Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Got this from Amazon today.
IMG_2633.jpeg

Here he is in his Urban Legends mask.
IMG_2634.jpeg

Nice to have, but I think I prefer his more classic mask.
IMG_2635.jpeg

And here with my other CJ toys.
IMG_2636.jpeg

Caldwin

Citizen
Hmm. That gives me an idea. I should get another Casey Jones and splatter the mask with red paint...really giv it some character.

Caldwin

Citizen
Hih! Looks like the Karai's been taken down. I wonder if they weren't supposed to post that yet and now I know something they don't want us to know yet.

I'm not crazy though.

IMG_2255.jpeg

Caldwin

Citizen
Mutant Mayhem is now available for purchase on Amazon digital. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Caldwin

Citizen
That...so...yeah. I just watched that. And I guess I'll have to live with the knowledge that I watched it. And now I know that it...well...it's totally something that exists now. And I guess I'll just have to live with that too. Sooooo...yeah!

Caldwin

Citizen
Amazon's been acting screwy enough that I honestly don't know if you're joking. That's supposed to be a link to an upcoming Super 7 Karai.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
That...so...yeah. I just watched that. And I guess I'll have to live with the knowledge that I watched it. And now I know that it...well...it's totally something that exists now. And I guess I'll just have to live with that too. Sooooo...yeah!
Whaaaaaa? I've been waiting for other folks' thoughts on Mutant Mayhem. No reactions either way? Hate or love any of the new turtles? Animation? April? Mutanimals?

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, I didn't want to get into spoilers. I just didn't like it. I mean, it's not as bad a the third live action movie (Turtles in Time), but I really can't keep giving a pass because something is slightly better than hot garbage.

I hate what the've done to Splinter. They've taken a wise and loving father figure and turned him into an overbearing bigot. And that little make out session with Scumbug was disgusting.

April...I'm sorry, I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but I have to say it. You know that if/when a character that's always been portrayed as black gets whitewashed, creators will absolutely catch holy hell for it. So it really just pisses me off that we're totally okay with a character that's always been portrayed as white getting blackwashed. Give me hell if you want to, but there's absolutely a double standard. I didn't like it with Rise and I don't like it here.

Also, damn the animation style that started with Into the Spiderverse. I'm usually all for new and inventive styles of animation, but this truly gives me motion sickness.

I'm also not too thrilled with Rocksteady and Bebop suddenly being good guys.

Caldwin

Citizen
I mean, I suppose you could say that if you want. Thing is, I'm not usually given to "they changed it now it sucks" type sentiments.

Splinter was the pet of Hamato Yoshi. Splinter is Hamato Yoshi. Dark, gritty and bloody comic. Light hearted kids show. Campy Adam West Batman. Edgy Tim Burton Batman.

I mean, I'm not completely apposed to any and all change. But this movie just royally hit me the wrong way.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Did you like the Mutanimals tho? Aside from Bebop and Rocksteady, that is. Cuz I loved them. Except for the singing one.

Just realized. With the new status quo, who else could their new villains be?

I'm ok with April switching races with Rise and here (but holy cow, Leo? LEO?!?). She hasn't been a reporter for three incarnations now (scientist in 2003, kid in Nick, trying lotsa jobs in Rise until the end) either soooo I like that that aspect is back. Also, I was chortling in the theater during her defining moment. I felt both horrible but not guilty, hahaha

Splinter, I was more about not liking Jackie Chan's voice acting. Character wise, there was progression, so that's ok. They actually foreshadowed the end with him having that childhood (?) friend who got killed at the start.

Caldwin

Citizen
Did you like the Mutanimals tho? Aside from Bebop and Rocksteady, that is. Cuz I loved them. Except for the singing one.

Just realized. With the new status quo, who else could their new villains be?

I'm ok with April switching races with Rise and here (but holy cow, Leo? LEO?!?). She hasn't been a reporter for three incarnations now (scientist in 2003, kid in Nick, trying lotsa jobs in Rise until the end) either soooo I like that that aspect is back. Also, I was chortling in the theater during her defining moment. I felt both horrible but not guilty, hahaha

Splinter, I was more about not liking Jackie Chan's voice acting. Character wise, there was progression, so that's ok. They actually foreshadowed the end with him having that childhood (?) friend who got killed at the start.
I actually do like the fact that they made it into a bigscreen movie. Seeing Ray, Mondo, Leatherhead, Wingnut and the others getting some screen time was nice. It was mostly just making Rocksteady and Bebop good guys that threw me.

New villians? There's no shortage of them: Rat King, Krang, Purple Dragons, Aragon, Savanti, Bishop, Hun...

As far as April goes, I'm not even so much irritated by April specifically as much as the double standard in general. But I've already said enough about that. I have no wish to draw it out.

Splinter just, I mean, Splinter just isn't Splinter. He's an archetype. He's the wise, stoic master who is supposed to be the rock you always count on. He may not always be perfect, but he's the one you can count on. He's the Miyagi. He's the Rayden. He's the Picard. This and Rise just really kinda ruin that archetype and I particularly don't like to see him as a bigot, no matter how honestly he came by it.

Now...on to more positive things, one thing I will give this movie is that you can tell what the heck is going on. When most action movies some in with shaky cam and fast fast cuts that make it so you can't even tell who's on screen, I have to give this movie points for actually being able to see the action.

As far as the tone goes...that's also part of the meh for me. I mean, you have your light hearted turtles and you have your dark and gritty turtles. I'm fine with light hearted turtles as long as they don't go into concentrated ADHD like Rise. And I'll hand it to Mutant Mayhem. They did not go ADHD like Rise. It felt like they took it to the line a few times, particularly when absolutely everyone on screen were trying to talk over eachother at the same time. That was a bit of a headache. But for the most part, they kept it light hearted without going into that territory.

Still, I'm the one who like likes my turtles gritty. Like, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an 'R' rated TMNT at some point that really lets Casey and Raph go to town. But even something like the first live action movie where it was still PG, but boy oh boy did it have its dramatic moments!

I don't know. As far as would I recommend it to someone else? I don't know. I personally felt pretty meh about it. But I guess I can see why others would enjoy it. I'm going to have to say to get someone else's opinion on this one, because I just wasn't feeling it.

That said, I do own it now on Amazon digital, so I'm probably going to see it again at some point. Who knows? Maybe by then I'll be in more of a mood to enjoy it.

Caldwin

Citizen
I found this at Was-Mart today.

IMG_2668.JPG

In case you've never read the old comics (what kind of fan are you), the toy is a direct reference to this.

IMG_2673.jpeg

Here it is out of the package and with the alt head.

IMG_2669.JPG

For those of you who haven't read the old comics (seriously, like honestly, what kind of fan are you), that thing in his hand is a thermite grenade.

IMG_2674.jpeg

Here's a comparison with a Mirage Shredder I got from Loot Crate.

IMG_2670.JPG

Different hands, different torso and different legs. But it seems like everything else was from the same mold.

IMG_2672.JPG

I don't always go through all of the accessories, but this one had some nice one. The usual hands of course, but also the thermite grenade and the shredded armor. It's like they really wanted you to be able to recreate some scenes from the original comic.

IMG_2675.jpeg

Caldwin

Citizen
*shrugs*

Given the sketchiness of the ori comic, I thought NECA did a heckuva job. In any case, I can only think of two other Shredder toys with a maskless option off the top of my head. So it's nice to have another.

Top Bottom