Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

wentwood

Citizen
Hasbro has done this for MMPR episodes recently.

When I had cable I saw Dark Wish uncut as a TV movie of sorts that week.

Mid way through Mystic Force it swapped over to ABC Kids.

I watched MMPR - Space Patrol Delta on DVD as I didn't have cable at the time they were on the air.

I came into Power Rangers when Mystic Force started up

My era was Mystic Force - Race Performance Machines.

I lost cable half way through Samurai part 1 but I saw Samurai - Super Ninja Steel on DVD.

wentwood

Citizen
They did it for Dark Wish and removed the credits for this run.

Shout Factory picked up DVD rights so I bought them up to Super Ninja Steel. Lions Gate started with Samurai Part 1.

I saw the next 2 on Netflix. I still want to see Cosmic Fury at some point.

wentwood

Citizen
Having bought the Shout boxed sets in 2012 - 2014 I was able to see all of Power Rangers pre Mystic Force. I watched Operation Overdrive on DVD having missed one week. The same for Race Performance Machines.

What happened was Netflix only has MMPR and Beast Morphers forward. Amazon Prime you have to buy them.

You Tube now has up to Dino Fury on the PR channel.

The second problem is because licensing rights run out and you lose your episodes as they are no longer allowed to carry them on the feed.

So I own pre Beast Morphers on DVD.

wentwood

Citizen
Watching Power Rangers Star Clash which is a fan mix of Alien Fighters with Bioman Morphed fights. Cool idea but they will need to rework the story footage to include a 5th Ranger.

wentwood

Citizen
PR EU Fan Projects

Power Rangers Shattered Past
Power Rangers - Rise Of The Ninjas
Power Rangers Unworthy

Saw all 3 on YouTube

Brody from Ninja Steel is in it and meets Alyssa from Wild Force as Ninja White. Also Shattered Past features Omega Ranger Sam in human form as the lead.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Back when Once & Always came out, I posted this headcanon explanation regarding both Trini's death, Minh's initial inability to morph, and her inexplicable survival of the same attack from Rita that had killed her mother:

This is more my own headcanon than anything, but after thinking about all of the ranger deaths that involved fatal blasts and explosions, I like to think that it wasn't either the morpher or the grid that protected Minh, but rather Trini herself from within the Morphin Grid. When Zayto blew up at the end of Dino Fury, Master Red said that Zayto became one with the Morphin Grid, and his death was a lot like those of Kendrix and the Magna Defender. I like to think that not only did Kendrix and MD become one with the Grid, but that Trini did as well.

I also like to think that the reason Minh couldn't morph at first wasn't because the morpher or the Grid wouldn't let her (since past seasons have shown people with selfish or even evil intent being able to morph without any issue) but because Trini herself wouldn't let Minh morph. In both Lost Galaxy death cases, their morphing powers were passed onto their respective successors (Karone and Mike) only after Kendrix and MD first chose them and granted them access to their respective powers.

From within the Grid, Trini would have been observing Minh's behavior and would prevent her from using the morpher for vengeance, not choosing to pass on its power to Minh until she was truly ready, in both mind and body. And when Minh took the blast meant for Billy (the same blast that Trini took and died for Billy a year earlier), Trini's spirit within the Grid would have protected her just as Kendrix's spirit saved Karone when she nearly died after being sent off a cliff by Trakeena.

That rush of memories about Trini that Minh got from the morpher? I like to also think of that as the presence of Trini's spirit washing over Minh, comforting her daughter as if to hold her in her arms for one last time as a final goodbye, using the morpher as a means to connect Trini from within the Grid to her daughter in the physical world. And so with Minh having performed a heroic act of self-sacrifice that her mother's spirit kept her shielded during, Trini finally chose Minh to be her successor and at last allowed Minh to morph.

Since the release of Cosmic Fury, I've felt the need to revise this a bit as there were a few other Ranger deaths and resurrections I'd forgotten to take into account at the time.

While I do still think that when a ranger is killed when morphed (and thus when their connection to the Morphin Grid is at its most active), I no longer think that any ranger can eventually come back from the Grid on their own, which is what I previously believed about Kendrix and Zayto since I had misremembered Dino Fury saying that Zayto only came back because the Morphin Masters brought him back.

In Kendrix's case, I do believe that it was probably Master Green who brought her back, as her return seemed to just happen on its own independent of the Quasar Sabers undoing the curse Furio placed on Mirinoi's inhabitants way back in Lost Galaxy's second episode. Kendrix also seemed to be aware of the Galaxy Rangers' progress prior to her return, as when she reappeared on Mirinoi, she said to the others "I knew you'd make it here," as if she'd been watching them and waiting for them to arrive, which would mean her revival was set to happen even before the rangers ever reached Mirinoi. And, this is just a coincidence, but Kendrix's return was animated with a glowing aura that had a particularly GREEN tint to it. ;)

I had also forgotten about Steel's death, revival, and transformation into a human in the Beast Morphers finale, which Dino Fury also said was Master Green's doing.

A similar thing even happened to Mack back in Operation Overdrive's finale, but that case we know wasn't by a Morphin Master but instead by the power of the Corona Aurora. Being the "Crown of the Gods", it would stand to reason that its power is that of the gods and therefore on par with that of a Morphin Master at the very least (if not even greater than).

Gem and Gemma were also destroyed in the RPM finale, but it was shown that they were absorbed into the RPM Rangers' Bio-Field (which has since been confirmed to be the RPM Universe's name for the Morphin Grid) by Venjix when he took control of the Bio-Field, and it was shown that Dr. K brought them back from it with help from Tenaya planting a virus to disrupt Venjix's control over the Bio-Field, so no Morphin Master was needed to help with that.

Other rangers or ranger-like allies resurrected onscreen were Zhane, Daggeron, Leanbow, and Robo Knight.
  • In Zhane's case, he temporarily flatlined and his revival was seen as nothing more than a medical miracle. But re-watching his revival, he comes out of his cryogenic chamber at full power, ready and rearing to kick butt. He wasn't even groggy or in need of any adjustment to being awake again. It's possible that Master Green not only restarted his heart but also restored him to full health.
  • For Robo Knight, he inexplicably reappeared alive and well in the Extended Edition of the Legendary Battle, but since Dino Fury said that everyone coming to help the Megaforce Rangers in that battle was Master Green's doing, Robo Knight's return can be attributed to her as well.
  • As for Leanbow and Daggeron, The Master seemingly killed them both by absorbing their good magic, but Necrolai used the last of her dark magic to revive them. By all appearances, this didn't seem to have anything to do with the Morphin Grid (since it wouldn't be until Operation Overdrive that it would be mentioned again for the first time since the Zordon Era) even when taking the later retcons into account. This makes their deaths and revivals seem kinda like outliers as I sincerely doubt Necrolai had any kind of power that could tap into the Morphin Grid and bring them back from it. I guess in this case, we just have to roll with the old saying "It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense" and not think too much about Daggeron and Leanbow's case.

One more cases I wish to explore is that of Alex from Time Force.

For Alex, he was struck down by Ransik while morphed, but then de-morphed and lived long enough to speak his final words to Jen while being held in her arms. He then appeared alive later in the series with the only explanation of "I barely survived Ransik's attack." While he also claims that the future was changing due to the activities of the Time Force Rangers in 2001, what we see of the future throughout the series doesn't seem to have really been affected at all, so I don't believe that his death was undone by changes to the timeline. Instead, I feel like his life was saved simply by Year 3000 medical technology, as when Alex seemingly died in Jen's arms, a team of medics ran to his side and looked like they were about to treat his injuries. And with Alex later confirming he "barely survived" the attack, "barely surviving" is still a form of surviving. So while he likely was dying at the time, the medics got to him quick enough to get him to a hospital and save him before he could fully perish. Jen and the others simply didn't know that Alex had been saved at the last minute.

As for what, then, Alex meant by the future being changed, he was likely talking about changes that would have happened had Frax's Dragontron robot defeated the rangers in 2001. Destroying Dragontron was the whole reason Alex came back in time in the first place, so the successful destruction of that robot prevented the future from being changed.

And as for any other rangers/morphed allies who have died but not come back to life, if they were killed wile morphed, they're probably still in the Grid too. These would be the first Magna Defender, his son Zika, Sky's father from SPD, Jayden and Lauren's father from Samurai, the four other Rafkonian Rangers from Dino Fury, and of course Trini. The Grand Shogun from Super Samurai may have also been died in battle since he (like Kendrix, Zika, and the first Magna Defender) appeared as a Force Ghost to Jayden when he first acquired the Bullzord and Shogun Mode.

Meanwhile, if any rangers/morphed allies simply died from old age, they're probably just normal dead and not inside the Grid.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
SO.

About a month and a half later, and my ZAP Astro Megazord problem seems to be no closer to being resolved. I haven't been able to touch my Christmas present on account of not knowing what I'm going to have to do with it.

Even better, it feels like they're trying to shift the blame for part of this taking so long on to me. I asked a question about returning it back on the 8th, noting that if I can't get a full replacement (they still have them on Hasbro Pulse, by the way), then I'm not interested in sending it back.

They apparently took that to mean they didn't need to reply to me with an answer. "There seems to be correspondence but your customer seems to be the one that is not interested in continuing it." I've received nothing from them since then.

And remember when sending something back to them due to a defect or whatever would usually land you something from a higher price point? Well, apparently that's no longer the case. "The policy of “equal or lesser value” is standard."

And after seeing what happened to Sciflyer over in the TF forum, I guess Hasbro is just okay with basically stealing from their customers now.

The vendor, to their credit, is still trying to work something out, but I knew this was going to go poorly as soon as I knew Hasbro would be involved in the process.

Still hoping that something gets worked out, but I don't think Hasbro is going to be a part of it. And if it doesn't, I hope they find my Astro Megazord's sword anyway, so they can shove it straight up their candy asses. (Yes, I've got The Rock on the brain. It's been hard not to lately.)

This is pissing me off to no end.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
With Linkara having finally reached the end of History of Powers Rangers (save for the last few revised versions of his older ones from the Blip years that he still has to finish redoing for YouTube's standards), a new retrospective series has only just begun.

ConorTheWaffle started taking a look the series a few months back and so far has completed the entire Zordon Era, from Mighty Morphin to In Space. And while there are inevitably some similarities between the two, his approach is a bit different from Linkara's in that he takes a look at every single episode individually (albeit, briefly) instead of just summarizing each season as a whole.

Though, like Linkara, he dropped off the series after In Space as a kid, and so will be entering whole new territory should he continue into Lost Galaxy and beyond. But that remains to be seen since he only planned to cover the Zordon Era in this retrospective, and didn't expect these videos to be as popular as they were, so he's definitely considering going further.

Here are all of the ones he has covered thus far:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This popped up in my Recommendations.

MintBari has produced what is intended to be the definitive Beginner's Guide for getting into Power Rangers. While all of the stuff he talks about his nothing new to us long-timers, he gives a pretty good overview of the show's history and the franchise as a whole, educating newcomers on where and how to start with the series.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This is really impressive. A full 3D-printed movie-accurate version of the Ninja Falcon Megazord based directly on its unique CGI design from MMPR: The Movie.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
The longer Boom runs their MMPR comic the less it could ever be fit into the original canon, and I’m ok with that. Darkest Hour is turning into another Shattered Grid with the teams crossing over. I can’t imagine a reality shift wiping their memories will happen again, so how does Boom go forward with an MMPR team fully aware of future teams and other dimensions? The Coinless/Drakkon dimension has been a part of the Boom comics since day one so other dimensional teams really isn’t an issue.

But the latest issue brings
Dino Thunder into the fray, which brings in the Black Ranger Tommy. So while I feel like it’s less of an issue for DT Tommy, as he always felt like he knew more than he should’ve at the beginning of the series, the current Boom MMPR Tommy will potentially meet his future self this time. Granted this possibility is negated for the moment with Boom Tommy being held captive by Mistress Vile and DT Tommy only shown in Reefside for a panel yet.

Yet comes the Paradox of how much the Boom Team will know. The easy thing is to finally admit it itself is a splinter dimension and roll on however they want. There’s too much disconnect with all they have introduced to say it’s any form of the original series timeline. Then you run the risk of alienating some of the fanbase that wants it all to fit similar to the Legend of Zelda timeline. At some point there is no way to ideally fit it into what came before.

For the moment though Boom is trying to play with so much that the Rangers shouldn’t know at this point in context to the original that without a memory wipe it just would never work.

But I’d be lying to say I don’t enjoy the heck out of them playing in more than their corner of the sandbox. Heck at this point I want them to cross dimensions with Zyuranger but that would be crossing the streams beyond what is normally allowed I would think.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Actually, they've stated that the timeline altered after getting repaired after Shattered Grid, so they ARE separate universes now...technically. I think they're kind of trying to have their cake and eat it too, in this situation. Sticking close enough to the original continuity that it...mostly works if you squint and ignore a few things. But, still have it be technically different so they aren't beholden to the original TV show continuity. That way the causal fans can believe that it counts, but the detail-oriented nerds know this is probably ACTUALLY a alternate timeline.

screen-shot-2018-08-29-at-8-41-58-am.png

Heck at this point I want them to cross dimensions with Zyuranger but that would be crossing the streams beyond what is normally allowed I would think.
Well, there is that one episode of Dino Thunder where they watch a episode of Abaranger, the Super Sentai version of the show they're adapting. So, it's not impossible. But, I would think that would require Hasbro to pay Toei something for the use of the characters in a different medium, so...they're probably not going to do that when Hasbro's trying to make Power Rangers it's OWN thing now, without relying on the Sentai footage.

It would be cool, though. I'd buy that mini. Have them cross over with Dairanger and Kakuranger while they're at it! I mean, all those seasons are on DVD now. People have access to those shows.

But, yeah, the Darkest Hour event is starting to play with ALL the toys, and it's getting pretty fun. Which is kind of fitting since...this might be where the Boom Comics really start to split off from the source material? So far, they've been following the 3 seasons of Mighty Morphin pretty closely. "Season 1" capped off with Shattered Grid. "Season 2" ended with the Eltarian War. And it seems like "Season 3" is probably going to end with Darkest Hour. Which means we probably SHOULD move on to Zeo...if Boom actually thought that would sell.

So, I'm not sure what Boom has planned after this LONG event is actually over. Will we actually move on and adapt Zeo, since it's the next in the timeline? Will they just keep MIghty Morphin going forever? Will they try to shift the focus over to something more self contained like Ranger Academy? Or will Hasbro end it so that Boom can focus on promoting whatever the next new thing is? I honestly don't know.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well this feels like Booms third season or so sure, but we still haven't gotten to the Ninja Powers or Zords yet. If anything this would still be equivalent to pre Zedd and Rita Marriage season 2. There's still fun to play around with MMPR yet.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Fair point. I guess the trade off to Rocky, Adam, and Aisha just makes me think of season 3? Even though that happened in the middle of season 2. Blame a foggy memory, I guess.

Although, I don't know if they're ever going to do the marriage in the comics. They might try to avoid that whole...situation.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Well, there is that one episode of Dino Thunder where they watch a episode of Abaranger, the Super Sentai version of the show they're adapting. So, it's not impossible.
Man, you have no idea how hyped I was about that episode back when it first came out, as all the commercials for it on ABC Family made me think it was going to be a legit Power Rangers/Super Sentai crossover with the Dino Thunder Rangers and the Abarangers teaming up together for an episode.

What we got I still enjoyed (with Abaranger being presented in-universe as a Japanese TV show based on the world-famous Power Rangers), but it was far from the big event I was hoping it would be.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Thats the only episode of Dino Thunder I ever saw. Just happened to catch it some morning while on vacation or something.

Top Bottom