Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Shadewing

Citizen
So this week I managed to watch Mutant Mayhem and the two Bay Movies; so I've no offically seen ever major version of the Turtles.

Mutant Mayhem: There's stuff in this I like, and stuff that I don't.... and they balance out completely to leave me completely luke warm on this. This is for all intents and purposes, my least favorite turtle project; but since we're getting a tv series and a sequel, I'll see if this gets better. But for me, so much of this movie feels kinda forced. Also I can't get past Donnie's voice here. This is also offically my least favorite Splinter. Superfly however is one of the better parts of this movie and I kinda wish he'd be a reoccurring antagonist. He'd make an interesting 'Anti-Splinter'. Though I feel like they needed to tone down the mutants in this film, since they're almost just back ground characters. But hey, we got a new Wingnut and that's great; but then I am biased towards bat characters.

Bay Movies: The first one is probably second favorite turtles movie, if I'm being honest. I don't love the designs of the turtles; but the personalities are on spot. I mostly like this take on the origin story, where we get April having a deeper connection with them. I wouldn't want it being a permeant change; but it works well imo. I also enjoy how she's kinda the main character, which works well with her being the audience surrogate. Seeing Whoopi Goldberg in this feel weird, I don't know why. It's not a perfect movie, but I think overall it has the right feel and spirit for a Live Action movie. Also interesting to see how a lot of elements of these movies get recycled into other stuff. Like Rise Donnie is pretty much Bay Donnie in design; tech bo and backpack, being constantly connected to technology. Also this seems to be the start of Raph wearing a full bandana rather then just mask.

Out of the Shadows: Okay, this is easily my favorite incarnation of Baxter in the entire franchise; I love his whole 'evil Neil DeGrasse Tyson' vibe. It's the biggest part of my being disappointed there wasn't a 3rd movie. He's just a joy in every scene he's in. That said, I do feel this is the weaker movie of the two; and feels like it would have been better as a season of a TV show. There's so much going on, that nothing really has time to breath. Krang is basically a hi then bye character. Maybe that would have changed with a sequel, but eh... he's just not that interesting here. He kinda just exists to move the plot and give the movie a final fight. No character or anything really. Rocksteady and Bebop are done really well imo, they are the right blend of stupid and effective. It's kinda weird to see Stephen Amell as Casey Jones, and a bit disappointed he never uttered a 'Goongala'. But it works and its interesting seeing him as a Cop.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Don't you mean Groundchuck him?

(If I had a nickel for every cyborg bull-man who appeared in a children's cartoon, I'd have TWO nickels...which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Don't you mean Groundchuck him?

(If I had a nickel for every cyborg bull-man who appeared in a children's cartoon, I'd have TWO nickels...which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.)
I get it, but no. I meant that Bulba was blown up/"killed" at the end of the origin episode/movie, and was revived later as a cyborg.

Flyborg?

Superflyborg?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I forgot about that. I think if he had returned in a later episode (same with Negaduck) I’d have remembered him more.
His episode was the big hour-long Darkwing Duck special in Season 3. It introduced the new Gosalyn and brought back Quackerjack, Megavolt, Liquidator, and Bushroot from the original show. Scrooge and the boys even got zapped across dimensions into the original DuckTales universe. It was a whole thing.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I got this today from Amazon. I really lost track of the release date. I knew I preordered it but I was completely surprised to come home tonight to find it had already been delivered.

IMG_2782.jpeg

I like the weapons. I'll probably display it with the katana in one hand and one of the scythes in the other. The alt-head is nice, but I'm too scared to try to pop the other one off.

IMG_2783.jpeg

Size comparison with my other BST AXN Shredder.

IMG_2784.jpeg

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Glad to see those are marketedly larger than the previous BST AXN releases.

Hows the plastic feel? The previous ones I saw in the store looked like they had a really cheap feeling plastic (never held one, so its clearly my bias)

Caldwin

Citizen
I absolutely agree. That's why it took me a while before I bought my first BST AXN figure.

A link to when I got my first BST AXN figure. When it comes to the early turtles, the plastic isn't exactly NECA quality. I justified it in my head because you're not paying NECA prices either. But honestly, the plastic wasn't so much a problem. It doesn't feel like the best quality, but neither has it shattered or disintegrated on me. But the molding they used on the turtle itself was chintzy. Like I said in the link above, the turtle completely fell apart on me when I tried to change the head. Subsequent turtles didn't have the same problem on me, but I just saw a review of a 4-pack where the guy almost had the same problem.

But it does feel like BST AXN has improved a bit since then. I still wouldn't call it NECA quality by any means. But it certainly isn't bad at all. The plastigceven feels pretty good on the Shredder. That Krang on the last page is absolutely wonderful.

So they have improved. Like I said, they're not on the level of NECA or Super 7. But then again, they're not asking NECA or Super 7 prices. So I'm actually pretty happy with this.

I haven't checked out any of the IDW turtles though. I may check them out next payday. But until I can actually get my hands on them, I have to say my glowing recommendation is strictly for the Shredder and Krang.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
More MOTU/Turtle reveals with the back of the package:

Teela and a surprise pack in Build-A-Figure.

-ZacWilliam, like that build figure combo

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
More MOTU/Turtle reveals with the back of the package:

Teela and a surprise pack in Build-A-Figure.

-ZacWilliam, like that build figure combo
...I hate this.

I literally hate this.

There are only two characters I tend to collect from either series, and that's Metalhead and Roboto. And now I can't get either here without buying the rest of the damn line?!

I hate this.

Shadewing

Citizen
...I hate this.

I literally hate this.

There are only two characters I tend to collect from either series, and that's Metalhead and Roboto. And now I can't get either here without buying the rest of the damn line?!

I hate this.

Well not the rest of the line; He just seems to come with the Deluxe figures; so you only need the 4 of them.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Remember waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back on Page 1 when J's Reviews started his multi-part retrospective series about the 2003 cartoon? Well, now he's started up a brand new multi-part retrospective series for the 2012 cartoon:

Caldwin

Citizen
Speaking of the old toys compared to today's...

IMG_2801.jpeg

I don't know why I never got this as a kid, but I never did. I'm so glad they're doing these rereleases.

IMG_2802.jpeg

While the Ultimates version is really better in every way, you know I'm all about old school.

Top Bottom