Star Trek General Discussion: Strange New Worlds new season is filming!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I don't remember that, but that fact that these aren't reissues, but instead are new molds done in homage to toys from 30 years ago, intrigues me.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

All of the 10 Prime Trek movies have been removed from Paramount+ and are now on Max (formerly HBO Max).

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
We know WB'a recent extreme stupidity is a result of its new head, anyone know why Paramount suddenly seems so eager to divest themselves of stuff like Prodigy and the Trek films?

I mean "we have all the Star Trek" seems like their main attraction as a streaming service.

ZacWilliam, I love Godzilla and Earthspark but I wouldn't be signed up if not for Lower Decks.

Lobjob

Citizen
We know WB'a recent extreme stupidity is a result of its new head, anyone know why Paramount suddenly seems so eager to divest themselves of stuff like Prodigy and the Trek films?

I mean "we have all the Star Trek" seems like their main attraction as a streaming service.

ZacWilliam, I love Godzilla and Earthspark but I wouldn't be signed up if not for Lower Decks.

Its literally TrekFlix, so removing these is just bizarre. The network known for Star Trek letting it go is such a huge misstep. Or...maybe everyone racing off to make their own apps was a bad idea.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, its kind of nuts that everyone has their own streaming service, but as long as you have one, letting go of your big exclusive IP isn't the way to go. However, if they do merge with Warner Bros/Discovery, then all of it combining together in Max would make sense, as it is the more successful of the two streaming apps, and probably the third highest streaming app behind Netflix and amazon.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Man, I'm glad Paramount finally released all the Trek films on 4K last year, including blu-rays made from the new negative scans. All this streaming nonsense is too much to bother with. With SNW S2 and the second half of Prodigy finally released on blu-ray in the last couple months, my Trek TV and movie collection on disc is fully up to date.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Did nine more eps of TOS so I'm down to the last ten eps until I'm done. I haven't even seen the black and white grudge match ep yet.

306 Spectre of the Gun, yeah I'm sure they just used another western set to save on budget.

307 Day of the Dove, Kirk and crew have done laughing at the enemy before (like the Greek God ep) and them laughing at the Entity kinda annoyed me.

308 For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky, Bones gets the love interest. I'm really not wild about these sudden love interest things.

309 The Tholian Web, weird on the out of phase Kirk but it's OK.

310 Plato's Stepchildren, where Uhura and Kirk kissed. I would have preferred the dwarf to have gotten the power but him refusing it was ok too.

311 Wink of an Eye, love the problem with the time shift with the other race but why did it have to include the main lady taking interest in Kirk?

312 The Empath, weird but the Empath is an alien and human standards of self sacrifice don't have to apply to her, which was what the two aliens were doing anyway, a human concept.

313 Elaan of Troyius, OMQ I hated the start of this. Deplorable queen, bleh. Then romancing Kirk? Urgh. At least the Klingon part was good.

314 Whom Gods Destroy, loved Garth the villain. He seemed more interesting that Khan to me. He shapeshifts and is crazy. The woman who was all over Kirk was insufferable at first but she did not deserve to get killed like that. A very harsh ep but I found quite interesting, what with Garth trying to find ways to get the command code to escape.

Ten more eps to go.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
sq5DXQA.jpeg

Apologies for double posting but I saw this meme and I'd just like to confirm that I got it right that Kira is the bisexual terrorist (when was she bisexual again?) and Worf is the communist himbo (he wasn't in the initial cast so I forgot about him and was thinking that Jake can't be the himbo).

Also weird that there's no reference to Quark. Or Nog.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Well Quark isn't QUITE woke. He's a staunch capitalist and rather racist despite having softened his views somewhat by the end of the series. Nog, though.. He rejected tradition to join an organization that is the antithesis in many ways of what the Ferengi Alliance stands for.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I mean, I guess it's possible that Kira is bisexual, but we never saw that explored in the Prime Universe on DS9.

I think it's mainly assuming she is because her mirror counterpart will basically **** anything with a pulse.

Shadewing

Citizen
Well Quark isn't QUITE woke. He's a staunch capitalist and rather racist despite having softened his views somewhat by the end of the series. Nog, though.. He rejected tradition to join an organization that is the antithesis in many ways of what the Ferengi Alliance stands for.

Quark is kinda on the edge of being woke. While he is a capitalist and can be racist; he's still ALOT more liberal in his views then a lot of Ferengi are.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
308 For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky, Bones gets the love interest. I'm really not wild about these sudden love interest things.

I always liked this episode and loved that quote.

310 Plato's Stepchildren, where Uhura and Kirk kissed. I would have preferred the dwarf to have gotten the power but him refusing it was ok too.
I don't want to gloss over how significant this episode is. Surprisingly, they didn't get too much hate for the first interracial kiss most people ever saw on TV(wikipedia has a list of about 6 other prior kisses, but they were small productions and a lot of them on the BBC and not on the American market. )

314 Whom Gods Destroy, loved Garth the villain. He seemed more interesting that Khan to me. He shapeshifts and is crazy. The woman who was all over Kirk was insufferable at first but she did not deserve to get killed like that. A very harsh ep but I found quite interesting, what with Garth trying to find ways to get the command code to escape.

Garth was great! This episode is definitely one of my favorites.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Chekov was only created before the second season, as a direct response to two things:

A) Cold War-era anti-Russian propaganda. Someone figured that the show that made it a point to include a black woman and an Asian man (during the civil rights movement and the Vietnam war) really should also include a Russian character just to show that we could all get along.

B) The Monkees, and specifically Davy Jones. Chekov was meant to be the boyish mop-haired young heart-throb to appeal to more young women.

(That last one is part of why he was always suffering; nothing raises sympathy like hurting the metaphorical puppy dog.)
There was also a third reason, which was that George Takei was absent for part of the production of season 2 because he was busy with a movie.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Garth was great! This episode is definitely one of my favorites.
Yeah, it was great. But they made him normal again so he can't be a villain anymore, oh well.

There was also a third reason, which was that George Takei was absent for part of the production of season 2 because he was busy with a movie.
It's a bit of a shame (or fortunate?) cuz I feel like Chekov got more personality and focus than Sulu.

---
I'm done! Woo!

315 Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, ah this was the half colored, racism ep I knew about. Sad ending but I feel like they didn't need go show those war montages at the end, since they didn't do that before.

316 Mark of Gideon, another woman and Kirk in love again, guh. The overpopulation with people in suits almost jammed together was creepy tho.

317 That Which Survives, I kinda liked how super creepy that holo woman is. If she knows your name, she can kill you with a touch. Like... a banshee? The tactic of different named men shielding you was great, until it wasn't. This could have been a horror, mystery ep.

318 Lights of Zetar, another woman but with Scotty, semi in love, guuh. The light race killed people but, man, couldn't Kirk have let them have one of the robot bodies that the metal ball alien race wanted to inhabit too? Kirk committed genocide. Neat to know the term Memory Alpha is an actual show reference, since I check that website at times. Also, despite being a damsel in distress, I rather liked this one.

319 Requin for Methuselah, omg, another woman and Kirk in love, again, guuuh! Reyna could have been a precursor with Data (but then, so could the robots from Mudd's robot world too). The immortal famous guy was too much tho. And him turning normal after having his heart broken by a robot? Why? Didn't he say he loved before too?

320 Way to Eden, another woman but with Chekov, semi in love, guuuuh! Darn this misrepresentation of space hippies! They needed to counter balance this with a better version of these guys. They can't be all that bad. Was Herbert as an insult suppose to be aimed in Frank Herbert Dune? Seems so specific to say that it was an uptight person.

321 Cloud Minders, anoooother woman but with Spock, sorta in love, guuuuuh! And that weird scene where Kirk wrestles with that assassin in bed and said he enjoyed it? Geez. Was a good commentary on the slave classes tho.

322 Savage Curtain, no one in love! That broke the streak, hehe. Omg they killed Lincoln! And it's Kahless! That ancient Klingon warrior from Next Gen! This is where he came from? That's pretty cool to be a callback. Pretty goofy ep, with the weird looking rock alien. There's a whole bunch of aliens toying with humans, oh well.

323 All Our Yesterday, oh well, another woman and Spock again, in love, guuuuuuh! The evil librarian exiled all the people he didn't like but he didn't really get his come uppance. So many people lost tho. No justice for them. Oh, I'm thinking people were exiled into simulated scenarios and books instead of actual time portals, though they say it really is through time.

324 Turnabout Intruder, the final ep is a mind switch ep? Yow. Indignity of being a woman?!? Geez. I wonder if the female to male switch was another social commentary, though they have the lady be evil and said she was hysterical. They brought back those wall leg press exercise machine, haha. Aaaand it was also another woman and Kirk, but formerly love then homicidal hate. Final guuuuuuuh! Kidding, hehe

---
Wow, I'm finally done with TOS. I wasn't fond of the way women were portrayed or treated, and with so much romancing.

There was a lot of the three finger type sign, saying Live Long and Prosper, the Vulcan Mind Meld or the Vulcan Nerve Pinch in pop culture but I was surprised that it wasn't that prevalent.

I didn't notice the Red Shirts getting killed frequently or at least enough for it to be a phenomenon. I didn't notice Kirk's pausing while speaking until later on either. Not enough of Uhura and Sulu as I thought too. And Bones was kinda mean at times, so weird. Bit of an eye opener.

I think I ended up liking Chekov just a little more than Spock. I think. I dunno.

Overall, I'm glad to have watched it all but, wow, it really was a product of its time.

Oooh, I'm going to have to rewatch Lower Decks (after Voyager... and Enterprise? Or no?) to pick up on other references I missed, hehe. But I think I'll watch the Animated series first, since they're so short.

Whew!

Lobjob

Citizen
As to the "romancing", everytime I watch TOS I'm reminded just how horny it was. This shift was probably the biggest change in every series to come after.

But then again there's William Riker...

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Oh Gene wanted to make TNG a LOT hornier(just look up what he wanted to do with Troi and the Ferengi early on, not gonna give details because NSFW) but his influence on that was limited before he was no longer involved.

Shadewing

Citizen
Oh Gene wanted to make TNG a LOT hornier(just look up what he wanted to do with Troi and the Ferengi early on, not gonna give details because NSFW) but his influence on that was limited before he was no longer involved.

It certainly explains the Skant.

Top Bottom