Star Trek Lower Decks

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
As far as I remember: only the insignias were different in TOS. The only actually different uniform was when shatner wore that weird folded across the chest one cause he was fat.

Edit: and those deckhand style sweaters in the pilots. But damned if those didn't look good.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
If you truly want to wear a hajib (or cross or dastar, etc) you should be free to do so. However, it should be a genuine personal choice and not forced upon you by family, law, or wider society.

Where one draws the line and separates those things is…thorny.
Yes, just as there's absolutely no social pressure in other countries for women to wear dresses, skirts, makeup, high heels, or even to just "cover up" at times, etc. In Japan, for example, some women joined the "me too" movement to protest having to wear high heels to work, etc.

Regardless of our place in the world, women are pressured to act or dress in a male-dominated society. To single-out or demonise hijabs is not useful, IMO.

MrBlud

Citizen
I included “or cross or dastar, etc” specifically to envelop *all* religious garb and not just limit it to hijabs (or women).

Cybersnark

Citizen
Any Ferengi women serving in Starfleet?
Not (yet) in canon, but there's one in the Titan novels (though she's a noncom, so she hasn't been through the Academy).

Given how common clothed, female-presenting Ferengi were in the LD episode (and what we've seen of social movements in real life), I'm starting to think Zek/Rom's reforms really just legalized what a lot of Ferengi were already doing.

We saw two cases on DS9 of Ferengi women effectively disguising themselves as men (in Ishka's case, she worked through messages and proxies, but Pel was actually using makeup). While Quark was scandalized, he's always been depicted as pretty conservative (possibly as a reaction to living around non-Ferengi). It wouldn't surprise me to learn that most homeworld Ferengi tend to be more liberal.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oooo the link says she's a geologist! She must want to get close to precious metals for profit, hehe. Seriously though, that's cool.

I saw an Easter eggs video of the Lower Decks Ferengi visit episode and they zeroed in on a naked Ferengi sitting in the background during Tendi and Rutherford's date outside. Of course, they couldn't make it overt, haha

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Also keep in mind the Ferengi who join Starfleet generally aren't as interested in Ferengi tradition as those who stay loyal to the Ferengi Alliance. Starfleet isn't exactly a place to go if you're trying to get insanely wealthy, after all.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not (yet) in canon, but there's one in the Titan novels (though she's a noncom, so she hasn't been through the Academy).

Given how common clothed, female-presenting Ferengi were in the LD episode (and what we've seen of social movements in real life), I'm starting to think Zek/Rom's reforms really just legalized what a lot of Ferengi were already doing.

We saw two cases on DS9 of Ferengi women effectively disguising themselves as men (in Ishka's case, she worked through messages and proxies, but Pel was actually using makeup). While Quark was scandalized, he's always been depicted as pretty conservative (possibly as a reaction to living around non-Ferengi). It wouldn't surprise me to learn that most homeworld Ferengi tend to be more liberal.
That makes a lot sense.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
9th ep is out.

I got the deep cut references and, wow!

Wait, aren't Klingons part of the Federation?

I knew the last name on the list! I remember that ep from Next Gen!

I'm pretty sure that info broker is a reference to the Corbinite Maneuver. Corbomite? The bluff thing.

I loved the aside explanation of why the ships lost power. It wasn't a new draining null device whatever! And all the dialogue before made sense! I semi called it when the second ep came out! Woo!

Love the tough bountyhunter, haha

Love the weather effect.

When she gave the backstory and said that person, I said NO WAY!

Also, isn't he more huge now? I recall he was smaller.

I think the reveal should have been more careful, honestly.

Ok, this is a great ep but I can't get past the bit of bad storytelling. The season is about a mystery and they just stumble on the solution cuz Tendi picked a random thing? That's just lazy writing.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup, it's still the Klingon Empire. The Khitomer Accords and the fallout from the Neranda III incident resulted in a long standing alliance and end of (most)hostilities between the two powers. Culturally, the Klingon Empire would have a hard time joining the Federation, I think, despite the similarities between Andorian and Klingon societies.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, in the STO timeline they even went back to war for a bit thanks to the Undine/Species 8472, as the Federation rejected Klingon accusations that Undine were infiltrating their governments(which ultimately turned out to be true in the end).

Side note: When TNG was first being put together, Gene or the staff had thought about making the Klingons part of the Federation, but that fell through obviously during production.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yup, it's still the Klingon Empire. The Khitomer Accords and the fallout from the Neranda III incident resulted in a long standing alliance and end of (most)hostilities between the two powers. Culturally, the Klingon Empire would have a hard time joining the Federation, I think, despite the similarities between Andorian and Klingon societies.
The big differences between the klingons and the andorians were that andorians didn't inherently view other species as inferior, and consequently: didn't enslave other civilizations. Andorians were willing to TRY negotiating, klingons just... don't. Until it's obvious that the other civilization will not only put up a fight, but have a good chance to win it.

Plus that whole thing they did to the tribble home world... I mean, jesus christ. I don't believe in overkill but that shit was overkill.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Thanks for the inputs. I asked about the Klingons cuz the new ep said (I don't think its a spoiler) that the ships attacked were all non-Federation ships. So I wondered about the Klingons. Actually also the Binars. Guess they haven't joined the Federation yet either.

Gridlock

Citizen
I like that they made
Sito Jaxa part of Mariner backstory. I didn't remember her name, but when she said she was an ensing asked to become a spy, and how it led to her pointless death I imedietly recognize who she talked about. That was a nice reference to a story and character, that were unlikely to be mentioned any time soon, if ever. She was also a friend of Locarno in his introduction episode, so wooo, double reference bonus!

EDIT: Triple reference bonus: the episode in with Sito died was called LOWER DECKS. Woooo.

Sito Jaxa

I love this show. Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds and Prodigy makes me happy to be a Star Trek fan again.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's nice to see a long-standing elephant in the room dealt with. It's such a shame when (supposedly) royalties dictate the plot or canon of the media that we enjoy, but great that...

Remembers.png

Top Bottom