Star Trek: Picard

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I dunno, it's the future and there's lots of gay people. I was more confused by the way people were fawning over Soji in S1, which I admit did clearly establish that it was a strange and surprising thing that synths could be completely human-like. You know, we have perfectly lifelike human holograms with personalities, we can teleport matter, we can shoot you with a beam that turns you into a Klingon, we know about shape-shifting goo people from the opposite end of the galaxy who can appear as any species they like, but human-looking robots? Pure science fiction!

I think Picard becoming a synth and saving the universe from the other synths was front page news. That's why Raffi's entire S3 story makes no sense to me. And to Jack it's just a fact about Picard that he forgets for a second one time. It's a brief moment, I don't think it would have been any more or less if he was talking to a very convincing hologram and just got deep enough into the conversation not to think about it. But for some reason people aren't amazed and bemused by the ethereal creation that Picard is the way they were with Soji. While it's clearly an inconsistency, I'd chalk it up to Soji being much prettier.

Lobjob

Citizen
He was taken bodily into the Nexus and returned after nearly a hundred years. I'd imagine scientists would want to take a close look at his tissues (Picard's too, for similar reasons, but there's a whole host of weird things going on with Jean-Luc's carcass, so they'd probably want Kirk's remains as a "control").

Also, Section 31 is unethical and nefarious by design. They'd have no problems storing "valuable" corpses just because.

I'm still waiting for the starfleet vs section 31 conflict. At what point is it just too much?

Axaday

Citizen
I guess what I said wasn't really what I meant because I came up with a phrase that I loved at the last second. What I would expect on Jack's front burner isn't the quality of the robot. If my Dad got replaced by a robot, it would be really hard for me to get so stuck in a conversation that I forgot that my Dad got replaced by a robot. I would never not be looking at him and not thinking about how this was the robot of my Dad.

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I guess what I said wasn't really what I meant because I came up with a phrase that I loved at the last second. What I would expect on Jack's front burner isn't the quality of the robot. If my Dad got replaced by a robot, it would be really hard for me to get so stuck in a conversation that I forgot that my Dad got replaced by a robot. I would never not be looking at him and thinking about how this was the robot of my Dad.
Built different I guess. In the world of Trek it just doesn't seem like that weird of a thing for me. Like even if he genuinely thought of Picard as something other than the other Picard he didn't know, which is, again, already a huge assumption. I imagine kids interact with holographic Leah Brahmses in school. They'd know it's not Leah Brahms, but there's a suspension of disbelief there if you're having a conversation.

Axaday

Citizen
You think because Geordi did, everyone is going to. I imagine the holosuites at school have parental controls.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Regular reminder that Will Riker was fully cloned by Transporter once, and the one we consider the original is only because he's the one we'd seen before the other Will got rescued.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
You think because Geordi did, everyone is going to. I imagine the holosuites at school have parental controls.
No, I mean instead of a history video. Like those things at the old west history museums where people reenact Mark Twain or whatever.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
What? Using an element from the now-defunct novel canon? Can't have that! ;)
I only noticed just now that between seasons 2 and 3, every one of the original 13 Luna-class starships mentioned in the pre-Kurtzman novels has been made canonical! Complete with the registries originally published in the backmatter of Sword of Damocles!

God I hope the inclusion of the Reliant class means we never see another Miranda class ship used to fill in a fleet in a battle. I feel bad for the one that got called in in First Contact to fight the Borg cube.

(Then again, at this point, it's tradition, and I should actually be hoping to see one in the background in Disco S5.)
I loved seeing the STO Gagarin, Reliant, Sutherland, Ross, and Pathfinder supersede the Shepard, Miranda, Nebula, Galaxy, and Intrepid, even if the latter two are a bit too soon in 2401. Even the Walker-class now has a canonical design successor, the Lancelot-class, though it is named differently from STO's Georgiou-class and Shenzhou-class.

I just wish the Excelsior-II and Constitution-III had their own nouns. Perhaps Styles-class for the former and Kirk-class or Garrett-class for the latter.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, I hadn't gone birdwatching for all of the STO ships that made it into Picard, but that's really nice. Not only are they (IMO) really some of the nicest ship designs out there, but they fill a much needed hole that Picard S1 drew a lot of focus to. I feel like inventing new 25th C. starships has to be STO's biggest selling point, something we haven't been getting anywhere else, and something that the great majority of Trek fans are always going to be up for, so it's nice that they could finally just bring it together.

I also like that the Pathfinder kept the black paneling.

As for the Excelsior-II, we don't have a Sulu Class yet! (Though those on-the-nose references can pile up at times.)

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Right. So let's go.
I'm not sure how much of the blame I put on Section 31 as opposed to Starfleet as a whole. They're just as easily puppeted by a few changelings or Zhat Vash. It's an organization of Shaws just following orders. Time to dust off the old flag IMO

Maquis_insignia.png

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I don't know Jein, but that seems like a neat tribute. Ship itself is pretty cool too, a lot of the Sovereign but with notes of the Excelsior and NX rubbed in, which makes me think Eaves really dipped into his own favorite lines. The streeeeetched out bridge bump makes it look like it's under constant motion blur and gives it a fast vibe. The underslung impulse engines are a really unique touch.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Yeah, I hadn't gone birdwatching for all of the STO ships that made it into Picard, but that's really nice. Not only are they (IMO) really some of the nicest ship designs out there, but they fill a much needed hole that Picard S1 drew a lot of focus to. I feel like inventing new 25th C. starships has to be STO's biggest selling point, something we haven't been getting anywhere else, and something that the great majority of Trek fans are always going to be up for, so it's nice that they could finally just bring it together.

I also like that the Pathfinder kept the black paneling.
I find the black paneling one of the better aspects of STO design migrating into canon!
IQhuU01.png

0HE20AL.png

HdLxQLT.png

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Oh that is wonderful. = D Sharpest livery since the TOS movies! I know the black is explained as areas of extra ablative armor, but the contrast really makes everything pop. 😁I love how the Sutherland takes even a monster like the Nebula class and reworks it into something classy.

wentwood

Citizen
I was wondering if the 1701 G could be around for 17 more years for a team up with The USS Orville -

Or if the 1701-H could be active by then.

Granted the crew would be 18 years older and command a 2nd Enterprise.

Kirk and Picard each had 2 so 7 might do the same unless Rafi takes over as Captain before then.

Top Bottom