ago *and* the last time Picard was (partially) synthetic he killed 11,000 people.
I am surprised that the information is out there because it means that anyone who can convince AI Song to build one can become immortal. That is attractive to a lot of people. Some will want to convince him with money. Others with threats. He should be the richest man in the Federation now.

Axaday

Citizen
Perhaps Riker blamed Picard for not remembering that the enemy was using this weapon just minutes before he told them to
turn around and fight
?
Yeah, he did.

But the immense respect he has for this man that we always hear about is apparently only good as long as he never makes a mistake.

Cybersnark

Citizen
The worst part of the Picard/Riker argument was the utter unprofessionalism of having that argument in public. They're both supposed to be smarter than that.

Also, T'Veen's observation about the nebula being an "anomaly" is weird; we've seen at least two nebular life-forms on screen (in TOS and Voyager).

I'm guessing that the nebula will turn out to be self-aware and that next episode they'll end up making contact with the consciousness at the bottom of the gravity well (and if those electrical impulses are part of the life-form's neural network, that might handily let them figure out a way to turn the tables on Vadic, by turning the nebula itself into a sensor [by looking for any "foreign objects" not native to the nebula's matrix]).

Ultimately I'm so tired of these shows' main source of conflict stemming from people that can't communicate properly. It's a bit sad/ironic considering communication has been sort of fundamental to Star Trek.
As Christopher Bennett posted over on another forum:

In thinking about these contrived conflicts between Picard & Beverly and Picard & Riker, I’m thinking about the storytelling ethos of TNG. People often criticize it for having “no conflict,” but my understanding is that what Roddenberry wanted was no petty conflict, no conflict that arose from the characters being unkind or dysfunctional or having foolish misunderstandings, the usual cheats and shortcuts that writers use to manufacture artificial conflicts that could be easily avoided. Some writers said that rule could actually benefit their work because it challenged them to avoid the usual lazy writing tricks and work harder to come up with meaningful reasons that well-adjusted people who liked and trusted each other would come into conflict over sincere differences in their goals or priorities, or different takes on a complicated dilemma that had no easy answer.

What I see here is the kind of exaggerated, manufactured conflict that TNG tried to avoid, conflict that comes from the characters being too emotional and hardline, overreacting and making poor choices, failing to listen to each other or trust each other. It’s just falling back on the usual tricks.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
That feels like a contrived defense of Roddenberry in the usual way, because some people always want him to have been right about everything all along. The reality is that TNG started with zero interpersonal conflict on the crew and gradually got better as it grew its beard. But that still means that the version of these characters we're familiar with were envisioned as consummate professionals. Meanwhile we know that present-day prestige television (or really, last decade's trend in prestige television that people were gradually getting tired of) really wants those hard conflicts among the main cast. But no matter what the context, he's right that these characters and these manufactured conflicts are alien to one another and it's jarring.

Count your blessings, folks. If I was in charge of this show, the thing/person/etc. stolen from Daystrom would turn out to be Peanut Hamper.
Do you think Badgey ends up in there too, or is he involved in breaking her out? Honestly, the team-up between them wouldn't be that much different in practice from Lore / Moriarty....

Unrelated to anything, but the reason I came by to read the thread, is there a novel somewhere that explains what happened to the S2 cliffhanger? (Or could they just not get Allison Pill back for some reason?)

Edit: N/m, I'm suddenly realizing that transwarp corridor and unknown enemy was never intended to be a cliffhanger.

Last edited:

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I am surprised that the information is out there because it means that anyone who can convince AI Song to build one can become immortal. That is attractive to a lot of people. Some will want to convince him with money. Others with threats. He should be the richest man in the Federation now.

I'm still convinced that nobody on the Picard writing teams knows what TNG meant when it referred to androids like Data, Lore, Julianna Tainer, etc.

Also, wasn't there some sideplot in an episode of the last season about needing to get Picard to a doctor... in the 21st century? Is he some kind of artificial, yet still flesh and blood being, or is he the type of being the Soong-type androids clearly were, built out of non-organic materials? I don't think the show even ******* knows.

I think think the entire first and second seasons of Picard are best simply ignored.

As for as duplicating the process, there was a throwaway line in Discovery last season about the process being attempted numerous times after Picard, but the failure rate was rather high and that ultimately discouraged more people from trying it. While Noonien Soong perfected a process of transferring a living consciousness into a positronic brain, whatever process his son developed was clearly second-rate trash science conceived by second-rate hack writers.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Also, wasn't there some sideplot in an episode of the last season about needing to get Picard to a doctor... in the 21st century? Is he some kind of artificial, yet still flesh and blood being, or is he the type of being the Soong-type androids clearly were, built out of non-organic materials? I don't think the show even ******* knows.
Well remember, Dahj and Soji were flesh and blood androids, which was a plot point in S1 because it wasn't supposed to be possible, and it was something that had been developed at the Soong compound planet. What it means is anyone's guess, but Picard is specifically locked out of the superhuman abilities that they had.

Edit: And also getting Picard said doctor broke the defib machine.

MrBlud

Citizen
I put “All Good Things” on as background noise a few days ago and the fact they had Picard throwing an unprofessional tantrum on the bridge of Beverly’s ship only for Beverly to (rightly) read him the riot act over it in private with him (also rightly) apologizing for being out of line is hilarious(?) in retrospect compared to here.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I've been seeing that speculated elsewhere, but if he was swapped out it had to have been after the bar scene because he was able to translate the coordinates using something that would only have been known by the real Riker, given how minor it would have been at this point in time without knowing in advance it would be needed.

Dake

Citizen
Anyone else think that Riker isn't Riker?
This would certainly be the best explanation for the character change. He could've been swapped out by another shape-shifter once back on the Titan. This season is going to be Star Trek: Secret Invasion isn't it?

Kup

Citizen
He got a few details wrong here and there. Sure, the “3” thing could have been off screen. But it was specifically a plot point from Cause and Effect. He got a Rigel planet wrong if I remember right. Then he passes off Deanna as unhappy with him.

It’s not implausible that a Changeling Riker knew a few details from various reports wrong and has gotten lucky so far.

Riker got Picard here. Riker kept the loop going with the portal gun. Why didn’t Riker try something else?

Unless our Riker is safely on Nepenthe…

Cradok

Citizen
Changelings successfully imitated Martok for over a year, Bashir for a month and Lovok under the combined paranoia of the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar for months. All under the escalating cold war between the Dominion and the 'Alpha Quadrant'. Managing to fool one Starfleet admiral who hasn't given a thought to the dominion for thirty years is child's play.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Changelings successfully imitated Martok for over a year, Bashir for a month and Lovok under the combined paranoia of the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar for months. All under the escalating cold war between the Dominion and the 'Alpha Quadrant'. Managing to fool one Starfleet admiral who hasn't given a thought to the dominion for thirty years is child's play.
If a changing fell into a pool of this stuff, would the universe collapse into itself? ;)

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
If a changing fell into a pool of this stuff, would the universe collapse into itself? ;)
Given that the Star Trek universe has survived an event that should not be possible even by its own fast-and-loose interpretation of Berman-era Jet Propulsion Lab notes (to wit, a supernova's blast effects both travelling at multiwarp speeds and gaining energy as it expands), I don't think so. However, you do raise a valid question that even the Relaunch Novels (now relegated to something called the "First Splinter Timeline", and blamed on the events of First Contact) never fully answered....

It has been revealed in audiovisual canon that the preponderance of humanoid life in the Milky Way was due to DNA distributed onto developing worlds between 3-4 billion years prior by an advanced progenitor culture. (Presumably, if the Revolt Against the Thrintun and the resulting mass death of sentient life happened at the same time in the Trek Universe as it did in Larry Niven's Known Space (ref. TAS' "The Slaver Weapon"), these worlds were the recipients of extremely good timing.)

In the DS9 Relaunch Novels, while Odo undertakes efforts to reform the Dominion using particularly flexible-in-their-thinking Vorta and Jem'Hadar, the other Founders attempt to search for their progenitor. When they discover a possible candidate dead from lethal radiation, the Great Link breaks apart and scatters, leaving Odo (who goes back to the Alpha Quadrant in 2383), Laas, and 2 others of the hundred changeling youths that had been sent out decades earlier in charge of the Dominion.

Anyway, the similar abilities of the Delta Quadrant's Silver Blood might well interest the Founders, and there may be a link (pun not intended) in common which could point to a similar galactic ancestry akin to that of the "solids". As both of these came out of TNG spinoffs, it's unlikely that Old Man Picard (the show, that is, such is what I call it) will pay much attention to such notions, but what's fandom for if not to spin such ideas?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I liked the episode and loved the reveal of people behind it all. Riker's comments on the bridge to Picard though, wow. Way out of character.

Axaday

Citizen
There is a rehash going on here.
Benjamin Sisko was at Wolf 359 and carried a grudge against Picard for it. Anger at Picard for what Locutus did is misplaced, but certainly understandable. Anger at Riker because of Wolf 359 is nonsense. Riker led the victory against that incursion and saved Earth and probably the Federation. And when the Borg came back a few years later, Picard showed up and cleaned their clocks, by turning the Borg's Locutus advantage against them. I can totally see why looking Picard in the face would be unpleasant if you were at Wolf 359, but also if you were at Wolf 359 you have to feel like the way these guys operate when not assimilated is really useful

Last edited:

Internet Jesus

Poison Love
Citizen
Rolled my eyes at Wolf 359 reference (and the f-bomb) but overall a great episode.

Shaw's growing on me.

The Riker-Picard conflict lovingly swept under the rug as Riker being a bit emotionally compromised because of problems was fine, and they patched things up nicely.

I didn't expect the flashback framing story to lead into Jack not wanting anything to do with Picard, but it neatly ties things in a little bow.

Riker's little trick with the tractor beam, though. *chef's kiss*

I feel they kinda telegraphed the Changeling Saboteur being LaForge a bit thick by playing the Commander Seven bit at the preview, but eh, it works.

Top Bottom