Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm just hoping for a Monstructor KO at this point. If a new one can't bother to be good then I'd rather have the original design.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
They definitely don't have the status that would warrant refurbishing or reverse-engineering the molds. Unless they find the pristine G1 molds in a warehouse somewhere, the best we're getting is that 3rd party one that is passable if you can look past them looking like they were made of Lego and having stupid expensive shells. Also the hilariously awful bird guy.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
7vXXbbqh.jpg

Mixed up a shade of orange closer to the orange on the toy. Mostly hidden but also painted the silver paws in metallic red for teh geewun and the silver being kinda out of place

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
So honestly, I don't really get any knockoffs. When I was a kid, knockoffs were synonymous with terrible quality.

But lately I've been thinking that the quality of what Hasbro has been offering hasn't been all that great either. I mean, just look at that Rumble a couple pages back.

So for those who know, have knockoffs actually gotten to the point of being better than the official stuff? Honest question.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
It depends.

There's still plenty of the shitty quality dollar-store and Big Lots quality KOs and also plenty of the 'just as good/sometimes arguably better quality than the official' KOs.

The key difference is you usually have to order the higher quality KOs online.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's a coin toss. Even the companies that make high quality KOs sometimes go back to garbage for one release.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
Are we talking about "knockoffs" as in direct copies of pre-existing molds, or as in third party figures made to resemble Hasbro characters? Because there is a bunch of third party stuff that is at least on par with what HasTak puts out, if not better. Dr Wu's cassette duocons are solid toys that go well with the Siege/Earthrise cassettes, for example, and they're not bank-breakers. You should look for reviews of third party figures just in case there's any serious issues, but if official product is dropping the ball, why not look into other options?

unluckiness

Citizen
I believe the generally accepted use in the TF fandom for the term “knockoff” is copies of existing toys. New mold figures meant to be HasTak IP are usually “3rd party” or “unofficial” toys.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
I always thought it just meant "anything obviously meant to be Transformers that isn't Hasbro." Maybe that's a bit too broad?

if official product is dropping the ball, why not look into other options?

That's pretty much why I was asking. I just haven't been impressed with Hasbro lately.

unluckiness

Citizen
Way I see it, corporations don’t give a shit about you so just buy whatever you want from a competitor. It’s their job to enforce their IP, not ours.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Main reason I don't go for more 3P stuff is cost. But official stuff is climbing too. Might just be getting priced out of the hobby.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I believe the generally accepted use in the TF fandom for the term “knockoff” is copies of existing toys. New mold figures meant to be HasTak IP are usually “3rd party” or “unofficial” toys.
You just reminded me of that dude on the old version of the site who kept referring to 3P figures as 'counterfeit' and insisted that it was the correct term to refer to them by.

unluckiness

Citizen
Hey, there was that other guy who insisted that these robots with goofy names that look exactly like HasTak properties were all just homages and/or coincidences. It all balances out.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Way I see it, corporations don’t give a shit about you so just buy whatever you want from a competitor. It’s their job to enforce their IP, not ours.
Oh, mine wasn't a moral quandary. I was mostly asking about quality...with a side interest in price and availability.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is actually my first time noticing that MP Lio Convoy has ears. They always got lost in the clutter.

Top Bottom