Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
ABC Family really hyped it up, too, making it the centerpiece presentation of a special marathon titled "Made-In-Japan-athon", in which they played interstitial features during all the episodes' commercial breaks that looked at all kinds of stuff from Japan and Japanese pop culture, like shops in Shibuya and Akihabara, and other tourist attractions. It was really cool.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I could see the ZyuRanger thing happening potentially if Boom were to foot the bill...

Assuming they could afford it.

wentwood

Citizen
I got the 4 Mega sets up to RPM (2012 - 2014).

One thing bugged me.

Why did Jetix need to include that Behind The Scenes episode? They could have done a 33rd and saved it for the bonus features rather than make it an in year episode.

Made In Japan A Thon clips

Can somebody put those up?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If memory serves, they went way over budget on RPM, and switched producers mid-season. That episode was probably a cost-saving measure that still allowed them to fulfill their ordered episode requirements.

wentwood

Citizen
I bought the 4 box sets (2012 - 2014).

during Power Rangers RPM we had changed cable companies.

I'm watching Power Rangers RPM on DVD.

I saw Mystic Force - Jungle Fury on ABC Kids.

wentwood

Citizen
ABC is a basic channel you get.

Having started Power Rangers RPM on DVD the episodes pre Samurai will be full screen rather than pillar format. 1:33.1 aspect ratio.

That was great given Zyu - Detective (Deka) Ranger did the same thing on DVD.

However I wonder what would happen after Power Rangers RPM with Samurai.

I was curious for the transition into HD episodes.

I watched MMPR - Jungle Fury on DVD a while ago.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Reading the press release, it sounds like Hasbro isn't fully giving Power Rangers away to Playmates, but more like the two companies have entered into a partnership where Hasbro is licensing part of the brand to allow Playmates to make a MMPR line of toys aimed at young kids, which Hasbro will also sell via Hasbro Pulse in addition to normal retail outlets, while Hasbro still keeps ownership of the brand as a whole.

This press release also says nothing about the future of the fiction going forward, just that Playmates will be making a new MMPR toyline for little kids.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Guess we know why John Warden is back on Transformers/GI Joe! (He had been assigned to "Design Director" for what was once called "Emerging Brands". I think Hasbro reorganized, with Emerging Brands becoming "Portfolio Brands", which amounted to Hasbro properties which weren't significant enough to be labeled "Franchise")

While I think the business types are all excited about this...I think it reflects poorly on how Hasbro has been handling many of its properties as of late. Power Rangers was an Evergreen property for damn near 30 years, but within 5 years, Hasbro managed to fumble the brand out of mass retail. Hasbro is licensing out Power Rangers because people in management don't feel it is worth investing in, as a brand. A brand that managed to survive peaks, valleys, ownership changes, channel changes and market changes longer than some fans have been alive.
As it stands, I suspect Lightning Collection to be relegated to Pulse (if it even continues), and I'm not sure how much long term viability the brand has when it looks like Hasbro may not be investing in new media. Power Rangers has the same benefit Transformers does on that regard, though, with Hasbro having spread content across Netflix, Tubi , YouTube and Pluto. It's not hard to find Power Rangers content, but after 30 years, the iconography is damn diverse, without the "hallmarks" Transformers has when it comes to key character designs. And like Transformers, MMPR is the "G1" from which everything else is subservient to.

This continues a trend I've not been happy with in Hasbro: As a TOY company, they are increasingly embarrassed to make toys FOR KIDS. In order to facilitate making stuff that appeals to older fans and legacy fans, the kid stuff has suffered ACROSS the board. Lacking paint apps, details, articulation, Hasbro's kid centric products are comparing unfavorably against its competitors.
In a lot of ways, I'm being reminded of Mattel's downward slide in the 2000s as Mattel was guilty of a LOT of the same misguided focus on the their output and a corporate board more concerned with stock price than the quality of product or building brands.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
TBF, kids these days are growing up with tablets and touchscreens practically from the cradle. And parents can't exactly step on a loose voxel barefoot in the middle of the night. There is still a market for toys outside collectors(obviously) but it's not as rich as it once was, so Hasbro's flailing trying to find a way forward. And licensing is very lucrative for them. Look at the Monopoly Go deal for example, they're making bank off that, and it doesn't cost them a dime. This seems to be where Chris Cocks and co's head is at - license out all the things, rake in the bucks with little to no risk, and only pony up yourself if it's a sure thing.

Badgertron

Citizen
I haven't really been in the loop for Lightning Collection the past couple of years, did it fizzle out due to any one thing? I'd seen a couple of reviews that seemed unhappy with the Zord Ascension figures. How did things end up panning out with the black & gold NFT Megazord?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Zord Acension really didn't hit well. I heard quite a few QC issues with the Astro Megazord and the whole NFT thing didn't sit well with a lot of people with the initial Black and Gold version of the Megazord. As far as LC overall, I hate to say it but branching out beyond MMPR ended up in a lot of Pegwarming. You'd still have people buyig the figures but only Hardcore collectors or fans of the individual shows tended to grab anything beyond MMPR or the Zordon era in general. Steevy's not wrong in that there is a ton of potential in the line with all the seasons, but that honestly isn't as good as it sounds business wise sometimes. I may love to see the Omega Rangers from the comics and it may be something hot for the comic reading fanbase but over all that's a small niche of the fandom and they still gotta order thousands of sets just to make it to an Minimum Order Quantity from the factory.

Take that and apply the logic to every season out there and well....it's honestly not great for business. There are somethings I thought would be instant sell outs and yet they would languish in places until they hit clearance. And then you take into account people getting frustrated in how long it took to get full teams, which only a few teams ever were completed, There's more that can be said but I gotta run to work.

AgentOrange

Citizen
This continues a trend I've not been happy with in Hasbro: As a TOY company, they are increasingly embarrassed to make toys FOR KIDS.
Do you have kids? Because my kids sure as **** have a ton of Play Doh, Playskool, Mr Potato Head, Littlest Pet Shop, Parker Brothers and Milton Bradley games, and Nerf that Hasbro doesn't seem particularly embarrassed to be making. There are toys that aren't action figures. Don't be so myopic

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, chances are Boom's just going to be getting new #1, and probably a new creative team. They're probably just building up the hype for the reveal on that. The MMPR comics seem to still be pretty successful for Boom, so I think they'll continue on for a while yet.

...Mind, I'm still not sure if they'll be continuing with MMPR, moving forward to Zeo, or tying into whatever new thing Hasbro has cooking.

Because, to me, the deal with Playmates kind of sounds like Hasbro is actually planning on a big push for Power Rangers, in some form, in 2025. Hasbro might not be able to make products for BOTH MMPR and the new thing at the same time. So, they're contracting out the original, sure-thing line to another company while they focus on making products for the new thing. Whatever that is. I wouldn't be surprised if we get news on that "new thing" at San Diego Comic Con, too.

Because, I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro wants Boom to focus on whatever this new thing is, too. Hasbro does tend to like all their media to reflect their main current focus. Chances are, we'll probably get a MMPR miniseries alongside a miniseries for whatever the new thing is.

...If that "new thing" is even ready. I'll admit, I don't think there's been any news on that whatsoever. And maybe I'm underestimating just how poorly Power Rangers is selling at the moment. But, I think Hasbro is probably gearing up for a big push next year for Power Rangers. In whatever form it takes next.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was animated? Because, Hasbro just has more experience with animation than live action shows. They seem more comfortable with animation, and Hasbro probably doesn't want to take many big risks right now. But, we'll see.

Top Bottom