Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'll watch it. As many times as they've crossed over in comics, toons and toys, they might as well be the same franchise...the original non-turtle Usagi comics are well worth reading.

In other news, this is one of those rare 3-paychec-months and I decided to be real nice to myself tonight. I splurged just a bit.

98073710-F806-4170-AED0-E53A06A452AA.jpeg

playmates Leo/Rock I found at Walmart. The NECA's I found at Target.

A1C29E3D-0196-46F9-9BAE-B59BB9583E57.jpeg

I mostly got this one for Rat King. I honestly couldn't care less for Vernon. So I guess there was an episode where Vernon was turned into a rat? I think I'll keep him like this at least until Kitty April arrives So I can get a pic. I actually like Mirage Rat King more than Fred Wolf Rat King. But I guess you get what you can get. And really, Fred Wolf didn't stray far from the original design. So that's good.

5283B697-DC19-4D53-A54D-6FB7040FF291.jpeg

That is just a whole lotta stupid right there.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yep, there is an Episode where the Rat King realizes he's got a lost canister of Mutagen and after failing previously to control Splinter thinks to make his own Rat people minions. And Vernon and Irma just happened to be in the sewers. But the Mutagen was unstable and they would shift back and forth from Rat to normal throughout the episode. I just watched it about 2 weeks ago.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
"Yuichi Usagi"...

Having never actually looked it up, I always thought that "Miyamoto" was Usagi's surname and that everyone was just speaking full name in Japanese "surname first, given name second" format.

The Turtles referring to him as "Usagi" so casually in both the 2003 and 2012 cartoons made me think that that was his given name rather than his surname.

Caldwin

Citizen
Archie and IDW have proven you can take characters from Fred Wolf that are completely cringe and ineffective buffoons, keep the core of who the characters are and arrive with something actually cool.

Bebop and Rocksteady may have been complete camp figures in the cartoon they originated from, but when it comes to the Arcade Game, the comics [mutters under his breath]Out of the Shadows[/ mutters under his breath]...they're still idiots, but they're actually a legit threat and pretty awesome.

That's why I'm not worried about them introducing Venus into the comics. I never did watch Next Mutation when I had the chance on Netflix. But I understand Venus met with a bit of derision. But I don't think she'll be bad at all in the IDW comic. They've done good so far with normally bad characters.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Yeah the IDW mini series Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything was a delightfully chaotic romp with our 2 favorite buffoons! The sequel to it was good too but not as fun I felt.

Caldwin

Citizen
781D0384-A03F-485B-9562-92885E8EB94A.jpeg

They give you one opaque box to heighten the anticipation. Ohh, feel that electric charge quivering all over your body!

B034C061-98FF-4BE5-8CAD-EC0B92718862.jpeg

Oh, another box! Wait for it. WAAAAAAIT...FOOOOOOOOR...IIIIIIIIIIT!

884C91AD-24E2-4823-AAD9-C5C0CFEB3CE5.jpeg

Time to pay for your crimes, you little pukes!

To me, Elias Koteas will always be best Casey. But this Super 7 still looks far more awesome than I thought it woul.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
That's why I'm not worried about them introducing Venus into the comics. I never did watch Next Mutation when I had the chance on Netflix. But I understand Venus met with a bit of derision. But I don't think she'll be bad at all in the IDW comic. They've done good so far with normally bad characters.
Venus in Next Mutation...was a bit cliche, but really the biggest problem was all the boys fighting over her all the time, her personality was...tolerable, really. Really, Venus's biggest sin was just kind of unfortunately becoming the face of Next Mutation.

In the comics...I'm not sure where they're going, now. Is she...basically going to be a robot/Pinocchio kind of thing, where she's new to the world? Or is she going to end up having someone else's personality? Or is she some sort of Turtle-Hunter? I guess we'll see where they're going with this.

Having never actually looked it up, I always thought that "Miyamoto" was Usagi's surname and that everyone was just speaking full name in Japanese "surname first, given name second" format.

Actually...in the comics, I think his "family name" is Miyamoto and his "personal name" is Usagi. His father is called Magistrate Miyamoto. And his name is based on Miyamoto Musashi (who's family name IS Miyamoto). And other characters in the comics also follow the "Family Name then Personal Name" trend, like Murakami Gennosuke. I assume they just wanted to keep Usagi in there for the pun and name recognition (Usagi means rabbit).

I feel like Stan Sakai's addressed this before...but I have no idea where.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Actually...in the comics, I think his "family name" is Miyamoto and his "personal name" is Usagi. His father is called Magistrate Miyamoto. And his name is based on Miyamoto Musashi (who's family name IS Miyamoto). And other characters in the comics also follow the "Family Name then Personal Name" trend, like Murakami Gennosuke. I assume they just wanted to keep Usagi in there for the pun and name recognition (Usagi means rabbit).

I feel like Stan Sakai's addressed this before...but I have no idea where.
So basically, Usagi's cousin is also named "Usagi", just with a different surname.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Venus in Next Mutation...was a bit cliche, but really the biggest problem was all the boys fighting over her all the time, her personality was...tolerable, really. Really, Venus's biggest sin was just kind of unfortunately becoming the face of Next Mutation.
This was my wife's takeaway, albeit from watching Phelous's reviews of the series.

But yeah, I've long stood behind the idea that in the right hands... I really want to see Dragon Lord back, same concept, but not written for buffoonish cartoon slapstick.

Unfortunately...

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Japanese tend to place Surnames first, so no; they have the same Surname.
Their names are "Miyamoto Usagi" and "Yuichi Usagi", and ZakuConvoy just said that "Miyamoto" is the former Usagi's surname, meaning "Yuichi" would be the surname of the latter Usagi, so no not the same surname.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Actually, I get the feeling that Yuichi Usagi is using "Personal Name then Family Name", since Yuichi is more typically a Personal name than a Family name in Japan.

...So, that would mean one Usagi is using Usagi as a Personal name and the other Usagi is using it as a Family name. If I'm even close to being right about any of this.

...Somehow, I get the feeling we're thinking about his more than the writers did. I kind of want a entire skit in the show explaining this, "Who's on First"-style.

Caldwin

Citizen
I always figured Miyamoto was the only part that was part of his actual name and people was just calling him by his profession (rabbit bodyguard).

Top Bottom