Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
?!?

You mean the weird as all hex Pigeon Pete is 1987 CANON?!?!

Holy cow, the Nick TMNT writers were absolute fan freaks! That's just absolutely crazy! Wow! Kudos to them, dang!

InShot_20220716_015517709.jpg

Shadewing

Citizen
The IDW comic pulls these kinda deep cuts as well. Its kinda amazing finding what obscure stuff from the 80's series gets modernized.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Let me know if they ever bring back Manx Verminator X from the Archie comics. I always thought he was so cool.

Isn't the Forever War project finished yet? It's been... forever.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
On the first part...sorta.

Spoilers for later in 2012 TMNT:

As for Forever War, I think they're still waiting on a few last touches. And...I guess the organizer lives in Russia. So...that complicates things, getting things delivered and/or buying a collection from them.

The Forever War -- pencils are done by Chris Allan, the whole story is lettered. Inks in progress, for now done two parts of five. Coloring also in work. Also there will be two backup story - one from Jim Lawson (as soon as he'll finish artwork for Andrew Modeen's 'The Shredder'). Another one by Chris. Aaaaaand maybe... another one by Ken Mitchroney!
Some worldwide situation makes problems for payments/shipping, but I'll figure out something by the time when the books will be done. Sorry if I'm not respond on your messages for a while -- I see them all and will answer for sure.
The forum thread above has some preview art of the book. It's probably going to be a bit before it sees the light of day.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Okay, so I just finished Season 3. Sooooo, Splinter killed, the Earth and everyone still on it destroyed...

Now, I'm okay with this because I fully expect this will all be undone in Season 4 and everything will be okay again. But seriousl...WTF!!!!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
On the first part...sorta.

Spoilers for later in 2012 TMNT:
Oh hex, I think I remember that now. Yeah, I remember the other clan name but I guess I forgot about that one.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Okay, so I just finished Season 3. Sooooo, Splinter killed, the Earth and everyone still on it destroyed...

Now, I'm okay with this because I fully expect this will all be undone in Season 4 and everything will be okay again. But seriousl...WTF!!!!
You know what the worst part about that was for me? Not that they did all that, but that not too long after, Nickelodeon aired the Power Rangers Dino Supercharge season finale, which did almost the exact same thing for its finale, but so much worse.

It honestly felt like a bad ripoff of that TMNT season finale.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As for Forever War, I think they're still waiting on a few last touches. And...I guess the organizer lives in Russia. So...that complicates things, getting things delivered and/or buying a collection from them.
The forum thread above has some preview art of the book. It's probably going to be a bit before it sees the light of day.
Oh my god, this is still happening?!? 🙀

Caldwin

Citizen
Sorry about this, but this is one of those days at work where there's nothing to do and I'm trying desperately to just stay awake. So I'm going to do some ratings.

NES Game
First game based on the TMNT. I have to hand it to them, this game isn't terrible for a first home game. You can play as any turtle at any time. They each have strengths and weaknesses. And the controls actually are pretty tight. And you know what, while the difficulty will be brought up in the negatives, let's not forget that in the days in Nintenhard, it was never expected that you should be able to always get past the first couple levels.

That said, all I have to say about the difficulty is Damn Dam level and people know what I'm saying. And it doesn't get any easier. And while Nintendo games at the time were supposed to be hard, this was probably too much for kids. "But, Caldwin, who said this was for kids? There was an adult oriented comic before the kids show." While true, the inclusion of Rocksteady, Bebop and a Splinter that actually is Hamato Yoshi, we can tell this was aimed at the kids show demographic...and they probably made it a bit too Nintenhard.

B+

Arcade Game
Holy crap, would you look at that? The sprites look just like the cartoon. Every arcade had this game and every kid played it. And there isn't a single character here that kids wouldn't recognize. Nostalgia alone means this is going to be scored high.

While very good in its own way, it's sequel did everything this one does only better.

A++

TMNT II The Arcade Game
The arcade game comes home. I played the hell out of this. It has everything the arcade game has plus two new stages, Fly Baxter Stockman...and no more quarter munching.

The graphic and gameplay really just can't begin to compare to its arcade counterpart. The next game also does everything this one does only better.

B

TMNT Arcade II: Turtles in Time
Even better graphics than the first. Fighting is tightened up and tossing Foot Soldiers towards the screen never gets old.

Where the heck is Rocksteady and Bebop? Who the heck is Cement Man? Yeah, Google search will tell you Cement Man was in a single episode but who besides the most hardcore of fans would know that?

S

TMNT III The Manhattan Project
Faster paced than TMNT II...more moves, slightly better graphics.

There's really bad slowdown when there's too much on the screen. This was also so close to the end of the NES's lifespan, not too many people actually played this.

B-

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
This is actually widely considered to be better than its arcade counterpart. Graphics are just as good. Cement Man is replaced with Slash. Bebop and Rocksteady replace Tokka and Rahzar, but no worries because they just get moved up to an added Technodrome level that wasn't in the arcade. Rat King also makes an appearance. This game has widely been considered the number 1 TMNT game with nothing ever challenging that statement until Shredder's Revenge.

Fighting is a bit simplified from the arcade and bosses follow a very predictable pattern compared to the more unpredictable arcade version.

S

Hyperstone Heist
Decent graphics and it playes alright. If you've played Turtles in Time too much and want something different, this will scratch the itch.

It's obvious Genesis did this game because they couldn't get Turtles in Time. Overly long levels cause some really bad pacing issues. Levels and most bosses are Frankensteined from levels in other Turtles games. Nothing original here.

C

Tournament Fighters
Very Street Fighteresque. Great graphics and a roster that borrows from the cartoon, the Mirage and Archie Comics.

Hot take, I just really didn't enjoy this. I only played the SNES version, so maybe my opinion will change when I play the Genesis version when the Cowabunga Collection comes out. But like, even when I'm not using my main, I can usually do decently at Street Fighter. But this game just kicks my butt and the controls just aren't comfortable for me. I just can't even with this game. Hot take and I'm probably going to take some flak, but...

F

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Based on the 2003 cartoon, this takes the brawler into 3D fairly well. Hit detection is decent. Graphics are decent. It's not terrible.

Adam West Batman sound effects appearing on screen after every punch gets annoying. Beat 'em Ups are best kept short, otherwise it gets repetitive and tedious. This got really old really fast. Also, while following the source material closely is usually a good thing, this follows the show so closely that you might as well go watch the show.

D

Battle Nexus
At least they got rid of the Adam West Batman sound effects. You could also unlock the original Arcade game.

If the first game was boring and monotonous, this is just more of the same. Arcade game doesn't have the original music or voice acting due to rights issues

B- (and it only scored so high because it included the arcade game before Arcade 1Up existed)

Mutant Nightmare
Finally included 4-player. You can unlock Turtles in Time.

Even with 4-Player, it's more of the same. Like Battle Nexus, the music in Turtles in Time had to be replaced. There was also an annoying high pitched cacophony during time warp transitions.

B- (again, only scored so high for the inclusion of Turtles in Time)

Shredder's Revenge
Finally, after all this time we get a new TMNT beat em up. Not only do we get the turtles, but: Splinter, April and Casey Jones join the fray. They have all the familiar faces you could want (Rocksteady, Bebop, Tokka, Rahzar, Baxter Stockman, Leatherhead, Rat King, Chrome Dome, Slash). Play controls are tight. Every character has his/her own style and feel. You can have up to 6 people playing at once.

[negatives go here]

S

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
That said, all I have to say about the difficulty is Damn Dam level and people know what I'm saying. And it doesn't get any easier. And while Nintendo games at the time were supposed to be hard, this was probably too much for kids. "But, Caldwin, who said this was for kids? There was an adult oriented comic before the kids show." While true, the inclusion of Rocksteady, Bebop and a Splinter that actually is Hamato Yoshi, we can tell this was aimed at the kids show demographic...and they probably made it a bit too Nintenhard.

B+

Personally, I feel like the game is trying to do both. Like this was initially designed to be based on the comics, just look at the original cover art: Everyone is in Red, and not the multicolored headbands despite the in-game sprites using cartoon colors. Outside of a few things, the game overall isn't very cartoon-based. Like everything after this? Heavily cartoon based, but this? I highly suspect it was in-development before the cartoon aired as they were trying to get toys and stuff off the ground; but got told the toys would only happen if there was a cartoon. So I could easily see a game being pitched during this time as well. Then the 5 part mini-series airs and becomes popular so they decide to take what they have and add what plot and characters from the cartoon that they can to target both audiences.

Caldwin

Citizen
Interesting. Raphael meets Mona Lisa and falls in love. All well and good except I know Alopex shows up later. This could be awkward.

Casey finds the lament configuration, but instead of cynobytes, it releases a creepy genie with an agenda. Casey's arc was predictable, but fun to watch.

Caldwin

Citizen
Next episode...Journey to the center of Mikey's brain. Sooooo...short episode then?

Edit:
Keep your eyes out for a reference to the Dam level in the 2012 space episodes.

Can you give me a hint on what episode?

Edit Edit:
Found it.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
What's the dam reference in the space season? I must have recognized it when I saw it the first time but it's been so long.

Games wise, I thought the NES TMNT 2 beat em up looked better than the Manhattan Project. Manhattan Project also had that weird move where all the guys would use their weapons to flip the enemies over their heads, even Mikey's nunchucks. Odd.

I always wondered who the polar bear Tora (?) was in the ice level boss. He looked cool but he wasn't in the comics or tv show?

Top Bottom