Star Trek: Picard

Glitch

Citizen
I've been saying that about the series since season 1.
That said I've been saying that about late sequels featuring aging actors this past decade, Indiana Jones 5 is taking the cake.

MrBlud

Citizen
I’m enjoying it as a nostalgia trip. The reviews are really good but I feel like if this was shot for shot but without the TNG actors in the roles it wouldn’t be as critically acclaimed (or as enjoyable)

Ep 2 spoilers

Yeah, the son reveal is cliched as all hell. I was really hoping it was something bizarre and unique like Beverly found one of the Shinzon embryos and raised it as a son or something but nope! Let’s just repeat a Wrath of Khan storybeat verbatim.

Given Worf showed up it’s almost guaranteed that Raffi is really on to something and the way she’s being written (2-for-2 on mysterious conspiracies) she’s kinda being unfairly shit on but also it’s doing a bad job of showing that she’s usually wrong to justify her family’s exasperation.

Im interested and the performances are nice so I’m going to keep watching but even if this somehow sticks the landing “All Good Things” is in no danger of being overshadowed as *the* finale.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Worf kicked some serious @rse (although I suspect it was deliberately blurred and/or out-of-shot due to Michael Dorn's age?). Now THAT'S what a bat'leth is for and not just slowly whirling and clanging around in slow motion like in the original shows.

I wonder if Worf was exercising all of his negativity towards Quark in that scene? ;)

I also liked how they FINALLY made a ferengi appear scary, as an actual gangster (complete with criminal tattoos, etc).

Axaday

Citizen
I never looked up who Amanda Plummer was until she giggled near the end. That, my friends, is Rose from "So I Married An Axe Murder".

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
When I saw her boasting about her ship after she lowered her shields, I imagined Q suddenly appearing, snapping his fingers and then suddenly putting her in her place with...

the-imperium-vs-warhammer-40k.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
On Jack and episode 2:

I wasn't thrown off on it that much. Yes, it's old hat, but not everything has to be a twist or a deconstruction or a whatever - sometimes it can be just played straight. I'm more curious what they do with it. The whole situation did seem to bring out more of the Picard we remember and less Patrick Stewart as the episode went on. The only questionable element is what went down on Beverly's side back then, IMO.

Also, yeah, Picard and Riker were totally the "Badmiral and his aide" to the Titan - but if it was reversed, I'd say:

1) Picard wouldn't just hand the guy over to the bounty hunters. He'd question why and stand up against the bounty hunter in favor of a court trial in much the same way he did before he was forced to recognize the kid as his
2) He would have listened to his XO. He might have pulled Riker into a private meeting and drilled him about it, but he would have trusted his first officer's judgment, not just dismiss him. (Though tbf Shaw did end up listening to Seven in the end.)

We also still don't know how the two storylines relate - but Jack was smuggling weapons, and the other side of the story is chasing stolen weapons, and a bounty hunter that appears to want ALL the toys.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Episode 2 spoilers:

the bounty hunters ship kinda reminded me of Shinzon’s with the long curved blade-like structures. I wonder if that was intentional. The Raffi storyline was the weakest part so far. I’m sure they’ll connect it to the A plot at some point but it just seemed empty. However, I smiled greatly when Worf showed up. Picard saying that Jack is his son may be a misdirection. I really hope it is because the alternative is just cliched to death. Also, for all the shenanigans that Seven Picard and Riker pulled, I’m surprised that Shaw had a change of heart at all. Granted, he may not have had a choice at that point, but it was his ship (and shuttle) that they essentially hijacked. It’s just so contrived that no matter what they do, the heroes are in the right because they’re legacy characters. If the situation had been reversed and Picards ship got hijacked ( I know that’s happened , but specific examples escape me at the moment) you know that he and his crew would be climbing walls to get control back.

This ship is very much like the old mining ship from the first Kelvin verse film, however, I don't think its intentional as they said that they were just trying to make a predatory looking ship.

Raffi storyline is more weak screen wasting time. Her whole scene where she is trying to stop the attack on the recruitment center was just awful. Her dumbass ex-husband talking about how she has conspiracy theories and has to result to drugs when no one believes her was just a sorry scene. One because she was right about the synth attacks, and was proven to be so about a seriously epic event that change the history of the entire quadrant. Also, why did Worf decapitate Sneed? That was their lead to who really stole the weapons?

The rest of the episode was great! Loved the flashbacks showing Jack in his element. I loved how the Titan can withstand a direct impact from that medical scout ship, Elios. The old galaxy class ships got taken out by direct impacts. The enterprise D in perfect health to a Miranda class ship, and the Odyssey (while heavily damaged) by just one little jem hadar attack ship.

I think Shaw's change at heart came when 7 told him he could be remembered for saving two heroes of the federation, or for letting two legends die. From that point on he seemed to get the situation that he was in. His own crew following Picard's orders without question at the end probably showed him how much respect and admiration that these two carry. You have to remember that Picard is a Star Fleet legend. Even if Shaw wanted to turn over Jack, he knows his entire crew would follow 7 and Picard. Also,I think Shaw really didn't like the bounty hunter bringing up his pysch profile. You could just see his face melting and his mind changing. Personally I like Shaw a bit more in this episode.

I for one loved the way that Jack's parentage was revealed. Riker trying to be as gentle as he could about it, while Picard not willing to let himself believe it. It wasn't until this silent moment between him and Beverly that he instantly knows the truth, which causes him to jump into action. I am ecstatic for Picard to have a son, and especially with Beverly. His family line will go on with this brash young man, and I don't feel so bad about him losing his family in Generations now. Maybe now that Picard has worked through his demons in season 2, he can actually try to be a father now to Jack, despite him being grown up when Picard meets him.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Non-spoiler review of episode 2:

I loved it! All of the old cast were great, and I especially liked Riker and Seven in this episode. Jack is a great new character and is a great example of how to introduce new characters the right way, unlike the previous two seasons that have struggled bringing in new characters. Shaw is growing on me, and I liked seeing more of the Titan this episode.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
My only question about Picard and Beverly having a son is "when?" Someone has pointed out that the actor's age nicely coincides with the year Beverly was away at Starfleet Medical, but I simply cannot accept that she was pregnant with Picard's child so early. It negates their discovery of their feelings for each other late in TNG. The only time I could imagine their "getting together" in Season 1 was "The Naked Now," but that's too early for Beverly's pregnancy (if one occured) to not be known before her departure for Starfleet Medical. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Jack is younger than his actor, and the Picard and Beverly got together sometime after Nemesis.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My only question about Picard and Beverly having a son is "when?" Someone has pointed out that the actor's age nicely coincides with the year Beverly was away at Starfleet Medical, but I simply cannot accept that she was pregnant with Picard's child so early. It negates their discovery of their feelings for each other late in TNG. The only time I could imagine their "getting together" in Season 1 was "The Naked Now," but that's too early for Beverly's pregnancy (if one occured) to not be known before her departure for Starfleet Medical. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Jack is younger than his actor, and the Picard and Beverly got together sometime after Nemesis.

I never put his actor's age as Jack's age. I just assumed he was 19-20, especially the way Beverly still tried to protect him in the opening scene of episode 1. She still tries to baby him, and I just assume that he is still 19 or so since no one has seen her in 20 years. If he was born during season 2 of TNG, that would be interesting though.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I never put his actor's age as Jack's age. I just assumed he was 19-20, especially the way Beverly still tried to protect him in the opening scene of episode 1. She still tries to baby him, and I just assume that he is still 19 or so since no one has seen her in 20 years. If he was born during season 2 of TNG, that would be interesting though.
Interesting, but unacceptable. It would mean leaving the kid with someone else, while returning to Wesley and never mentioning such an important event to anyone for at least the next five years....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He was very clearly born and raised during the 20 year gap post Nemesis they keep mentioning where no one talked to Beverly. That’s the entire point of the gap

That is what I am thinking too, but it could work the other way too. That in the 20 year gap, she finally took off to be with her love child. Either way, I can't wait to see the next episode!

Axaday

Citizen
The only questionable element is what went down on Beverly's side back then, IMO.

It could come down to that she could see Jean-Luc was unable to fully connect or settle, so she cut everyone off so that duty wouldn't caused Jean-Luc to take on a relationship that wouldn't be fulfilling for either of them. But now that Q fixed him, is Laris in trouble?

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Laris deserved far better than this show has given her. Someone with her skill set would have been very useful on all of Picard's adventures.

MrBlud

Citizen
We should keep in mind, even if the writers don’t, that Jean-Luc Picard is dead. The current one is a robotic copy that’s *treated* exactly the same but it isn’t any more than a Hologram of Jean-Luc would be. It can be patterned after him sure but you can’t transfer an actual soul into a Golem.

Top Bottom