Reproductive rights thread

NovaSaber

Citizen

The case, known as LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc, rested upon an argument by several intended parents that their “embryonic children” had been victims of a wrongful death when an intruder broke into the IVF clinic, dropping trays containing some of the embryos and ultimately destroying them.
In a 7–2 decision, Alabama’s highest court ruled that the clinic had been negligent, allowing the parents to proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit. The court also ruled that it is “the public policy of this state to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children, including the right to life,” referring to the Alabama Constitution’s Sanctity of Life Amendment, ratified in 2018.
In other words, this is definitely heading for a result the plaintiffs didn't want.

But the opinion also quotes the Bible as reasoning for functionally killing IVF access within the aggressively pro-life state, turning to an eyebrow-raising verse from Jeremiah 1:5 for guidance before deciding to make it harder for Alabamans to have a family.
Because of course they did.

You know, before Roe v. Wade was overturned, the people who opposed abortion by saying "embryos are people" would tend to deny that IVF was just as "wrong" by the same standard, and I don't think most of them want it to be illegal...but courts value consistency a lot more than legislators or preachers do.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Anyone heard of Decree 770? Draconian laws enacted by Ceaușescu when he was dictator of communist era Romania. Banned contraception and pregnancy tests as well as abortion. Sounds disturbingly like the situation where the US is currently headed.

Paladin

Citizen
They will destroy anything that gives women agency & enjoyment.

Attachments

• Repubx.jpg
    Repubx.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 40

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Let me guess, he's never heard of bonobos, who use intercourse for social bonding, or any of the numerous other mammalian species who use sex as a way to assert dominance in a social group.

It's common in nature for a single behavior to have multiple uses.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It does not matter what you tell them, what facts you present, or how you present them. They'll come up with an excuse, a justification and refuse to reconsider their position: because we all need to abide by their god and nothing else.

Ungnome

Citizen
Wish it weren't true.... There's still that small little nugget in my brain that holds out hope that these people are simply ignorant, not in full denial of reality.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Most of their supporters ARE, and a properly formatted dissenting voice (and going cold turkey on the propaganda.) will usually make them think enough to start to question stuff.

The talking heads aren't. They know better and are doing all this for the money. When a better scam comes along, they'll flip-flop like a panicked, dying fish.

Ungnome

Citizen
I didn't know that creating human-animal chimeras was currently illegal, actually. There have been two bills introduced over the past few years to make it illegal but neither have made it out of committee so as far as I'm concerned Dr Moreau can open business in pretty much any state, if he wanted to.

Figures some Republican idiot is afraid a bill protecting fertility treatments would make something already legal... still legal.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Sometimes when I'm feeling a bit blue, I daydream about living in a country where making a batshit-crazy leap of "logic" like that is a surefire way to guarantee that you won't get re-elected.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
*reads mollusks and dekafoxs posts*

...*defeated sigh*

I need to lay down for a minute...

Top Bottom