Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
So why the difference for the Belgium incident?
As far as I can tell, there's no difference. In the articles below, the BBC didn't refer to the gunman as a terrorist. The only time they used the term "terror attack" was when a quotation was used:

It would seem, to me, that the BBC hasn't broken this tradition.

Last edited:

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
As far as I can tell, there's no difference. In the articles below, the BBC didn't refer to the gunman as a terrorist. The only time they used the term "terror attack" was when a quotation was used:

- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67129117

- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67131128

It would seem, to me, that the BBC hasn't broken this tradition.
IMG_5056.jpeg

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Thanks. It seems to have been a error, rather than a change of stance.
"...On Monday night, the BBC headlined a story on its website: “Brussels shooting: Suspect at large after two Swedes killed in terror attack.”

Social media users pointed out that the headline appeared to go against the BBC policy of not using the word terrorists.

Minutes after it was published, the headline was amended to eliminate any mention of terror. Instead, it read: “Brussels shooting: Two Swedes killed and suspect still at large.”

The BBC said it had made an error. A spokesman said: “This was a mistake – the headline should have attributed the words, so it was swiftly changed..."

(Source: - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...r-attack-hypocrisy-shooting-brussels-belgium/ )

By "attributed to", I suspect that they were referring to a quote in the BBC article, by the Swedish Prime Minster:

..."Everything suggests this is a terror attack targeted at Sweden and Swedish citizens," said the country's Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson..."

If that's true, the BBC should have used speech marks in the headline, such as:

- Brussels shooting: Suspect at large after two Swedes killed in "terror attack".

Last edited:

Anonymous X

Citizen
That’s definitely the long-established BBC style on reporting on these issues, yes. Every time this happens, elements of the commercial media will attack the BBC for doing what they’ve been doing for the best part of a century. I did watch some BBC News coverage and it’s definitely not revelling in the atrocities committed by Hamas by any means!

Teufel

Citizen
Berlin

Two assailants threw Molotov cocktails at a synagogue, fortunately they only hit pavement.

Link

Speaking in Egypt on Wednesday, Olaf Scholz said he was “outraged” by what police called a suspected “serious attempted arson” that took place in the early hours of Wednesday in the Mitte district of the city.

“Two unidentified people came on foot and threw two burning bottles filled with liquid in the direction of the synagogue on Brunnenstrasse,” police said in a statement. “The bottles landed on the pavement and broke, extinguishing the fire.”

There were no reported injuries and the building, which belongs to the Kahal Adass Jisroel community, was not harmed. As the masked assailants fled the scene, security forces outside the building – which also serves as a daycare and a school – noticed “a small fire” on the sidewalk and were able to put it out, police added.

Tunisia

A mob razed a synagogue, although Jews no longer live in the area (can't imagine why...) and so at least no one was hurt.

Link

Hundreds of Tunisians reportedly burnt the el-Hamma Synagogue on Tuesday evening, according to videos and images posted on TikTok and X/Twitter. In the initial videos, no police or emergency services are seen responding to the incident.

The synagogue, located in the Gabès Governorate, does not function as a place of worship since there is currently no Jewish community that lives in the town of el-Hamma, according to The Geo-Museum of North African and Middle Eastern Jewish Life.

Videos posted the morning after show much of the synagogue complex burnt, with Arabic graffiti sprayed on the walls of synagogue rooms which remained intact.

Lebanon

A mob hurled Molotov cocktails at the US Embassy in Beirut, catching part of the complex on fire (how much damage is unclear, I assume not much or it'd be a bigger story?)

Link

Hundreds of protestors gathered outside the US embassy in Beirut, waving Palestinian flags, just hours before President Joe Biden’s visit to neighboring Israel.

Rioters threw what appeared to be Molotov cocktails, according to reports, causing a fire to start inside the embassy compound.

Protestors also blocked roads near the embassy and leading to Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport, the State Department said.

NYC

A man punched a woman in the face on the subway and said it was because "you're a Jew."

MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Police are looking for a man they say attacked a woman in a hate crime incident in Manhattan.

It happened Saturday, October 14 inside of the 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue Subway Station in Midtown, where authorities say a 29-year-old female was punched in the face by an unknown male.

According to authorities, when the victim asked the attacker why he punched her, he responded, because "you are Jewish" before fleeing the scene.

A string of violence in the aftermath of the hospital lie. And even though there's been enough info out to disprove it, or at least cast significant doubt it was Israel, Rashida Tlaib is stilling clinging to it and citing it as an example of "genocide" and "killing a vast majority."

Reckless, false, and stupid. It's also incitement.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Berlin

Two assailants threw Molotov cocktails at a synagogue, fortunately they only hit pavement.

Link

Tunisia

A mob razed a synagogue, although Jews no longer live in the area (can't imagine why...) and so at least no one was hurt.

Link

Lebanon

A mob hurled Molotov cocktails at the US Embassy in Beirut, catching part of the complex on fire (how much damage is unclear, I assume not much or it'd be a bigger story?)

Link

NYC

A man punched a woman in the face on the subway and said it was because "you're a Jew."

A string of violence in the aftermath of the hospital lie. And even though there's been enough info out to disprove it, or at least cast significant doubt it was Israel, Rashida Tlaib is stilling clinging to it and citing it as an example of "genocide" and "killing a vast majority."

Reckless, false, and stupid. It's also incitement.

Meanwhile, in the US...

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The State Department must be full of anti-Semites.

Or they could simply be people who are concerned about the suffering of normal, innocent people in an area of the world, or against the current right-wing Israeli government and/or who have no anti-semitism involved in any way shape or form?

I think it's rather unhelpful to make such broad statements about someone being "anti-semitic" without any facts or citation to back them up, don't you?

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
The State Department must be full of anti-Semites.

I'd be quite interested to read their "Dissent Cable." I am open to hearing ideas and believe people should be explicit in what they mean.

Josh Paul is resigning now, after 11 years at State. He lasted through the entire lifespan of ISIS, the Syrian Civil War, Ukraine, Jerusalem embassy move, through a phone call with Taiwan, through openly leaking intel to Russia, to the Mar-a-Lago document scandal, through TRUMP PHYSICALLY WALKING INTO NORTH KOREA, and through the bungled, defeated withdrawal from Afghanistan. And he lasted through Joe Biden arming most of the world's autocracies and dictatorships.

He lasted through all that but is resigning now, when Israel is getting back to its feet after enduring the second Babi Yar. I have questions.

I am very concerned by what might be about to happen in Gaza. A ground invasion would be terrible and might kill tens of thousands of people. It seems like an obvious disaster and trap. And also, what Hamas has done.... there's no coming back to the status quo ante, no return to what was. If the State Dept doesn't want a full military commitment - and nobody should - then they should be talking about their preferred ways for Hamas to disappear from Gaza. They should at least say something they'd TRY. Because all sides in this conflict have agency - it isn't that only Israel acts, its neighbors are acted-on, and Hamas deeds are as automatic and unchangeable as the moon pulling the tides.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
I would be very shocked if he remains in power.

He was pissing off the majority of the Country *before* being where the buck stops for one of the worst attacks in their History.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
"...Shayan Sardarizadeh posted on X that untrue posts from verified accounts, which pay for a blue tick, had been boosted across the platform. He said X’s crowd-sourced factchecking function, community notes, could not cope with the number of false posts.

“I’ve been factchecking on Twitter for years, and there’s always plenty of misinformation during major events. But the deluge of false posts in the last two days, many boosted via Twitter Blue [now X Premium], is something else. Neither factcheckers nor Community Notes can keep up with this..."

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I would be very shocked if he remains in power.

He was pissing off the majority of the Country *before* being where the buck stops for one of the worst attacks in their History.
Not to mention this...

Anonymous X

Citizen
I just reminded myself that Netanyahu has been around for so long, that he first became prime minister at almost the same time the pilot of Beast Wars was airing in the States.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Serious question, by the way: How did someone no one likes keep getting reelected, anyway? Is Israel's election system even more broken than ours? Is prime minister a lifetime position? (But I repeat myself.) What's the deal?

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
Serious question, by the way: How did someone no one likes keep getting reelected, anyway? Is Israel's election system even more broken than ours? Is prime minister a lifetime position? (But I repeat myself.) What's the deal?

Top Bottom