Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
From a few years ago, but I don't think we discussed it here. The gist is that for all their relentless sadism, Hamas' strategy is going to continue failing because they do not understand their enemy. That likewise goes for Hezbollah, IRGC, and all the leftists now calling rape and infanticide "liberation."

“The Palestinians are always coming here and saying to me, ‘You expelled the French and the Americans. How do we expel the Jews?’ I tell them that the French went back to France and the Americans to America. But the Jews have nowhere to go. You will not expel them.” --Vo Nguyen Giap, Vietnamese defense minister who fought for 40 years to free his country from Japan, France, America, and China

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
On some level, hamas knows that israel (and most israelis.) have no where else to go, which is why their ideology calls for genocide.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
My Palestinian boss just sent the school teachers a message via our social messaging group...

My Boss Lost Family in Gaza - 28.10.23.png

:(

My boss is one of the kindest and hard-working people I know. He often goes without money so that other colleagues get paid and works almost 7 days a week. He even wanted just a few hours to deal with his family getting blown up before coming back to work.

:(

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
THIS is why many people in the world are waving Palestinian flags en-masse. Israel's response is DISGUSTING. There's no excuse for this behaviour, even in light of what Hamas did to them.

The damage done to what ever is left of Israel's reputation globally is huge, IMO.
2021-05-22T153334Z_2029134562_RC22LN956VO2_RTRMADP_3_ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS-FRANCE-PROTEST.jpg

NovaSaber

Citizen
I saw people talking about this when it happened but missed that HRW had confirmed it:

NovaSaber

Citizen
And a Jew was fired for caring enough about Palestinian people to...retweet an Onion article.

The furor began on 13 October when Eisen, an HHMI-funded geneticist at the University of California (UC), Berkeley, praised one of The Onion’s fake news stories on X, formerly Twitter. The story bore the headline: “Dying Gazans Criticized For Not Using Last Words To Condemn Hamas.” Eisen said, “The Onion speaks with more courage, insight and moral clarity than the leaders of every academic institution put together. I wish there were a @TheOnion university.”

Criticism of Eisen, who is Jewish, for a perceived lack of sympathy for the Israelis killed by Hamas immediately erupted. But the scientist, who is known for being provocative, did not retreat. A day later, he posted, “Every sane person on Earth is horrified and traumatized by what Hamas did and wants it to never happen again. All the more so as a Jew with Israeli family. But I am also horrified by the collective punishment already being meted out on Gazans, and the worse that is about to come. … The Onion is not making light of the situation. And nor am I. These articles are using satire to make a deadly serious point about this horrific tragedy.”

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
If we can all recite from memory the reasons why the Salvation Army, Autism Speaks, Emily's List, and the Supreme Court are unreliable and compromised - and I suspect everyone here can - then we should be able to recognize that Human Rights Watch has behaved in a biased manner towards Israel in the past and doesn't get an automatic pass as the judge of truth. Their own founder says they are unreliable on I/P.

1698234464977.jpeg

1698234497811.jpeg

Israel has been repeatedly accused of using white phosphorus in the last decade or so and it always turns out to be bogus.

Last edited:

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
As for The Onion, they constantly, robotically mock and deride Israelis for *checks notes* responding to accusations against them that have been shown to be wrong in the past, and also for not wanting to be raped and murdered. It is their One Joke, like the Babylon Bee's transphobia.

I think it's fair to say their latest crop of smug lefty grad students has crossed the line into antisemitism.

This one's just the cherry on top: clinical about attacks on Israel, shrieking with pity and outrage about Gaza, and ending with a lefty-student shibboleth about "none of us are free until all of us are free" AS THE PUNCHLINE.

I wouldn't have fired a guy for posting this - but I would have made him take the post down, because it was inflammatory, unfair, and stupid, and recommended he find a humor source that was actually funny and not just "latest content from your known IP".

Last edited:

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
This is surprisingly fair by Youtube Explainer Bro standards, he does a good job walking through a tense topic and not going overboard.

I would just add that people who still think, like the explainer does, that "any criticism of Israel gets called antisemitic," should really look at what the purported "criticism" was saying. We've seen huge rallies now in support of the rape and murder of Jewish people who happen to live in Israel, starting on Oct. 8th, the day after the massacre and before Israel had even done anything. That isn't "criticism" and it's very, very common. I sometimes ask people to show me what they consider to be "just criticism" that was unfairly called antisemitic, and what I've gotten back has been stuff from pro bono lawyers for Neo Nazis or a guy who write that 17th century Polish massacres of Jews were actually okay because the Jews were rich (which they weren't, not that it would remotely make a difference). "Israel's army is overreacting. There should be a ceasefire now." is not antisemitic - even if it's wrong it's not antisemitic - and I really have never seen anyone call a statement like that antisemitic.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

From the article West Bank is apparently both getting hit with Hamas rockets that missed, and some sort of small Israeli action mentioned near the bottom of the "Key Points" section, but sounds like most of the injuries were related to demonstrations.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I would just add that people who still think, like the explainer does, that "any criticism of Israel gets called antisemitic," should really look at what the purported "criticism" was saying.
Oh, I'm sure it's a true statement as long as you have a low enough bar for what counts as "getting called" something. If you're a YouTuber with an audience of any significant size—like this guy is—you'll probably get called every nasty name in the book just for existing, and if it happens in the context of discussing politics, it's not going to be obvious how much of it is just YouTube comments being YouTube comments and how much of it is political arguments being political arguments.

NovaSaber

Citizen
"Israel's army is overreacting. There should be a ceasefire now." is not antisemitic - even if it's wrong it's not antisemitic - and I really have never seen anyone call a statement like that antisemitic.
Greta Thunberg said “Today we strike in solidarity with Palestine and Gaza. The world needs to speak up and call for an immediate ceasefire, justice and freedom for Palestinians and all civilians affected.” and her autism octopus got accused of being a Nazi kraken.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
Greta Thunberg said “Today we strike in solidarity with Palestine and Gaza. The world needs to speak up and call for an immediate ceasefire, justice and freedom for Palestinians and all civilians affected.” and her autism octopus got accused of being a Nazi kraken.

The octopus is a for-real symbol of antisemitic conspiracies and has been for over a century.

1698362415396.jpeg

1698362433375.jpeg

1698362453176.jpeg

It isn't ALWAYS antisemitic, just like watermelon isn't ALWAYS racist; it needs to be evaluated in context. I am quite sure Greta Thunberg didn't know this, and her use of the symbol accidental (apparently it's a stimming / soothing thing), because she is ignorant and has no exposure to Jewish or Middle Eastern history. What's much more important is that her post was exclusively "stand with Gaza, free Palestine," now, after everything that happened. She couldn't find it in her heart to be sad about a fascist death squad massacring Jewish teenagers and taking dozens of actual babies hostage. Her exclusion of care for Jewish people - THAT was deliberate. And her unaccomplished, totemic, slam-poetry efforts at climate activism don't excuse her for it.

More thoughts from an Israeli who - unlike Thunberg - actually works to protect the environment:

Last edited:

Teufel

Citizen
The Palestinians burnt thousands of acres of natural reserve, forest, etc. to ash when they were using balloons and kites strapped with Molotov cocktails and flammable materials to float over into Israel in several hundred arson attacks. "Climate Justice Now" in the context of this conflict is nonsensical, but I don't expect any of the morons in that picture to actually know anything about it.

Also, people seeing supposed Nazi imagery around every corner and freaking out about it on social media has been a regular thing for several years. It seems like a silly reach in that particular case, but in the aftermath of the bloodiest massacre of Jews in decades? And the open support for it by many on the activist side of the left? In an environment of spiking antisemitism? And are "autism octopi" really that common? Should it be widely known what that is? There have been far more ridiculous ass pulls.

Top Bottom