Star Trek Lower Decks

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Funny coincidence but I just saw the Damrok episode of S3 Next Generation so I finally understand that Tamarian (?) alien with Ransome who I thought was saying non sequiturs. I actually looked up his sayings, which... compare feelings from past events?

At ep1, he said Temba, with arms open to virus when it first appeared, he meant giving something, so something positive?

Ransome told him Shaka, when the walls fell, which is something bad, when the virus escaped.

Alien guy fist bumped him and said person name, with eyes uncovered, which is understanding. Ransome has been picking up on his language.

Dvandom

Citizen
Well, that's one way to resolve the ethics of the Tuvix situation. Accidentally screw things up so badly that the resulting flesh lump has no ethical considerations anymore.

---Dave

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Well, that's one way to resolve the ethics of the Tuvix situation. Accidentally screw things up so badly that the resulting flesh lump has no ethical considerations anymore.

---Dave
I took it more that the entity wouldn't want to keep living like that, so it would be still an ethical consideration, but one that wasn't quite so obviously terrible.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I mean she called it a non sentient lump of flesh so not really concerns then. I suppose it could be said that not trying to return them to tuvix form first was an ethical breach but *shrugs*

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Rechecking the meatball scene, they could have shown the petal being around, but Shaxs Barnes would probably has behind her. Also, T'lyn was out to murder them.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
That mysterious ship could be a new menance, if this show wasn't "Lower Decks" or as I called it "Beta Canon: The SERIES!" Where everything (okay, most) is in service to dishing out references and call-outs! So it'll most likely the return of something from some random episode but now badder.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Could possibly be the evil AI group. Badgey is... active? But I think they wouldn't be secretive about it.

I was very sad about the Klingon ship, once I confirmed who their captain was.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
That mysterious ship could be a new menance, if this show wasn't "Lower Decks" or as I called it "Beta Canon: The SERIES!" Where everything (okay, most) is in service to dishing out references and call-outs! So it'll most likely the return of something from some random episode but now badder.
Yeah, there's no joke if it isn't a return of something we know about, like the Pakleds. Although given the way the Pakleds were introduced by playing straight the trope of, a remote Federation research station full of scientists singing "we love being alive!" is suddenly obliterated by an unknown menace, I'm enjoying the parody take on the trope. (Which doesn't diminish the Pakled introduction actually being pretty genuinely chilling IMO.)

At some point an episode plot is going to be either escalated or resolved by use of a previously unmentioned phaser that was once owned by Pavel Chekov.
I'm assuming the new mysterious threat is some reference I haven't encountered yet but the pattern being someone usurping their commanders soooo maybe the arc is the new Lower Decks counterparts usurping the current four? I dunno.
Maybe. I hadn't made the connection since it just seemed like a parody of the usual planet of hats stuff with the Klingons and Romulans respectively. But you're right, there is a connection there.

---Dave
I'm not convinced that there ever were any ethical implications with Tuvix to be honest, though I am tempted to rewatch the episode now. The fact that (with the exception of T'illups) everyone who got The Fly'd immediately turned evil seemed to more or less solve what problem did exist even before the giant mindless flesh monster. I guess the real point was to have Tendi and T'Lyn take opposite sides on the Voyager episode but still get along as fans.

Edit: I did rewatch "Tuvix". It is indeed not an interesting ethical dilemma IMO. It rests on a concept of "death" I don't understand the significance of, and which no one genuinely questions, including Tuvix, and most especially including Tuvok and Neelix, who have literally nothing to say about the experience the end. I liked this much better when DS9 "Facets" did it a year before without imposing the death / will to live angle.

I think I read Tuvix as the tragic death of a would-be permanent cast change on Voyager. The guest star who has to be written out at the end of the episode and knows it. You know, Tuvix is reprising his Merchant of Venice on the bridge and everybody's just staring him down and saying "C'mon man, it's the end of the episode, we all know what's gotta happen here."

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Aw, he was an honorable, young captain, destined for Klingon greatness. Targs love him (at least one did). Why introduce him in such a cool way (took a stand for honor and killed his captain) then just waste his potential?

Unless they're not dead? The blast of light looks like disintegration but there's ship debris. Maybe they're not dead?

Bets on the next race attacked? The ship has only attacked ... aggressive races. Pakled next? Breen? Cardassian?

LiamA

Citizen
I'm wondering if the inclusion of the whale probe in the opening credits is a nod to this being the fourth season.

Top Bottom