Star Trek: Picard

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Maybe, yeah. I don't like the trapezoids going down the spine of the torpedo pod, and I think too many things were inherited too directly from the Miranda class.
1686539359101.png
1686539418737.png

The giant Starfleet-branded AAs aren't identical and the lines are a little less obtrusive on the Reliant class, but don't think they need to be there at all, along with those two big exposed plates of greeble next to them. I'm not sure about the scale of the windows in either model - I know the TOS Enterprise and the movie era Grissom assumed too-small decks, but I don't know if that's true of the refit Enterprise and the original Reliant. Either way the Reliants both appear to have four decks in the sloped sections at the front of the angular section of the hull, and the Reliant class should be a much bigger ship, so that seems like a problem.

I do think the bridge bulge and the black detailing behind it is really lovely and also conveys a much more accurate sense of scale. I like all of what's happening back here, if not for those wide strips of greeble on either side. And the black strip makes for a less obvious and annoying callback to the original.

1686539908104.png
1686540049893.png

I very much appreciate that it has a deflector dish now, although I would have switched that and the torpedo pod. It never made sense for the Miranda to have that giant rollbar and module for something the Constitution II had set into a couple of decks of neck. Putting the deflector up there would have given the rollbar a bit more purpose. And I think this ship would be prettier without the cutout at the front of the saucer.

The RCS units the size of runabouts are bonkers. Just way too big and toylike.

I wish the phaser strips were up along the outer edge of the white circle of the saucer instead of that little row of turreted windows, and instead of disrupting the outer row of large, white panels there. But I have to give them a bit of credit for including and paying a lot of attention to the phaser strips. Not a ball turret in sight!

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Tradition at this point, I'd say. Someone obviously thought about that at one point because the Battle Bridge on the D existed, but we never saw that on any other ship in the end. Could also be looked at as a gesture to say "These aren't warships. Trust us! If they were, wouldn't we put the bridge somewhere more protected?"

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
The Honor Harrington books referenced that at one point. Those aren't Trek - totally different series - but there was a throwaway line about not leaving the bridge exposed and vulnerable at the top of the ship.

Cybersnark

Citizen
According to lore (dating from the TOS-era, IIRC), bridge modules are meant to be swappable, so having it in an accessible spot probably makes it easier to remove and replace.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The Honor Harrington books referenced that at one point. Those aren't Trek - totally different series - but there was a throwaway line about not leaving the bridge exposed and vulnerable at the top of the ship.

Which is kind of funny considering most Honorverse ships are unarmored(or lightly armored) on the top and bottom because of their wedges - meaning it was totally an intentional rib at Trek-style ship design.

Axaday

Citizen

I read the first of those. Much as I love Horatio Hornblower and Jack Aubrey, I found it very tedious how much convoluted nonsense they went through to make spaceships just like old sailing ships.

According to lore (dating from the TOS-era, IIRC), bridge modules are meant to be swappable, so having it in an accessible spot probably makes it easier to remove and replace.

I can't think of a really compelling reason for swapping out bridge modules. Certainly not weighed against the hazard of showing your enemy where the captain and most of the senior command staff are.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I recall that being a movie-era thing in the Pocket canon. Don't know if it was ever more official than that, much less earlier than that.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I read the first of those. Much as I love Horatio Hornblower and Jack Aubrey, I found it very tedious how much convoluted nonsense they went through to make spaceships just like old sailing ships.

While the Impeller wedge was clearly made for that reason, there's some stuff it also does much better than other sci-fi in regards to space battles - namely playing fair with Newton, lightspeed lag, as well as engagement at light-hours or light-minutes rather than up close and personal just to name a few things. Same reason I always mention Starship Operators as an overlooked anime that does the same thing, in treating space fights as something of their own rather than banking WW2 fighters.

Trek of course skirts around that with subspace and warp fields, and all its fancy inertia-bypassing tech.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
And by giving distances in dialogue in thousands of kilometers when we can see on screen that they're no more than ten kilometers away at any time.

Even if this was canon, it was a rationalization for another oddity of what we see on screen, namely that bridges among identical classes of ships rarely match because they're re-dressed versions of whatever the "other bridge" they had lying around the lot was.

At least bridges on top is consistent across species. The closest thing to saucer sections are what the Cardassians have, only the Klingons and Romulans usually put their warp nacelles on sticks and pair them with the Bussard collectors they don't directly relate to, almost no one else uses deflector dishes, and the Federation is inconsistent in its own tendency to separate command and engineering into separate hulls like the Klingons do.

I'm sure it'd take a semester of electro-plasma system theory to understand, and since electro-plasma system theory doesn't exist, no one on Earth can 😝

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Oh that is wonderful. = D Sharpest livery since the TOS movies! I know the black is explained as areas of extra ablative armor, but the contrast really makes everything pop. 😁I love how the Sutherland takes even a monster like the Nebula class and reworks it into something classy.
I absolutely love what Star Trek Online did with their 25th century skins for Walker class and the Crossfield class - the Shenzhou class and the Glenn class

I am quite sad they did not get to appear in Star Trek: Picard.

jODrEUj.png

pwSdKKd.png

tdmZTVZ.png

LLPS5Gd.png

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The Bridge is purely there for tradition reasons. Given how often ship systems can be taken over from various locations within the ship(including the ships pleasure rooms... I mean Holodecks) pretty much any space on the ship can be used as a makeshift C&C center.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
The 25th Century skins are pretty, and much better than the originals they're based on, but I hate to say it, that Georgiou class is even hotter

1686624857939.png

On further consideration, I've realized that the bridge-at-the-top idea is actually not as nuts as it sounds in-canon if you ignore how the shows actually work. Deck plating is nothing - if your torpedo managed to crack through the shields and the hull, possibly including ablative armor, whether it goes on to vaporize one deck or ten seems like a roll of the dice.

Of course, within the show, it's always decks four through six that are compromised, the ship is only in real danger if one of the bridge consoles explodes, and the bridge is filled with fallen I-beams and crumbled concrete and is on fire before its own spot of hull is ever breached.

Edit:
The Bridge is purely there for tradition reasons. Given how often ship systems can be taken over from various locations within the ship(including the ships pleasure rooms... I mean Holodecks) pretty much any space on the ship can be used as a makeshift C&C center.
Hmm, the fact that so many ships not named Enterprise had bridge windows until the TOS movie era seems like a plausible origin for that tradition....

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Speaking of STO. I haven't fired it up in awhile. Maybe I should bring the green guy and his ship out of retirement.

Axaday

Citizen
Even if this was canon, it was a rationalization for another oddity of what we see on screen, namely that bridges among identical classes of ships rarely match because they're re-dressed versions of whatever the "other bridge" they had lying around the lot was.

And a totally unnecessary rationalization too. Just like you can tear out a set and turn a Starship bridge into a child's bedroom, you can change a Bridge without installing a new bridge module. I am sure you can even tear out walls to make it bigger. Especially on the newer jobs with the holographic walls.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
And every ship later than the Constitution II has auxiliary rooms around the bridge in the bridge bulge that could be cut into. And the B set bridge is usually smaller than the A set bridge, not larger.

Unrelated, but on the subject of sensible starship design, I'm realizing I like this cutaway of the Enterprise from Star Trek: Beyond. Even with the brewery, the guts make more sense than any cutaway of the Prime canon. The Bussard collectors are reimagined as something actually having to do with the warp nacelles, and the warp core and deflector guts are scaled to fit the ship.

1686682136781.png

Axaday

Citizen
I am very likely the last to know, but I was just thinking while doing my work at work and something occurred to me.

Captain Shaw's death read to me as a pretty standard, "No, I'm going to be a hero and cover your escape" thing and it was that. But it was also a neat callback. At Wolf 359 he got on a shuttle and other people didn't and he's always felt survivor guilt. So what he was saying this time was actually, "This time someone else is getting on the shuttle"

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Nice! That's a really neat connection! Really brings it full circle. Neat.

Here's a showerthought I never thought about at a convenient time to express it:

seven that's not a real gun.png

Seven handing over her phaser when she's caught with one to the back of her head.

Except um, Seven, theirs isn't a real phaser, though, unless it was just lying on the turbolift floor while you were in there....

Top Bottom