Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well I think part of it is the tooling investment. Roughly Two molds (one Male, one Female) that they could use for two different characters that have a bit more sholderpad than most ranger suits making them not as easy to just repaint the basic ranger body molds. I don't think it's that big a deal overall but it's a factor. And then the newest Omega would probably take up a vehicle slot too.

Then there is the popularity of comic readers over every other series before. I'm glad we got Drakkon twice over now and a Ranger Slayer. But Drakkon was one of the biggest things to happen due to the Booms Comics. And it's Tommy. Although I counter myself a bit on the tooling since Drakkon uses a lot of base body, but has an extensive ammount of tooling on his chestplates, helmets, and lower arms and boots. Ranger Slayer is a base MMPR Pink figure repainted and given a cape and a new bow and triple arrow. Anyways back to popularity. I don't think the Omegas had the Hype that Drakkon did. Mainstream consumers have no idea what the Omega Rangers are. Base Drakkon and the Ranger Slayers have enough of their base Ranger DNA to tell that they are riffs on Green and White and a weird take on Pink. The Omegas would be recognizable as Rangers for sure, but not many consumers would know who they are compared to any TV season of rangers. For now Hasbro would be better off finishing a few teams up or continuing ones they already have started. MMPR is running dry but still could run a few waves more. Zeo is done, If anything there are a few base teams they could finish off easy.

SPD's base team is only missing SPD Yellow. You can also count Kat Ranger or a few more but of the core team we just need Zee.

Dino Thunder Yellow and Black are the only Rangers needed other than a Triassic Red that are needed

In Space is pretty much done.

Lost Galaxy is about 3/6 needing the two women and LG Green.

Beast Morphers needs Yellow and Silver.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd love to see the Omega's. They already made it into the Heroes of the Grid board game. It's probably a matter of time really.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Do y'all suppose that Beast Morphers Silver would come with an optional unmorphed head like many of the other Lightning Collection figures? I only ask because it's Steel, who never wore his morphed suit with his helmet off. The other four rangers all did, but Steel never removed his helmet without just completely de-morphing.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Id also love figures of the Pirate Rangers, but I heard that season is HIGHLY unpopular so I doubt theres a chance of that...

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Id also love figures of the Pirate Rangers, but I heard that season is HIGHLY unpopular so I doubt theres a chance of that...
People will probably just pretend that they're the Gokaigers. =P

A little off-topic: my friend who is a big DMC fan - and particularly of Vergil - just found out that his VA was also Time Force's Eric, and now my friend wants a Lightning Collection Quantum Ranger. XD He then mistook Time Force Red for Eric and almost bought Wes' figure when he saw it on Amazon, but fortunately I stopped him - Eric's bound to get a figure anyway, being such a popular Ranger and all.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
The first half of Season 2 of Dino Fury will premiere on Netflix March 3.

Have a new theme song:

Hopefully, it does a good job addressing some of the first season's plot points, since I feel like the first season was ALL setup...more so than usual anyway. And I notice a seeming lack of Zedd, unless I missed him.

Last edited:

Paladin

Citizen
shouting "GO GO POWER RANGERS; EVOLUTION REVOLUTION" while synth music blares in the background is NOT a "Theme Song." no new visuals you put on top of it will change that.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Sadly yes it is. It's just lazy though. But it's almost been like this for most of the series since Samurai (some credit to Dino Charge and Ninja Steel for doing a bit more) so what are you going to do. Heck they only have 30 second openings anymore. It's not a lot of time to pull off something too memorable.

I've been thinking of what to do for my RPG campaign if I ever get it rolling. I might need to wait for a later expansion book but with the Boom comics going into some past pre-history of the series, one thing that hasn't really ever been explained is still sitting off with me.

Why Earth?

Seriously! Have they ever tried to explain why Earth seems to be a nexus point of all these Rangers to appear. Sure we've had the resting places of all sorts of Morphing Grid McGuffins like the Zeo Crystal nearby. But post Zordon era the realms of how the Morphing Grid is tapped is exploded into so many forms. Where did organizations like Lightspeed, Time Force, SPD, and Dr. K find out how to tap into the grid? And how? Even then there are the Magic or mysticly inspired teams. While there is the Mystic Mother connection in Mystic Force it can't explain away that the adult Mystic Force users would pre-date MMPR and possibly the powers could predate Zordons arrival on Earth. And even when Power sources come from off world the powers and threat comes to Earth. Heck even the one series that actually heads off world, They are technically taking a chunk of Earth with them on Terra Venture.

I mean the obvious out of universe answer is it's cheaper to base things in the real world when doing a live action series. But I feel like there should be some reason that Earth no matter what dimension turns into the focal point of the Morphing Grids defense most times. I'm thinking of doing a campaign of Rangers that explores the idea of where some of the the traditions of the Past Rangers may have come from with them discovering different points in time the Grid creates it's sources of power. But their Ranger suits adapt to the era and influence of what the grid is channeled it's power through. Similar to Super Megaforce but not channeling the specific powers of the other rangers.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Hopefully, it does a good job addressing some of the first season's plot points, since I feel like the first season was ALL setup...more so than usual anyway. And I notice a seeming lack of Zedd, unless I missed him.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for. There was plenty set up in Season 1 that I expected the final eps to deal with in some way and they kinda did nothing. Rangers never even learned of the existence of Tube Girl and she was right there with them in the whole last battle. I hope more actually happens in S2.

-ZacWilliam, watching with my son, he's hoping for some more Beast Morphers connections

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yes guys I know the easy answer to the question. I addressed it in the first post. But in universe there are other alien worlds with life all over. Yet only a few Ranger teams are ever found away from Earth. So while yes the out of universe answer is super obvious, it's a valid in universe question to ask I feel.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In Mick's episode, he did say that he got to meet over forty other rangers during his time of traveling throughout the galaxy between Super Ninja Steel and Dino Charge season 1, so there's gotta be a bunch of other rangers out there in the galaxy who are unaffiliated with Earth.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, recently in the Boom Comics, I believe they explained that Zordon hid the Zeo Crystal on Earth because they needed some out of the way, backwater place no one would suspect. Mind you, the Zeo Crystal seems to have a VERY different backstory and abilities in the Boom Comics, which makes it much more important. Not only is it the source of Zedd's origin, apparently it was created when a space god killed a space demon. And the Zeo Crystal was never actually destroyed or lost or anything. It's still somewhere on Earth. So...it'd be pretty easy to say that maybe the Zeo Crystal is making Earth more "radioactive" with higher than normal Morphin energy levels.

Or, it would be pretty easy to tie most of this in with Zordon. Most of the early enemies only seemed to come to Earth because Zordon was here and they wanted him dead. Zordon not only lived on Earth for hundreds/thousands of years, he also died there, and he left different backup plans like Gosei from Megaforce on Earth. It wouldn't be too hard to say that Zordon's spirit or different backup plans might still be nudging things here or there to make it easier for humans to rediscover the Morphin Grid over and over again. Or maybe Zordon's death or the many Ranger teams in the past actually has made Earth more "active" with Morphin energy. Also, Earth is the place were Dark Specter "died", and given in the comics he's now the cosmic embodiment of the Dark Side of the Force, that might further add to Earth's Morphin radioactivity.

Or maybe the Morphin Grid is just rediculously easy to access once you know it's there. People on Earth have known about Ranger teams for decades now. It might just be natural to find this stuff, once you kind of know what to look for. Once you know you can make fire by banging on some rocks, it's pretty easy to just keep banging rocks together until you find the right type of rocks, after all.

Or, you could always just use the convenient excuse that Earth is just at a nexus of some big, cosmic Morphin ley lines. That it's just naturally, coincidentally connected to Morphin energy by being in the right place at the right time.

Or, maybe the Morphin Grid just likes humans. Like the Doctor from Doctor Who just liking Earthlings. Like it or not, we've seen in recent years that the Morphin Grid has...some sort of intelligence behind it. Giving people visions of the future (and maybe explaining why some people like Tommy get preferential treatment). Maybe the Morphin Grid just thinks we're neat.

Or, maybe Earth isn't really all that special after all. We've seen other planets with Power Rangers like the Aquitarians, after all. Maybe Earth just has so many Ranger teams because we have short attention spans and just can't commit to a theme. As many teams as Earth has had, there's usually only one team active at any one time after all.

For a long time, my personal headcanon was that Zordon basically MADE the Morphin Grid. This...is no longer possible due to newer canon sources. But, the term "Grid" always made me think of something that was artificial. I don't think many things in nature actually come out as a "grid". I supposed you could still say that the Morphin Masters made the actual "Grid" part for the Morphin energy to flow through. Maybe this natutally gave rise to the light and Dark Specter, as some sort of artificial intelligences. The Morphin Masters might have given the energy of the universe the ability to perceive itself by creating a cosmic "brain" for it to think with. But, this is all fanon.

Any way you do this, you might want to keep a eye on the Power Rangers Universe miniseries right now. I have a feeling this isn't just exploring the origins of the Morphin Masters, but maybe the Emissaries and the Empyreals, too. There's 3 Emissaries and 3 Empyreals, and there's just coincidentally 6 "original Rangers" who can access any Ranger suit from across time...maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it seems like there's a connection there.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This caught my attention. It's an interest introspection on being an adult Power Rangers fan and toy collector:

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
A couple days ago.

My son and I are through episode 8 (out of 11) of season 2 part1. We're enjoying it in general. 7 and 8 probably our favorite.

-ZacWilliam, Largely because we've started calling Void Knight "Derrick" and laughing at his fashion choices.

-

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I finally got my Lightning Collection Finster. Hes damn impressive in details and paint apps! Mine has some loose ankles tho, so its hard to get him to stay standing.

(Now I want a Squatt and Babboo just to complete the set...)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Just finished binge-watching the first half of Dino Fury season 2 on Netflix. I gotta say, the villain storyline with Void Knight/Tarrick/Void King has been a fascinating one, probably one of the most interesting villain storylines we've have in a long time. His story is intriguing that Dino Fury overall became the first Power Rangers series that I actually wanted to see the main bad guy achieve his goals, just for how they're so different from what we're used to when it comes to main PR villains.

Also, it's neat that, in Void Queen's case, they used the full costume for a character from a Sentai series never adapted for Power Rangers, that being ToQger.

Top Bottom