Sonic The Hedgehog

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
DX has been rereleased on so many platforms at this point, I'm pretty sure whatever data they'd need to bring the original to any modern platform without just running it in an emulator was lost a long time ago.

Sjogre

Citizen
*squints*

Is Sonic wearing his burnt-up shoes from the first episode? I'm suspecting that Shadow pulled off one of Nine's stabilizer dealies.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Personally, I think Shadow's trying to figure them out, as opposed to stealing them. My guess is that they're in No Place (the flooded dimension) and Shadow pulled one off when he saw Sonic running on water. Would fit in with the prior discussion of Sonic being impulsive and Shadow being methodical.

Someone else getting the devices opens up the question of what would this do if put on the alternate versions of his friends...or the shards. Is this the key to fixing things and Sonic would have never thought about it since he's functioning on adrenaline and is still mildly overwhelmed with the whole situation.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Not game-canon.

There's been various attempts at hinting at stuff in Archie Comics, but I don't think the games ever explained it.

There MIGHT be something in one of the old game manuals about the Chaos Emeralds warping reality to protect themselves or something...but I might be mis-remembering and the English game manuals are probably...of questionable "canon" reliability, anyway.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Ew, The Game Theorists. Don't particularly care for the jittery video style that seems focused on entertaining short attention spans and capitalizing on clickbait than being good discussion. For this video, they chose the one thing that was easiest to prove and least breaking of the lore. But...I think the act of bringing up the shift in lore is good. So, thank you Shadewing. There's a lot that hasn't been discussed here about Sonic Frontiers and the greater lore implications. I guess it's up to the mods on whether these should be in spoilers since I'm not sure if we're far enough from the release of Frontiers.

I think the first thing is that Sega hired a team to work on consolidating the lore. This include writer Ian Flynn and current Sonic social media manager Katie Chrzanowski. As a 30+ year franchise with multiple writers that's often filtered through translations, there's obvious holes in the lore. Adding to that, it could be argued that the American and Japanese game lore are different canon. That said, there's been efforts to bring them closer.

On the actual lore, I'll start with Sonic Unleashed. Frontiers states that the Chaos Emeralds come from outer space and were brought to earth. Unleashed states that the Chaos Emeralds were in the Gaia Temples and are intrinsic to the battles between Light Gaia and Dark Gaia and the planet's rebirth cycle. This feels like a contradiction, though it could be a timing issue with the Ancients arriving before the Gaia Temples were built. Sonic lore tends to deliberately not use exact time measurements.

MrBlud

Citizen
Funny comic I saw
F5D70A2E-8594-43F0-A71E-D3BD9DFAA04F.jpeg

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Heh, it instead kinda looks like Shadow's spirit animal is trying to shoot him, and that's why Shadow looks upset.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So...I WANT to believe this...but, take it with a grain of salt.

Apparently, Morio Kishimoto, the director of Sonic Frontiers is "very interested" in using...the Freedom Fighters, Mighty, Ray, and Honey.

A Google Translate version of the tweet:
With that said, would you be interested in seeing Knothole Freedom Fighter from old Sonic comics, Honey the Cat and Hooligan from Sonic the Fighters, and Mighty and Ray from classic games appearing in modern games?

Yes, I'm very interested in seeing those characters appear.

My mind...refuses to accept this right now. I'm convinced that he must have gotten the create-a-character from Forces mixed up the Freedom Fighters.

But, if this is correct, I would like that very much. Please and thank you.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Hmm. I think the million ring question is whether some or all of those characters will reappear. I can see some having vastly higher chances than others.

Top Bottom