Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup, Putin doesn't care one lick about any of the grunts on the ground as long as he gets his glory. The Russian oligarchs who keep him in power, though, may tire of his antics and arrange for him to be replaced, or at least one can hope.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They'd probably just replace him with someone even worse. If there are people even higher up on the ladder than he is, he's probably doing what he's doing because it's exactly what they want.

Nevermore

Citizen
And just as NATO is mobilizing its forces, it becomes blatantly apparant that the current German military is about as healthy as a rotten steak.

On a more positive note, I would like to say that this war is going absolutely terribly for Russia on the propaganda front. US officials had no qualms making public predictions of his every move, thereby repeatedly proving his attemps at downplaying the situation a blatant lie. A lot of his attempts to sow distrust among Western nations have just evaporated once he made his big move.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Some bold Russians took to the streets and protested against the invasion of Ukraine.

Obviously, they were quickly arrested.
I don't know whether to "like" your post, and risk looking like I'm happy about the news, or be seen as sympathising with the poor Russians who are now incarcerated...

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
The ex-Comedian turned President of Ukraine has been seen pretty much daily on the streets, in the open.
Putin hasn't been seen in public since Monday.

Bunker Bitch 2.0

Nevermore

Citizen
Man. Just to think. After so many years of propaganda troll campaigns to promote the Russian version of things, to see all of that just turn to dust and have the West, among which Putin has spent so much effort into sowing dissent, turn so unilaterally against Russia. Even prominent members of the German Left Party, which has wasted so many years arguing in favor of "legitimate Russian interests" and criticizing the United States and NATO, are suddenly coming to their senses.

Bravo, Putin. You've succeeded at making people who have been defending you turn on you. Bravo.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Frankly, I'm surprised at how quickly his supporters were willing to turn on him. I suspect he was just as drunk on the choir boy praise (as in, completely without balls.) the american right wing spouted and are still spouting.

But honestly, what did he expect? You can't win a battle of morale against a comedian.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
And to give you another idea of how bad things are going for Putin, I've heard there's talk in Russia now from their PM about re-instituting the -death penalty-, and seizing the property of foreigners and double citizens. Not to mention after the Facebook blocks, they're also trying to block Twitter now as well because they can't control it.

Also hearing from several sources that Russia's running low on ammunition and potentially considering instituting a draft. They definitely expected a blitzkreig and did not get that.

Cybersnark

Citizen
It's actually kind of stunning how badly this invasion has gone. I mean, even his enemies all agreed Putin was a dangerous and careful mastermind, but this whole offensive looks like it was put together by a baboon. Even disregarding Ukraine's response, reports I'm seeing suggest that Russian intelligence was unprepared, their morale was shaky to begin with, and, most bafflingly, their logistical plan was flat-out nonexistent.

This was planned to be a WWII-style blitzkrieg, and it's turned into a WWI-style cavalry charge. From all accounts, they've suffered heavier casualties in 48 hours than the US did in 8 years in Iraq, and whatever Putin thinks, Russia likely doesn't have the kind of reserves to eat that (either militarily or economically).

The real danger here is that Putin's wounded pride will lead him to start lobbing warheads around.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
He wanted the cold war back, and now there's the very real threat of nuclear armageddon: so yeah, welcome back cold war. You weren't missed and we never liked you.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I sometimes wonder if the rumors that he's been diagnosed with a terminal disease are true and this is his attempt to go out in a blaze of glory instead of a prolonged death in a hospital bed. He got one thing right, He WILL be remembered, but not the way I think he wanted to be.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
It's also not lost on me that the Republicans who've actually mustered the "courage" to condemn Putin are just opportunists making political hay out of Biden not being more heavy-handed, knowing full well that him doing so would risk a major escalation.

It's easy to talk tough when you're not the one sitting in the big chair.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Sigh... so at what point can we just stop listening to the right at all and get on with our lives?

Teufel

Citizen
This is actually pretty big. Germany had been holding up weapons to Ukraine from other countries. Not only have they started to allow those, they're promising their own.

Link

Germany on Saturday reversed a historic policy of never sending weapons to conflict zones, saying the Russian invasion of Ukraine was an epochal moment that imperiled the entire post-World War II order across Europe.

The decision was an abrupt change in course, coming after Berlin clung to its initial position for weeks despite the rising Russian menace and pressure from EU and NATO allies.

On Saturday, Berlin finally bowed to that pressure, and to the reality that Russia is encircling Ukrainian cities and threatening to topple the government in Kyiv.

From its own stockpile, the German government will send 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft defense systems to Ukraine. The government has also authorized the Netherlands to send Ukraine 400 rocket-propelled grenade launchers and told Estonia it ship over send nine howitzers.

“The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point,” German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said in a statement. “It threatens our entire post-war order. In this situation, it is our duty to do our utmost to support Ukraine in defending itself against Vladimir Putin’s invading army. Germany stands closely by Ukraine’s side.”

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
I sometimes wonder if the rumors that he's been diagnosed with a terminal disease are true and this is his attempt to go out in a blaze of glory instead of a prolonged death in a hospital bed. He got one thing right, He WILL be remembered, but not the way I think he wanted to be.
yeah, instead he's going out with a wet fart

Top Bottom