Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Wow! This is so obvious, I'm shocked I missed it the first time.
8F2AEA7E-90CC-46F1-A357-6117EA335D37.png

673BC584-8A6C-4040-BFD7-649EE3BED15E.png

31809BD9-8AC0-4581-B091-E4EA25C027B7.png

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I’ll admit that I don’t have a finger on the “pulse” of the TMNT fandom, but…

What’s the deal with the recent reissues? Something to keep Playmates still in the running for the license? They’ve solicited new runs for the vintage 80s Turtles (along with the Van and Blimp) and Walmart got, of all things, a set of reissue 2012 Turtle figures.

I’m just curious what’s with Playmates doing this stuff all of a sudden.

Caldwin

Citizen
I've only seen them at Walmart, and only the four turtles. I really hadn't questioned it. NECA are doing TMNT toys. Super 7 are doing toys. Playmates might as well take their piece of the pie.

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
*also Googles*

Wow, their Shredder is everything I wanted in a Shredder figure when I was eight.

That's pretty nice looking.

~L~

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Huh. Those aren't bad. Headscultps seem kinda off for some reason, though. But, there always was a lot of variation on how the '87 Turtles heads could look.

Caldwin

Citizen
I feel like this would've blown the doors off an airplane hanger if this were the next Turtles book published by Eastman and Laird after Mirage issue 11.
There would've been nothing like it, no precedent, it would've stunned everybody.

Now, after so many stories, so many dystopian futures and alternative worlds, this is just another dark possible future where the Turtles have failed to protect their own and it us up to one remaining hero to save the day.

I just hope there will be something in the finale to distinguish this from being another Same As It Never Was.

I just wanted to go back to this for a second. I think the big deal is that this was actually written by Eastman. This isn't some Fred Wolf/Archie/Image/4Kids/Nickelodeon thing. This is the brainchild of Kevin hugging Eastman. So there's that.

I know, I know, once it's out in hardcover nobody will remember the delays, or so they say.

Well, I do remember it has been an exceptionally long time, even longer since the first issue was delayed because it all had to be totally redrawn after Andy Khun left the project and the Escorza brothers were brought on board.

~L~
I'm not going to defend this, because it frustrates me too. But I will say, from what I've heard (because I wasn't collecting at the time) historically Eastman and Laird were never good with deadlines. The Mirage comics they wrote came out whenever the hell they came out. So...yay for historical accuracy?

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
I just wanted to go back to this for a second. I think the big deal is that this was actually written by Eastman. This isn't some Fred Wolf/Archie/Image/4Kids/Nickelodeon thing. This is the brainchild of Kevin hugging Eastman. So there's that.

You're right, being written by Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz counts for something.
It's not just being churned out by some shmoe, it's being written by the same writing duo who gave us the first 100 issues of the IDW comics run.

I think this might be more of a "me" problem, maybe I feel a kind of guilt because I don't love The Last Ronin as much as others seem to.

My buddy, Kev, is super-invested, buying four copies of every issue and a copy of every single reprint, so he's on the other end of the spectrum, he thinks it's the best thing since sliced pizza.

It's good, when it's not spinning its wheels, but it just isn't living up to the hype for me.

Whether you agree or disagree, your opinion is just as valid as mine and I have no intent to diminish anybody else's personal opinion.

I'm not going to defend this, because it frustrates me too. But I will say, from what I've heard (because I wasn't collecting at the time) historically Eastman and Laird were never good with deadlines. The Mirage comics they wrote came out whenever the hell they came out. So...yay for historical accuracy?

"If it's not late, it's not a Mirage book," according to Peter Laird in the letters column of Mirage TMNT #15.
True to TMNT's Mirage origins The Last Ronin comes out whenever the hell it comes out.

I've also heard it said "strike when the iron's hot." After generating so much anticipation months ahead of the intended release date, and with so much lead time you would think that these professionals would be able to adhere to a generous bi-monthly schedule.

Each issue, from 2 onwards, has four pencilers contributing their talents and still the book is consistently late.

I don't quit comics because they get delayed, but I do acknowledge how delays impact enthusiasm and momentum.
I haven't even read issue 4 yet, because the long delays have sapped my enthusiasm so I'll get to it when issue 5 is available.

That's quite a step down from The Last Ronin issue 1 being at the top of my reading list.

~L~

EDIT: Gave proper acknowledgment to Peter Laird quote.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Careful with Fugitoid if that's the original 80's version. He can become brittle, least the one I had from when I was a kid had his arm snap off.

Caldwin

Citizen
Oh! Oh dear! Thanks for the heads up. In that case I may want to see if I can get my hands on something more recent and sturdy.

Caldwin

Citizen
I actually didn't know that about Fugitoid until after I took the picture and saw a YouTube vid.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Fugitoid was one my old 80’s toys. Had both him and the original Metalhead toys. Figures some of my Favorite TMNT figures were robots and the Turtle that did machines.

Top Bottom