Masterpiece Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And that's really cool. Honestly.

It's just really unfortunate that a side effect of that resulted in a very dumpy Raiden.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still don't see how realistic trains resulted in a dumpy Raiden while dumpy trains resulted in a lean Raiden.

Don't give Takara an excuse for free. The MP trains have enough mass. It's just not used efficiently.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Yeah - no one is going to confuse the 3P versions as being based on anything more than generic train'ish transportation devices.
I disagree. The 3P versions look close enough to the original source material for me (when I saw some of the original, or similar trains in Japan in real life).

Trains.jpg

Dake

Citizen
It's not an excuse, it's physics. Every Transformer we've ever had makes sacrifices; some get very close in both modes, but there are sacrifices nonetheless. MP-44 is the closest converting, animation-accurate Prime to date. His truck mode is really good, but not exact. Alternators Optimus Prime is a near perfect, 1:24 Dodge Ram but guess what? His bot mode is a long way off.

A train car may have "mass", but in the end, it's a rectangular tube. If the goal is to make it a perfect scale replica of a train car, that will dictate what it can do in its other two modes. It's certainly possible to make MP Raiden's combined mode look like 3P Radiatron, all it takes is money and lots and lots of tiny, folding panels.

I disagree. The 3P versions look close enough to the original source material for me (when I saw some of the original, or similar trains in Japan in real life).

I didn't say they were unrecognizable, but no train collector is going to confuse the two. Like I said, it's fine for me and maybe you, but - once more for the people in the back - the 3P version is not a replica which was one of Takara's stated goals.

Let's try it from another direction: remember the failed Haslab for the Engine of Vengeance? One of the big problems for collectors (along with the price) was that it wasn't a Dodge Charger. If it was significantly cheaper, people may have overlooked the look-alike design - but for the money, people wanted the car to look exactly right. Hasbro thought people wouldn't care, but they did and it failed.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Masterpiece MP-56+

Diaclone-colored yellow Trailbreaker with a toy-accurate head and toy-accurate guns.

Name seems to be "Rigorous" (リゴラス Rigorasu). We'll need to wait for the official Romanization to be sure.

Will likely be added to Hirofumi Ichikawa's Diaclone-themed MP storyline that's been included with each of these Diaclone-colored MPs.

Also includes a "force barrier" accessory for Trailbreaker.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
The yellow on the waist is jarringly wrong. Better to have it silver like the rest or perhaps white if they still wanted contrast but yellow was the wrong call IMO.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I just want the bio and backstory for Rigorous. They're always pretty fun for these new character Masterpieces.

-ZacWilliam, and often pretty weird. Reboost's is wonderfully strange.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Rigorous has been dead for years. His name is just short for Rigor Mortis. He died of shame when someone called him 'yellow bellied' and he realized he actually was. Trangresses all terrain. No known weaknesses. Not to be taken with food.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Straight from TakaraTomy's website, turns out the name is spelled "Riggorus". And is a Decepticon!

xU0okx6.jpg

Also, a closer look reveals that this figure is actually a retool of MP Hoist rather than Trailbreaker. It just uses Trailbreaker's camper top in place of Hoist's towing apparatus. This combination of Trailbreaker parts on the Hoist version of the mold is to make it as toy-accurate as possible.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Man Imma be honest and say it...having the yellow toy eyes on such a cartoon-based Prime head looks wrong. They should've made an alternate toy-accurate head to use as well. (And no, the rounder toon head still doesn't work as a toy-based Prime head, it's closer than the more angular one but still not good enough)

Top Bottom