Pixar’s Starcom toys aka Lightyear toys

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I wasn’t planning to start a thread about toys for the upcoming Pixar film Lightyear. We all assumed there would be toys, obviously. The usual stuff like a big feature figure, a 5 inch “XL” series that features some cross play features, Imaginext…the usual movie tie in stuff.

But I didn’t expect the Hyperspeed Series. Sporting 1.5” figures (probably a little smaller than real Starcom figures), the line is basically built around roughly 6” space fighters.
And they are GLORIOUS! Most look like they stepped out a 90s scrolling shooter, and the figures, obviously, give me STRONG Starcom vibes. Even though most shown are variations of Buzz, the deco on each is different enough. And the dropship pack points to more bad guy offerings as well.

They will go GREAT with my Starlink Arwing….

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
Oh my word. I’m so freaking buying some of these.

I still have most of my Starcom stuff and I’m super excited about that.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm going to stay away from buying in but I definitely see some birthday purchases for some nephews coming.

Dake

Citizen
Those are pretty cool. I have all the Starlink ships (most of which I bought on clearance - which is why they stopped making them I guess), and these might be a little smaller, but not by much I imagine and should make great additions to the armada!

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Toys are starting to dribble out to retail, but toy distributors like Entertainment Earth have started their preorders with estimated release between May and July, with a few odd items in September. Looks like June is when they expect to get a majority of the line’s items. Note that the toys MAY feature spoilers from the film.
However, Target is already starting to take orders for some items with delivery expected by the end of the week.

For us burgeoning Hyperspeed fans, both venues give good looks at two new offerings for the micro figure segment:
Zurg’s Starfighter with figure (standing a ”mighty” 2 and a half inches!). $20.99
The Armadillo, a heavy duty transport featuring both Izzy and Buzz. $24.99. I’m suspecting there might be future Hyperspeed offerings that will integrate with this one.

And here’s the broad “structure” for the line for you actual parents and/or collectors:
Core Class is the basic 5” action figure line. Available on standard blister cards. There will be a 10” Zurg figure that seems intended to compliment this scale, as well as an 8” Zyclops. Will also be compatible with a scale version of the XL-15. Also available will be a deluxe “Mission Equipped” Buzz Lightyear figure with additional accessories.
Alpha Class seems to be a more “collector centric” line scaling in the 7” range with more detail and accessories compared to the 5 and 12” lines.
The 12” line is…the cheap 12” line. Both a “Space Ranger” assortment and a Zurg/Zyclops assortment will be offered with the villains being a bit bulkier. One of the premium offerings is a Buzz with removable space ranger gear. Oddly, there will be a “deluxe” 12” Buzz which looks the same as a basic 12” offering…except more paint and articulation? I’m confused by that one.
Sox is getting his own deluxe plush (obviously)
Plus a deluxe 12” feature laden Buzz.

The actual quality of the figures looks pretty solid as well, in addition to offering a surprising diverse selection of characters. I can remember the days when Mattel would crap out a line with a villain and a dozen hero variants. While the Hero variants are here, it feels like they are actually making an attempt to cover the OTHER characters besides Sox.
It’s especially surprising given how Hasbro’s been handling a lot of its lines as of late.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
So…some updates. My local Walmart put out Lightyear toys over the weekend. Probably because I never had any, I don’t think they’re “Starcom scale”. But the scale on the figures/vehicles is damn near spot on to the old Galoob Action Fleeat. Seriously, if I could find my old Action Fleet X-wing they could sit side by side without any glaring issues.

I snagged the XL02. To me, it was more evocative of the esoteric shmups like Layer Section and Raiden, compared to the more traditional “space fighter” look to the XL01 and XL15 (which seem to be the two “star vehicles” given how much merch is dedicated to them. XL02 and XL07 might not even make it into the film).
It is shockingly well done. The micro Buzz is well deco’ed, probably on par (or maybe a bit below) of my memories of AF X-Wing Luke. The chest harness is well detailed with multiple colors used, and they painted the gloves, boots, and shoulder pads with the visor painted a sky blue. For this scale, what’s here is good, though it’s clear the back of the figure was NOT a painting priority. He’s sporting a whopping 4 points of articulation, at the shoulders and hips (simple swivels only).

The ship itself is also well done, though clearly there were prioritizations with the deco. They did do a solid job getting paint on the frames of the canopy. While there is a lack of detail work aside from the unit markings, it’s all “good enough”. What surprised me, though, was how SOLID this thing felt in hand. There’s obviously no die cast used in construction, but there is some DEFINITE density to this toy. I don’t know if I’ve gotten used to Hasbro’s cost cutting or what, but it was quite surprising to handle a toy that FELT like something a kid could bash around with…and the toy would survive intact. Even the winglets are nicely solid instead of some sort of “gummy plastic”. It has a trio of landing gear that fold out and have a satisfying “lock” when fully extended. The underside is unpainted, in keeping with the figure’s method of “what you look at most” getting the priority on deco, but again, it doesn’t feel like anything is glaringly “undone”. There’s a large port that appears to be for accessories being produced in other sets. The Amazon 2 pack, for example, has a large cannon that uses the port to connect to. I’m a bit disappointed there aren’t, seemingly, any plans for a stand of some sort.

Again, actually in hand, I’m REALLY impressed with quality of product Mattel has delivered here. There are clearly some Action Fleet fans who got involved with the Lightyear project, and we are profiting handsomely for it. It’s an unabashed toy made to be “good enough” and delivered pretty much anything you could reasonably ask for in an “Action Fleet” style product. The only “kid concern” might be the figure, who is damn near the same size as a 500mg Extra Strength Tylenol tablet.

I’m probably going to end up with more of these. The XL07 has that stubby look that reminds me of the like of Vulgus and other early shmups. The Armadillo transport is interesting as is Zurg’s star fighter, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there are other, non-space things, that make into this scale. Mattel has thrown down a heck of a gauntlet for Jazzwars to live up to later this year with the Micro Galaxy Squadrons line they’re delivering for Star Wars.

And a note on figures: The Crystal Collection appear to be Walmart exclusive. Compared to the general Core class, I think the Crystal series is worth the extra couple of dollars. They seem to have more paint, extra accessories (in particular, each comes with the appropriate “bubble” along with a fuel cell) and I think the two dollar difference is warranted here. There are some accessories (like a hand held scanner and the fuel cells) which don’t appear on deck with any other figure (as of now).

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Entertainment Earth has posted new preorders for more Lightyear stuff. Mattel is doing a shockingly nifty job with this line.
For the 5" fans, an iteration of the Armadillo Transport will be available, along with a Star Command Base
From the description, sounds like the Command Base will be an upscaled and re-stylized interpretation of the Imaginext Command base.

For the Hyperspeed series, Zurg's Mothership is getting a release and the description implies there might be some interplay with the drop pods that appeared in wave 1.
Also posted are listings (and a dollar price increase) for the XL-09 and XL-14
No images for any of the new stuff.

evanrue

Citizen
Hi all, collected the currently available crafts in the Hyperspeed series and you are right; these are durable, high quality toys on par if not better than the old Galoob MicroMachines Action Fleet series (compared in the last photo).
Can’t wait for the Armadillo and any future releases in the series.
E4AA6647-A573-4182-9A8B-18C41F166829.jpeg

BDC7627A-3249-477F-9A1C-B1FBC7287329.jpeg

BBA219FE-818B-4886-A3BA-1BD8F1C6A7A1.jpeg

5E45F3DB-BFCB-4C03-B3DC-CA43297753CB.jpeg

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Very cool little ships. Reminiscent of the old Wing Commander games (at least for us old people.) I saw these on the shelf at Walmart and was tempted, but I decided i didn't need to start collecting anything new. As a kid, I would have been all over these.

evanrue

Citizen
Here’s the pilot figures comparison. Unfortunately, the Buzz figures are too big to fit in the Action Fleet cockpit. But if you imagine the Buzz spacesuit to be bulkier than the Rebel’s, you can see them at almost the same scale 😅

5FDB477A-52E1-4D2D-977F-EBF88AABC8EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
The Zyklops drop pods are a little disappointing, in that only one of them actually opens automatically and neither of them stands up well when closed. The cockpits of the ships don't always like to stay closed, so QC is a little dodgy compared to Action Fleet.

---Dave

evanrue

Citizen
The Zyklops drop pods are a little disappointing, in that only one of them actually opens automatically and neither of them stands up well when closed. The cockpits of the ships don't always like to stay closed, so QC is a little dodgy compared to Action Fleet.

---Dave
Agree, the zyclops pods set is a disappointment. Should have made both pods pop-able.
As for the cockpits, I think the pilot figures are just too big. They do close adequately when the figures are pushed in. On the other hand, the Action Fleet pilots are small and rattle a lot in the AF vehicles closed cockpits.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
I’m part of the club now. Yesterday I ordered the Amazon two pack and Zurg fighter - they should arrive tomorrow. But after a bad day today, I wound up at Target and they had a bunch in stock. I grabbed the 07, the Zurg Pods, and the Armadillo.

I’m really liking these. Action Fleets and Starcom were two of my favorite toys as a kid, and these hit most of the buttons for both. The only thing I can say negative is a lack of features, especially in the Armadillo. It comes with a cannon that can plug into the back gangway, but there’s no good way to store it in there - had it popped out automatically or something it would have been phenomenal. Otherwise I really like these and I can see myself buying a bunch.

One note is that the 07 appears to have a plug - for a stand maybe? What stand would be used?

Dvandom

Citizen
All of the XL ships have flight base sockets, none come with flight bases. Maybe they were planned but cut at some point for cost reasons.

---Dave

evanrue

Citizen
If I’m not mistaken, the plug holes at the bottom of the XLs are for the gun attachment. The XL15 and XL01 two-pack set comes with those guns. The individual packs do not.

Master Fwiffo

Citizen
So I have the whole first wave! Well, sort of. The x1 and x15 are the Amazon Two-pack, and I don’t think there’s much a reason to get the repeat molds, especially as the X15 looks to be completely unchanged.
7DB8F736-1644-4831-9CD2-8F8F44561E62.jpeg

My favorite is Zurgs Fighter. It’s so bulky and purple and fun. Plus it’s aesthetic hits the Emperor Dark from Starcom beats really well.

58C57E55-D5B5-4A00-A321-CE44E6E130C3.jpeg

I love my spaceships, especially at this scale. It’s hard to find spaceships at the Action Fleet scale, which I think is just about the perfect size for spaceships to be.

9ED46906-3238-4385-A3BC-661C3DF0B3CC.jpeg

But man, these are just so perfectly Action Fleet. Look at these.
47E9853A-77CE-4E2C-9CD5-2FCFE95BD9E1.jpeg
32E36E24-08B3-4107-BCAD-6D811F40FCAA.jpeg
5719B6F6-044F-4B23-A8C1-BFECE31AE783.jpeg

So good. So all in all I love the line. I think my least favorite though is the Armadillo. Some better integration with the cannon would have helped. All the fighters are wonderful, and everything is just so fun!
7C78B1D7-9893-40A4-B4EF-32FFBA5C91C4.jpeg

Top Bottom