Star Trek: Picard

Axaday

Citizen
Then again, the rehash
Might be a beautiful picture of something interesting. Why WOULD Sisko be an isolated incident? Moments like these may have been peppered throughout the last 30 years of Picard's life, intensifying the isolation that he often feels.

Axaday

Citizen
I guess that the Changeling being on board before Picard might imply that a whole lot of ships have been infiltrated and it was just dumb luck that one ended up on this side quest.

We saw stills of Sidney with Geordi, but were they from the show? Is she dead?

MrBlud

Citizen
I guess that the Changeling being on board before Picard might imply that a whole lot of ships have been infiltrated and it was just dumb luck that one ended up on this side quest.

We saw stills of Sidney with Geordi, but were they from the show? Is she dead?

She was on the bridge the whole time so no. The Changeling just took the form opportunistically

Overall I really enjoyed the episode but

Locutus has really been mined out for drama. I really wish they had used another call back to something bad Picard was responsible for.

The Changeling was really stupid. You’re supposed to be a master infiltrator, you know they’re on to you, and Seven lobs you a complete softball question about her name and you whiff it

So Vadic isn’t the big bad but rather a lackey. That’s some new info

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I was actually expecting that they'd catch the changeling out by asking about the nickname she had from crashing the shuttle, which got brought up on the bridge way back in the first episode, when I saw who it was pretending to be.

Axaday

Citizen
The cadet who asked if Janeway gave Picard any advice about the Hirogen didn't read the logs carefully. If they beat the Hirogen with a trap set by Lt. Commander Worf, then they encountered the Hirogen a couple years before Janeway did.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Yeah, I thought the timeline didn't line up, but Worf was stationed on the Enterprise as of Nemesis (after Voyager's return), so it is technically feasible.

The one cadet's question of how the Hirogen got to the Alpha Quadrant is a good one, though!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even if the rest of the season is horrible, these first few episodes have already made this season the best season of Picard. Jack, Shaw, and Sidney are great new additions to the show, and I hope that we see more of them in the upcoming episodes. Heck, I would love to see a Titan show at this point. Let us have Captain Shaw, Commander Seven, Ensign LaForge, and the rest of the crew going on adventures like they do in Strange New Worlds.

As for this episode:

Okay, changlings can be anything, and I hate that didn't get brought up. Cups, blankets, furniture, but that didn't get brought up. In fact in DS9 Sisko and Odo found the way to use a phaser to harmlessly sweep the room. Yet this wasn't used. Also, at the end, why wasn't Riker flying the ship? Didn't TNG establish him as one of the best pilots? Or was that just for shutlecraft?

Those nitpicks out of the way, I loved this episode!

Shaw and Seven were great together, and I loved how they worked together at the end. Shaw and Picard in the holodeck were great too. Him being at Wolf 359 makes sense as it explains his hatred for the XBs like Seven and Picard, especially for Picard. The line about Locutus being so deadly that he was given a name, while inaccurate, was great! I loved the grease monkey origin for him too. His look after Seven explains that Laforge calls her Seven out of respect was great, and showed Shaw melting a bit.

Riker and Picard in the ready room was great. We see why Riker was like that last episode and how he is not doing mentally well at all after losing his son. I loved that Riker wouldn't let Picard apologize as Riker knew he was the one out of line. Perfect answer to the WTF moment from the last episode.

Once I saw Beverly measuring the "contractions", I knew that she would be the one to get them out of this, and I was not disappointed at all. I love how they have to talk Will into trying it, and that Will thinks of a way to make it even better. It felt that the old dynamic was back! That dream team feeling from TNG was back!

The ten forward scene with just Picard and Jack talking was great. I even liked how they addressed the separate power source issue in a believable way. Star fleet would certainly make a safe space for their crews to come and die in as peacefully as possible. I loved that Jack asked about him being named after His mom's first husband, and Picard speaking up admitting that Jack was his best friend and he would have named him the same. I bet his middle name would have been Robert though. :) The shuttle story about him and Jack was great, but wasn't Jack and Beverly married by that point? If so, I have some serious questions about their relationship. Memory Alpha has some confusing dates. Like saying that Picard had been aboard the Star Gazer for 9 years before Beverly even entered Star Fleet Academy. How much older were Jack and Picard?

The flashback scene tying up why Jack never reached out to him was great! I wonder if that was us seeing it, or Picard piecing it together finally?

The wave riding scene was epic! I loved the whole thing from the navigating the asteroids, to Asteroid throw, to Farpoint hatchlings at the end, it was all just perfect!

I loved the First Contact throwback with Jack and his visions after washing his face. And the new big bad is crazy! The captain cutting off her hand to communicate is crazy! I can't wait to see where this goes.

Kup

Citizen
So with this episode, have all of the…

End credit scenes been explored except for Pop Goes the Weasel? We haven’t seen the fleet museum but we know Geordi is there. DNA, holodeck, The Constance, it’s all been shown.

A “wouldn’t it be cool” based on that…

If we finally get LaForge, the museum, and Lore in episode 5, then maybe episode 6 onward we could have a new set of credits with additional teases. Sort of like how a Marvel end credit scenes will change as the plot gets revealed.
[/spoilers]

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I thought the timeline didn't line up, but Worf was stationed on the Enterprise as of Nemesis (after Voyager's return), so it is technically feasible.

The one cadet's question of how the Hirogen got to the Alpha Quadrant is a good one, though!
Was Worf stationed on the enterprise? I thought that he was just there for the Wedding. I haven't watched it in a while though, so I maybe I am misremembering it

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Then again, the rehash
Might be a beautiful picture of something interesting. Why WOULD Sisko be an isolated incident? Moments like these may have been peppered throughout the last 30 years of Picard's life, intensifying the isolation that he often feels.
He did just kind of sit there and endure it. Before walking off and not wanting to be around anyone. I wish that once he turned the tables on them, and tell them what he experienced, but Picard wouldn't do that.

Still my favorite episode of TNG was Family when he finally breaks down after fighting in the mud with his brother. Forget Inner light, Family is the best TNG episode.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Was Worf stationed on the enterprise? I thought that he was just there for the Wedding. I haven't watched it in a while though, so I maybe I am misremembering it
It's been a long time since I've seen it, too. Honestly, I don't think the movie bothered with an explanation and he was just....there.

Axaday

Citizen

I was mistaken. I thought Worf became a full Commander on Deep Space Nine, but he didn't.

Axaday

Citizen
Okay, changlings can be anything, and I hate that didn't get brought up. Cups, blankets, furniture, but that didn't get brought up. In fact in DS9 Sisko and Odo found the way to use a phaser to harmlessly sweep the room. Yet this wasn't used.

I am irritated that the
Changelings look different in gel state
. Why do they want to change stuff like that?

The ten forward scene with just Picard and Jack talking was great. I even liked how they addressed the separate power source issue in a believable way. Star fleet would certainly make a safe space for their crews to come and die in as peacefully as possible. I loved that Jack asked about him being named after His mom's first husband, and Picard speaking up admitting that Jack was his best friend and he would have named him the same. I bet his middle name would have been Robert though. :) The shuttle story about him and Jack was great, but wasn't Jack and Beverly married by that point? If so, I have some serious questions about their relationship. Memory Alpha has some confusing dates. Like saying that Picard had been aboard the Star Gazer for 9 years before Beverly even entered Star Fleet Academy. How much older were Jack and Picard?

I won't bother with esoteric dates on the wiki, but Picard was on the Stargazer as captain for a long time. If Crusher was his Academy buddy (I didn't recall that) then Wesley was born decades after they left the Academy.

The flashback scene tying up why Jack never reached out to him was great! I wonder if that was us seeing it, or Picard piecing it together finally?
Yeah, I think Picard was realizing that things were the way they are because he said he wanted it that way.

Axaday

Citizen
He did just kind of sit there and endure it. Before walking off and not wanting to be around anyone. I wish that once he turned the tables on them, and tell them what he experienced, but Picard wouldn't do that.

Still my favorite episode of TNG was Family when he finally breaks down after fighting in the mud with his brother. Forget Inner light, Family is the best TNG episode.
When I posted before I was going on information that people posted places. I didn't see the episode until this morning. It's sort of a bad habit, but my first viewing winds up being like a second. So I was watching Picard and the scene was beautiful. He totally supported my idea that he's had this conversation a lot of times before. He has no memory of meeting Shaw, so
when Shaw says, "Has he told you about how we met?" Picard looks immediately gloomy. He's thinking, "Oh, here it is again."

-=-=-=-

4 episodes in, I really like this season still. Season 1 wasn't bad at this point, but was doing some stuff I was leery of. Season 2 was already bad. So I'm feeling good. The 4 episode opening arc here kinda did all of the things that Star Trek does and did them well.

Last edited:

Cybersnark

Citizen
One minor thing that bugged me was the scene in the conference room where Jean-Luc, Jack, Beverly, and Will all brainstorm the plan to escape. It would've been the perfect opportunity to flesh out the Titan's bridge crew by having them seated around the conference table and actually doing the jobs they were trained for. (You're telling me the Vulcan science officer didn't notice that the bio-electric pulses were coming in a regular pattern at decreasing intervals?)

Both to underline Jean-Luc's flashback comments about the importance of trusting one's crewmates, and because they seem to be around Jack's age (thus giving him a chance to interact and bond with actual peers rather than just family and friends-of-family).

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
It's still Star Trek Picard and it's going to turn around and bite me in the ass, and there were episodes in the previous two seasons that left me with a good feeling too. But after three episodes of hatewatching, this one got me to sit up and take notice. Everything's already been said, but there's some really damn good stuff with all of our principals here (Picard, Riker, Seven, Shaw, and Jack.)
Dr. Crusher even had a good moment winning over Riker, and she felt fully like herself this time around. I still don't buy her motivations in disappearing, which feel like fixfic for the fact that she wasn't around the last two seasons that also makes her the victim of a plot not really her own. But that whole conflict seems to have been resolved last episode, so....

Top Bottom